Community Forum

XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?

Hello everyone,

Just received the new XG1v4 box. Was trying to figure out the best resolution to set it to since I want my OLED to do the upscaling. Turns out not all channels are the same resolution.

So is there a way to set the output resolution to 'native' so that the box passes the signal as is to the TV?
Official Employee

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?

Sorry, presently no there isn’t a native setting on any of the X1 boxes
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Silver Problem Solver

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?

Start by setting the XG1v4 resolution to best available and work from there.  I assume you are not going through an a/v receiver with your HDMI connection?  And, to be sure, you might google for a cheap HDMI 2.2 cable just in case the cable that came with the box isn't up to the job.

 

I bought a short cable because I didn't need 6 feet to connect my TV.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15427&seq=1&format=2

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?


@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Sorry, presently no there isn’t a native setting on any of the X1 boxes

Thanks for your reply.

 

There isn't a hidden service menu or something where it can be turned on?

 

Will this feature be added in the future, and if not, how do we go about requesting that it be added?

 

Is there a list outlining what channels are broadcast in what resolution? Or is there a way the box can show it?

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?


@RobertWy wrote:

Start by setting the XG1v4 resolution to best available and work from there.  I assume you are not going through an a/v receiver with your HDMI connection?  And, to be sure, you might google for a cheap HDMI 2.2 cable just in case the cable that came with the box isn't up to the job.

 

I bought a short cable because I didn't need 6 feet to connect my TV.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15427&seq=1&format=2


Thanks for your reply.

I did initially set it to the best resolution setting. But I did some research and realized a lower setting may give better picture quality. Yes you are correct, no AV receiver. Have to check but I'm pretty sure the cable we're using meets all the latest standards. Bought it from monoprice, and like you, got a short one that's just long enough. Didn't even bother with the cable included by Comcast.

So if I set to 720p and watch a 1080i channel, the box will first downscale and then the TV will scale back up?

P.S. How do you quote replies? I've seen people do it before. Would rather respond with one reply than multiple.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?


@a5m wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I did initially set it to the best resolution setting. But I did some research and realized a lower setting may give better picture quality. Yes you are correct, no AV receiver. Have to check but I'm pretty sure the cable we're using meets all the latest standards. Bought it from monoprice, and like you, got a short one that's just long enough. Didn't even bother with the cable included by Comcast.

So if I set to 720p and watch a 1080i channel, the box will first downscale and then the TV will scale back up?

P.S. How do you quote replies? I've seen people do it before. Would rather respond with one reply than multiple.

When you reply to a post you should see a yellow Quote button.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?


@RobertWy wrote:

@a5m wrote:
Thanks for your reply.

I did initially set it to the best resolution setting. But I did some research and realized a lower setting may give better picture quality. Yes you are correct, no AV receiver. Have to check but I'm pretty sure the cable we're using meets all the latest standards. Bought it from monoprice, and like you, got a short one that's just long enough. Didn't even bother with the cable included by Comcast.

So if I set to 720p and watch a 1080i channel, the box will first downscale and then the TV will scale back up?

P.S. How do you quote replies? I've seen people do it before. Would rather respond with one reply than multiple.

When you reply to a post you should see a yellow Quote button.


Got it. Could't see it when replying on my Android phone.

 

So I did some testing comparing the image quality between different resolution settings on the box and between 720p and 1080i channels. Surprisingly, the best setting is 1080p60. The 2160p60 setting is the worst - flat and dull, lack of color, contrast and sharpness. Noticeable improvement in color and contrast when switching to 720p, and noticeable improvement in everything (color, contrast, brightness, sharpness) when set to 1080p60.

 

So that's what I'll leave it at unless I want to watch Olympics in 4K. I guess this explains why some people say the image looks worse after upgrading to the XG1v4.

Regular Contributor

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?


@a5m wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Sorry, presently no there isn’t a native setting on any of the X1 boxes

Thanks for your reply.

 

There isn't a hidden service menu or something where it can be turned on?

 

Will this feature be added in the future, and if not, how do we go about requesting that it be added?

 

Is there a list outlining what channels are broadcast in what resolution? Or is there a way the box can show it?


 

Really wish they would add Native resolution option.

 

 

Channel resolutions are basically:

Non HD are 480.

All HD channels are 720, except a few local HD channels like NBC and CBS which are actually 1080.

 

Contributor

Re: XG1v4 Native Resolution Setting?


@tzr916 wrote:

@a5m wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Sorry, presently no there isn’t a native setting on any of the X1 boxes

Thanks for your reply.

 

There isn't a hidden service menu or something where it can be turned on?

 

Will this feature be added in the future, and if not, how do we go about requesting that it be added?

 

Is there a list outlining what channels are broadcast in what resolution? Or is there a way the box can show it?


 

Really wish they would add Native resolution option.

 

 

Channel resolutions are basically:

Non HD are 480.

All HD channels are 720, except a few local HD channels like NBC and CBS which are actually 1080.

 


Hey thanks for your reply. This is pretty much what I gathered. It's unfortunate because we basically watch an equal amount of both 720 and 1080. I agree - I really hope they add a Native Resolution setting.