Community Forum

XR11, loses IR emission

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

XR11, loses IR emission

My XR11 remote loses IR emission on a regular basis.  It can be restored by removing batteries for a second, and then reinserting. The remote has been fine for several months but just started doing this, perhaps every other evening.  Fresh batteries have been installed twice.

When this occurs, RF emission is fine, it is just IR.  I do not suspect a programming issue, even though I have tried reprogramming, since there is zero IR emission as verified by looking at IR emitter with iPhone camera. 

Time for a new remote?  If so, is the XR11 still available, as I have several TV's and would like to keep remotes the same and I know there is a newer remote available that I really do not want.  Is there a magic word or phrase that works on Xfinity store employees to minimize my anquish, and theirs. 

Expert

Re: XR11, loses IR emission

@justsam wrote:

My XR11 remote loses IR emission on a regular basis.  It can be restored by removing batteries for a second, and then reinserting. The remote has been fine for several months but just started doing this, perhaps every other evening.  Fresh batteries have been installed twice.

When this occurs, RF emission is fine, it is just IR.  I do not suspect a programming issue, even though I have tried reprogramming, since there is zero IR emission as verified by looking at IR emitter with iPhone camera. 

Time for a new remote?  If so, is the XR11 still available, as I have several TV's and would like to keep remotes the same and I know there is a newer remote available that I really do not want.  Is there a magic word or phrase that works on Xfinity store employees to minimize my anquish, and theirs. 

May I ask why you don't leave the remote connected by RF?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: XR11, loses IR emission

I do indeed use the remote to control the STB via RF.  There always remains those items that at least for today's Comcast technology are controlled via IR, since they are TV functions and not STB functions.  In my case it is TV power, volume, and input selection.

If Comcast were to come up with IP control via a handheld remote such as the XR11 that would be good, but my experience is that there are still some latency issues with IP.  Clearly the STB has IP control, just not handheld remote. 

A shout out for the Petaluma Comcast store, that understood my remote issue, and gave a new unit with no hassle.