Community Forum

XG1V4 stops communicating to Samsung TV after TV tuned off at night.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

XG1V4 stops communicating to Samsung TV after TV tuned off at night.

I got XG1v4 3 weeks ago. I connected it to Samsung un55hu7250 TV to HDMI3 port which is the only HDCP 2.2 compliant port. Everything works fine.  After the TV is off at night, and turned on in the morning xg1v4 box does not send any signal to the TV, the message says no HDMI signal on port3. I have to reboot the xg1v4 to get it working again (a long process). So I took the hdmi cable out of port 3 and connected it to port 2 which is not hdcp 2.2. Then there is no problem in the morning. So far I have 2 technicians visit my home to check the signal. Nothing seems to be wrong. For due diligence, they changed the box, which had no impact. I even ordered a new hdmi 2 hdcp 2.2 cable, which once again had no impact.

What is the issue? Is the xg1v4 rebooting at night while the tv is off the issue? I read here something to do with an option no more available in hdmi link. Is it that my TV from 2015 is too old for this box? Or some other?

Any ideas for next step?

Frequent Visitor

Re: XG1V4 stops communicating to Samsung TV after TV tuned off at night.

I have the same problem with my Samsung ju6500 and XG1v4 box. The issue was resolved when the "hdmi link" setting was available.  Unfortunately , Comcast has eliminated that setting and the problem is back. The "hdmi link" setting helped a lot of people with their connectivity issues. The issue is only with  Comcast and this box. I had no problems with the older x1 box and my Samsung. Comcast has been unable fix this so I am planning on switching providers.

Frequent Visitor

Walicki: How about just switch the hdmi cable to non-hdcp-2.2 port on tv. My problem went away. I still get upscaling to 2180p (4k) for videos. And Netflix, I watch with Samsung app. Comcast X1 app will not give ultra hd Netflix option unless you connect to hdcp 2.2 compliant port.
Frequent Visitor

I will give it a try tonight. I previously tried port 2 - MHL on Samsung's recommendation and that didn't work . I am now using port 1 - STB/DV I on Comcasts rec with no luck. I have 4 input ports with port 3 being ARC.

What input port worked for you? Thanks 

Frequent Visitor

Waliciki: I am using port 2. My pirt 4 us ARC, and port 3 is hdcp2.2 which does not work. Both port 1 and 2 work. Make sure you are power cycling after changing port. Akso take a look at TV manjual, which port is not hdcp 2.2. if all port are hdcp 2.2, than it will not work.
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately all input ports are hdcp 2.2 compatible. I will still give it a try tonight.  

I wonder if there is any hardware that will solve the problem.  Thanks for your help. 

Frequent Visitor

There is a hardware. Check out HDFURY website, Google search.
Expert

@Walicki wrote:

Unfortunately all input ports are hdcp 2.2 compatible. I will still give it a try tonight.  

I wonder if there is any hardware that will solve the problem.  Thanks for your help. 

any hardware fix would disable 4k (requires HDCP 2.2 minimum). set your power saver to off on the set top box. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Rustyben: My box actually gives 4k on ports that are not hdcp2.2 compliant. Now I do not get Netflix on ultra hd on those ports because they require hdcp 2.2. However picture is upscaled to 4k (2160p). When I connect to port that is hdcp 2.2 compliant,  I do not get Netflix ultra hd. So I am not sure what you mean by picture is not 4k on non compiant hdcp 2.2 ports.

As it has been posted on many other posts here, the problem with hdcp2.2 compliant port with this box is that after TV is shut off at night, and the box does some rebooting/self management, in the morning it stops communicating with the TV. One way to avoid that has been to connect the hdmi cable to non-hdcp 2.2 compliant port.

Expert

@Bob_Janes wrote:

Rustyben: My box actually gives 4k on ports that are not hdcp2.2 compliant. Now I do not get Netflix on ultra hd on those ports because they require hdcp 2.2. However picture is upscaled to 4k (2160p). When I connect to port that is hdcp 2.2 compliant,  I do not get Netflix ultra hd. So I am not sure what you mean by picture is not 4k on non compiant hdcp 2.2 ports.

As it has been posted on many other posts here, the problem with hdcp2.2 compliant port with this box is that after TV is shut off at night, and the box does some rebooting/self management, in the morning it stops communicating with the TV. One way to avoid that has been to connect the hdmi cable to non-hdcp 2.2 compliant port.

4k may be the output setting for your set top box but no 4k content will be delivered to the TV (sink) unless the HDCP 2.2 is from set top box to the tV.

edit: does your TV have the Netflix app? If so, run Netflix from there and search for UHD to see if you get listings. It may be possible your netflix account is not yet authorized for 4k/UHD. If it works with the app more testing/change in hookup may be needed to get the 4k UHD Netflix to work on the X1 set top box.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

@Rustyben

edit: does your TV have the Netflix app? If so, run Netflix from there and search for UHD to see if you get listings. It may be possible your netflix account is not yet authorized for 4k/UHD. If it works with the app more testing/change in hookup may be needed to get the 4k UHD Netflix to work on the X1 set top box.

When I run Netflix app on TV, I get ultra hd. When I connect X1 set top box to hdcp 2.2 compliant port (HDMI 3), I get ultra hd on netflix, but the problem begins where when I shut the TV at night, in the morning I get black screen. If I connect the X1 settop box to HDMI1 or 2 ports which are not hdcp 2.2 compliant, I do not get Netflix ultra hd, but the resolution is 2160p (4k). So the issue is X1 box communication with HDMI 3 port which is hdcp 2.2 compliant. What do you think is going on, Rustyben?

Expert

@Bob_Janes wrote:

@Rustyben

When I run Netflix app on TV, I get ultra hd. When I connect X1 set top box to hdcp 2.2 compliant port (HDMI 3), I get ultra hd on netflix, but the problem begins where when I shut the TV at night, in the morning I get black screen. If I connect the X1 settop box to HDMI1 or 2 ports which are not hdcp 2.2 compliant, I do not get Netflix ultra hd, but the resolution is 2160p (4k). So the issue is X1 box communication with HDMI 3 port which is hdcp 2.2 compliant. What do you think is going on, Rustyben?

if source (netflix) and sink (TV) do not handshake on a fully compliant HDCP 2.2 connection you are limited to 1x. that 1x is then upscaled to 4k resolution by the set top box or the TV depending on your settings. since it works  when you get the 'no signal' do you know if your set top box is going into standby after non-use of several hours? it is called powersave and you find it in your Xfinity settings menu. try turning that off (if on) and see if the problem goes away. the set top box reboots overnight so that also may be triggering the TV problem.

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben: No, my powersave is off. So it must be rebooting issue. Is there a way to prevent rebooting at night which causes the problem?
Expert

@Bob_Janes wrote:
Rustyben: No, my powersave is off. So it must be rebooting issue. Is there a way to prevent rebooting at night which causes the problem?

In my opinion at this point there is nothing more to due. do As a TV/electronics tech with decades of experience it seems to be down to either the TV's firmware or the xg1v4 set top box or firmware. I apologize that after requesting an escalation, no Official Employee has joined the conversation to help determine the problem precisely which allows a resolution. Let's hope an Official Employee joins soon. It was a pleasure trying to assist.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your discussion, Rustyben.
Are there folks out there who have no problem of this kind? If so, please post your TV model, year of production.
Official Employee

Hello all,

Apologies for the delayed response. I addressed this concern to the higher management and as soon as I receive a feedback - I will update this post. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Hi everyone, we are investigating reports of HDCP 2.2 handshake issues with 4K Samsung TVs and XG1v4. If you are experiencing this issue I would ask if you could perform the following:

• Ensure that the XG1v4 is connected directly to the TV and to an HDCP 2.2 compliant port
  • Ensure that you're using an HDMI 2.0 compliant high speed cable between the TV and the XG1v4
  • Ensure that the TV has the latest firmware from Samsung
  • See if unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable corrects the issue without a reboot of the XG1v4

If the above is true for you then feel free to send me a PM with following:

• Name
  • Account Number
  • Full TV model number

I can then work with devlopment teams to pull logs and help troubleshoot the issue.

Leon

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastLeon wrote:

Hi everyone, we are investigating reports of HDCP 2.2 handshake issues with 4K Samsung TVs and XG1v4. If you are experiencing this issue I would ask if you could perform the following:

• Ensure that the XG1v4 is connected directly to the TV and to an HDCP 2.2 compliant port
  • Ensure that you're using an HDMI 2.0 compliant high speed cable between the TV and the XG1v4
  • Ensure that the TV has the latest firmware from Samsung
  • See if unplugging and replugging the HDMI cable corrects the issue without a reboot of the XG1v4

If the above is true for you then feel free to send me a PM with following:

• Name
  • Account Number
  • Full TV model number

I can then work with devlopment teams to pull logs and help troubleshoot the issue.

Leon

Leon: Sent you a PM with requested inormation.