Community Forum

XG2v2-P box works but XiD-P does not

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

XG2v2-P box works but XiD-P does not

My basement is wired through a powered splitter just below our main dvr and I can get the xg2v2 box to work on the outlet, but not the Xid-p. Same outlet and everything, eventually goes to RDK-10000 error. It happens in all basement jacks the same. Xg2v2 works and Xid-p does not. I can get the Xid-p to work upstairs on the main and second floor though. Any ideas?
Official Employee

Re: XG2v2-P box works but XiD-P does not

@wolverine3 wrote:
My basement is wired through a powered splitter just below our main dvr and I can get the xg2v2 box to work on the outlet, but not the Xid-p. Same outlet and everything, eventually goes to RDK-10000 error. It happens in all basement jacks the same. Xg2v2 works and Xid-p does not. I can get the Xid-p to work upstairs on the main and second floor though. Any ideas?

All cable outlets need to be on the same side of the splitter, also it needs to be able to pass moca. What's the brand? The XiD needs to talk to the dvr to work, the XG2 doesn't need to. That's why the XG2 works and the XiD doesn't. 

Frequent Visitor

I’m not sure what you mean by the same side of the splitter. The splitter is a Comcast installed Extreme. I’ve attached a photo. The larger DVR box comes through this same splitter which is directly above this basement space.
44EBA583-3FD8-4548-BE50-DFC1F606AD18.jpeg
Official Employee

Is everything coming out of that splitter, no splitters before? If not, it would be that splitter you gave isn’t passing moca. Moca is how the X1 box communicates with each other. If it isn’t passing moca it should be replaced with one of the attached
38DA8E53-EA94-402C-9EEF-8DC3DD2F4D2A.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

I don’t believe there are any other splitters, but the house is fairly large and multiple floors including a basement.

Attached is a picture of another splitter we have that I could swap out for the original one I sent. Do you know if it supports Moca?
F104B7FD-C13F-4830-B507-DBC84D9C00C1.jpeg
Official Employee

@wolverine3 wrote:
I don’t believe there are any other splitters, but the house is fairly large and multiple floors including a basement.

Attached is a picture of another splitter we have that I could swap out for the original one I sent. Do you know if it supports Moca?

That's an amplifier. Is that before or after the splitter you posted earlier?

Frequent Visitor

That is a different line altogether in a different part of the house.  We have 8 lines coming into the house.

They ran a single trunk from the street to the side of our house years ago (prior owner). 

From the trunk, there is a splitter that takes the input and produces 8 lines that go into the house in various locations (in-law suite, basement, first floor, 2nd floor).

We have 8 boxes; 1 main DVR, 3 xg2v2, and 4 XiD-P.  The main DVR works fine.  The xg2v2's work everywhere.  The XiD-Ps seem to work in at least 2 locations on the 1st and 2nd floor.

I can't get the XiD-P to work in the in-law suite nor can I get the XiD-Ps to work in the basement.  

The first picture I attached has the main DVR and then the basement jacks (4).  None of the 4 basement jacks work with XiD-Ps, but will with xg2v2.

I thought about just going back to the Xfinity store and asking for them to swap out the XiD-Ps with XG2v2s.

I can swap out the first picture (splitter) with a Moca bypass one and test first if you think that is the solution.

Official Employee

@wolverine3 wrote:

That is a different line altogether in a different part of the house.  We have 8 lines coming into the house.

They ran a single trunk from the street to the side of our house years ago (prior owner). 

From the trunk, there is a splitter that takes the input and produces 8 lines that go into the house in various locations (in-law suite, basement, first floor, 2nd floor).

We have 8 boxes; 1 main DVR, 3 xg2v2, and 4 XiD-P.  The main DVR works fine.  The xg2v2's work everywhere.  The XiD-Ps seem to work in at least 2 locations on the 1st and 2nd floor.

I can't get the XiD-P to work in the in-law suite nor can I get the XiD-Ps to work in the basement.  

The first picture I attached has the main DVR and then the basement jacks (4).  None of the 4 basement jacks work with XiD-Ps, but will with xg2v2.

I thought about just going back to the Xfinity store and asking for them to swap out the XiD-Ps with XG2v2s.

I can swap out the first picture (splitter) with a Moca bypass one and test first if you think that is the solution.

Swapping for XG2 isn't the greatest solution, it will work for live tv/On Demand but because there's moca issues, the XG2 will only access recordings from the cloud, not from the actual dvr. Which may be happening on your equipment now. Which comes first in your setu, the amp or splitter?

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Swapping for XG2 isn't the greatest solution, it will work for live tv/On Demand but because there's moca issues, the XG2 will only access recordings from the cloud, not from the actual dvr. Which may be happening on your equipment now. Which comes first in your setu, the amp or splitter?

I didn't realize my XG2's depended on MoCA to access my X1 DVR's.  

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Just for recordings. If your XG2 can't talk to the dvr, it will play cloud recordings, not the physical dvr copy.

Silver Problem Solver

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

Just for recordings. If your XG2 can't talk to the dvr, it will play cloud recordings, not the physical dvr copy.

I just didn't know it used MoCA to access recordings.  That could be a point of failure if MoCA was turned off in the Gateway.  What about those customers who are using their own modems/routers?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

I’m not sure what you’re talking about and you may be a wee confused. Your gateway has nothing to do with it the DVR in this circumstance.
Frequent Visitor

Attached is the setup outside the house. I believe one of the lines comes into the powered splitter (from the original image of the post). Then if I connect the XiD-p to the same splitter, it doesn’t communicate.
2816563C-F021-48CD-AD95-4735E294A7D3.jpeg
0F08F8DB-5269-46F3-BBC4-8F803335E582.jpeg
8F2C6305-4175-4C63-B13C-383D1DDAB63D.jpeg
Official Employee

So that’s another amp. Are those all feeding your place?
Frequent Visitor

Yes, all of that comes into our house.

Official Employee

What a mess. I think the first thing I would try is to replace the first splitter you posted with just a normal splitter ( if you’re sure that’s where the non-working XiDs is being fed from).
Frequent Visitor

Yeah it is a mess, I’m surprised any of it works. Since the main DVR works, I’ll assume the outside bird’s nest is fine. I have to figure the issue is with the first splitter and it not being Moca capable. So you recommend I replace the first splitter with a Moca compatible one?
Official Employee

Just a normal splitter will work but I would hook up the XG2 in that spot, let it go to live tv, disconnect from the old splitter and verify that’s where it’s being fed from(it will freeze up), just to save you heartache
Frequent Visitor

I’m confused now. I’ve attached a picture of the splitter that I have connected to the XiD-p that doesn’t work and this is the same splitter that is connected to our main DVR.

A XG2 connected to this splitter instead of a XiD-p works fine.

How would a regular splitter help? I thought the theory was that this splitter didn’t support Moca and is way the XG2 works but XiD-p doesn’t.
5B08923B-9E82-4452-9931-92131C063B36.jpeg
Official Employee

@wolverine3 wrote:
I’m confused now. I’ve attached a picture of the splitter that I have connected to the XiD-p that doesn’t work and this is the same splitter that is connected to our main DVR.

A XG2 connected to this splitter instead of a XiD-p works fine.

How would a regular splitter help? I thought the theory was that this splitter didn’t support Moca and is way the XG2 works but XiD-p doesn’t.

Right, the XG2 is independent of the dvr and will work just fine on its own. The XiD needs to talk to the DVR for it to work. It would seem that the powered splitter's ports aren't allowing moca to pass. That's why my suggestion of a non powered regular splitter used by Comcast instead will allow Moca to pass.

Frequent Visitor

OK, I understand now.  Do you have a recommended make and model splitter?

Official Employee

If you can, get this one, stay away from gold plated garbage
9848F747-8E0F-43FF-99B6-7A2F7D33A123.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

Great thanks.  I ordered and will get it Tuesday.  I'll post back on whether it works or not.

Frequent Visitor

I actually had a simple splitter similar to the one you posted and I swapped it out.

It now works with the XG2 and XiD-P boxes!

I need to connect 5 outputs to one splitter, what make/model do you recommend that has at least 5 outs?

The one I tested with only had 4.  I assume it isn't ideal to have splitters daisy-chained together.

Highlighted
Official Employee

I’m sure you can find one somewhere but Comcast doesn’t use them. For now the best option is a 2 way that feeds a 4 way splitter.
Frequent Visitor

Great thanks for the help!

Official Employee

@wolverine3 wrote:

Great thanks for the help!

No problem, once you get everything hooked up I'll take another look at all of your equipment