Community Forum

XG1v4 Fast Forward different than previous cloud DVR

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

XG1v4 Fast Forward different than previous cloud DVR

I recently exchanged my PX013AN Pace XG1v3 cloud DVR for a XG1v4 to obtain future 4K compatibility.  The box works mostly OK, although I admitedly miss the clock and the optical audio out on the XG1v3.  One thing I got used to with the XG1v3 box was when fast forwarding, when you stop fast-forwarding the recording would back up a bit, presuming that you overran where you wanted to be.  The faster you fast forwarded (2x, 3x, 4x) the more the recording backed up.  This is a really useful feature that it appears the XG1v4 box does not support.  I searched all the setting but found nothing.  

Any comments or assistance ?

Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Re: XG1v4 Fast Forward different than previous cloud DVR

Today, we were forced to accept the XG1v4 DVR. The remote no longer supports the 15sec rewind and in addition to pcsilivia notes, the fast forward no longer shows the picture while fast forwarding.  A snap shot of each 15, 20, 30 seconds is displayed so finding a way past commericals is much more difficult. The fast forward backup, seeing the picture during fast forward, and the 15second rewind were really useful features. Comcast would be really nice to implement changes that brings these features back. 

Silver Problem Solver

@Timberline_Fox wrote:

Today, we were forced to accept the XG1v4 DVR. The remote no longer supports the 15sec rewind and in addition to pcsilivia notes, the fast forward no longer shows the picture while fast forwarding.  A snap shot of each 15, 20, 30 seconds is displayed so finding a way past commericals is much more difficult. The fast forward backup, seeing the picture during fast forward, and the 15second rewind were really useful features. Comcast would be really nice to implement changes that brings these features back. 

Is this with the XR15 remote?  What does pgup and pgdown do?

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Regular Visitor

I received my new 4k box last week.  I too was concerned about the fast forwarding not showing the picture.  However, that only happens on the cloud recordings.  Once I recorded new shows, the fast forward and rewind worked as it used to.  

Regular Visitor

Thank you for the reply because some positive events have occured. The XR15 remote does come with the XG1v4 DVR.  After attempting to get use to the new remote, the Service Center was visited yesterday. The Customer representative provided an XR11v3 remote which is the same as the previous remote.  The XR11v3 is compatible with the XG1v4 DVR and the [Replay] button is on this remote, so the 15sec rewind is back.

The [pgup] and [pgdn] buttons do the same on both remotes, fast forward 5 minutes or rewind 5 minutes when watching the a DVR recording.

Helpful Voice commands were found that also make getting past commericals easier. The Voice commands documentation couldn't be found again but pressing the [Speech/Microphone] button and saying {Fast Forward 1 minute} or any increment of time seems to work.  Watching the commercials race by can't be used with these commands because they act like the slide-show view except the stopping point is just a time interval ie 1 minute in the future. 

The remaining main issues is fast forwarding with movie-like view or slide-show view.   The DVR recordings seem to be reverting back to the preferred movie-like view.  The reason for this pleasant change is not known.  Hopefully, the movie-like view will increase in frequency until the dominant view is the movie-like. 

The automatic rewind during very fast forwarding seems to be a lost desireable feature like the slow-motion feature of the past. 

Regular Visitor

Staceybink, 

What do you mean by cloud recordings, or how do "cloud recordings" differ from "I recorded new shows"?   I'd like to at least know how to choose a recording that shows the video-like, or old style, Fast forward. 

Regular Visitor

The cloud saves the last 60 hours of recordings so when you get a new set top box what you are seeing in your list is the cloud version.  When you watch your previous recordings on your DVR, you're watching the cloud version not the actual version you recorded since you no longer have the dvr box they were recorded on.  That is why they don't fast forward the same as the recordings on your set top box.  New recordings (ones you've recorded since you got the new dvr box) will fast forward correctly and won't be choppy like the cloud version.

Regular Visitor

Thank you Staceybink. 

The Cloud stored version verses the DVR recorded version makes sense on some level. 

After attempting to check an older recording,  46% of the recordings are gone.  Now, the old DVR must be found so hopefully the recordings can be recovered.