Community Forum

XR11 remote OK/Enter button not working with TV after switching inputs

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: XR11 remote OK/Enter button not working with TV after switching inputs

@lawlessmj wrote:

I have an xr11 remote.  With my old Samsung TV, The TV input button on the xr11 allowed me select my Samsung DVD as an input device.  I just purchase a new Samsung N5300 TV and the same XR11 remote will not let me select the same Samsung DVD as an input device.  Can't figure it out. 

for your new TV do a test. using the TV's remote press your input button to change inputs. does it change when you don't hit any kind of enter button or does the menu just go away? if you have to press the TV remote's OK button or enter button to make your input selection then the X1 remote won't be able to make the input selection work on that TV.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

I have an xr11 remote.  With my old Samsung TV, The TV input button on the xr11 allowed me select my Samsung DVD as an input device.  I just purchase a new Samsung N5300 TV and the same XR11 remote will not let me select the same Samsung DVD as an input device.  Can't figure it out.

Contributor

You didn't mention before that the buttons aren't reprogrammable, but the remote actually is programmable:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/programming-your-xfinity-remote

In fact, while setting up the box initially, the menu I went through had me step through volume/channel button programming, which had me enter codes as well as select the manufacturer of my soundbar and figure out which x-digit number was the right code!

I was just hoping someone here had already gone through the right steps to program any sort of OK/cancel/whatever button to exit out of a TV's input menu... but if not I'll just dig through the internet more and try to see if I find anything.

PS: In Comcast remotes I used years ago (since I haven't had cable TV for that long), the Setup button let me program certain buttons/frequencies, but I was only showed that by a tech.

I guess I'll just dig through the internet and manuals for the answer.

reprogrammable

Official Employee

I understand fine, to answer again, the buttons aren’t reprogrammable. The OK button is tied to the cable box functions, not the tv. The remote doesn’t/couldn’t know that you’re on a different tv input. You’re not going to like the answer, but to do what you want to accomplish, use your actual tv remotes or purchase a real universal remote. The X1 remotes aren’t meant to be universal remotes
Contributor

ComcastAndrew, I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying here.

"The ok button is tied to the search function"

Again, if I'm on another input like Blu-ray or PS4, then the OK button is useless with the set-top box... if it's doing things that I can't see, don't you think that's a problem?!

Is the set-top box unable to see that the TV is not set to the set-top HDMI input? If so, OK, then the OK button is doing things when I click it that I can't see when I'm on another input...

So, back to my original question: What buttons if any can work like an OK button for the TV to cancel the input screen? The Last button doesn't do anything, the circle-arrow does nothing... which button can work like the Last, OK, or Exit button on the TV remote?!

Can I program one of the buttons on the X1 to send the same signal as one of the buttons on the TV remote?!?!?!!?!?!?

Official Employee

The ok button is tied to the search function and the channel number input ( you need an ok push after entering a channel number). The x1 remotes aren’t universal remotes, if your tv needs an ok push to switch remotes, you’ll need to use your tv remote
Contributor

If the OK button is tied to the set-top box, then what is it for if I'm not in the guide? If I'm just watching a channel, what is it supposed to be for?

Also, if I'm on another input, like "DVD" or "PS4", what good is the OK button to the set-top box?

Also, it seems (the point of) my original question was forgotten... I need something to tell the TV that it's OK to use that input selection and hide the menu... I'm currently seeing no way to do this from the X remote even though the TV remote has three buttons that have this effect.

Expert

@dhinged wrote:

Why is that the way it functions? That seems nonsensical. All buttons work for the TV except for the "OK" button?!

the "OK" (enter) button is tied to the set top box not to the TV so the TV does not receive a signal from the button.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Contributor

Why is that the way it functions? That seems nonsensical. All buttons work for the TV except for the "OK" button?!

Official Employee

It’s working how intended, you can cycle through the inputs but if your tv requires an OK push after choosing an input, it’s not going to work. Sorry, that’s how it’s always functioned.
Contributor

XR11 remote OK/Enter button not working with TV after switching inputs

So everything else I use on the remote that I need works except when I try to "confirm" a selected TV Input (like Cable, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc), the center "Enter" button (in between the arrow buttons) does nothing... no other button will "confirm" the selection, so the input menu won't close.

The TV is Samsung and its remote has several buttons that close the menu, such as "Enter" or "Return" or "Menu", but nothing on the Xfinity remote is having the same affect.

Is there some fix for this or some way to troubleshoot this?