Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 Suggestion Changes

Regular Contributor

X1 Suggestion Changes

Hooked up this X1 (Arris) box this week. Long time Tivo customer but I thought it was time to switch/upgrade from Cable card but I believe there is also an M-Card in the Arris box but that's besides the point. Just some things I can't get use to mostly Guide related. Issues and improvement suggestions:

1. I get the whole Voice Remote and changing channels which is great but every once in while would like to enter the channel number without having to hit "OK" on remote, Need this option unless this works when turning off Voice control haven't tried.

2. The Grid Guide and Mini Guide (Right side slide) needs to have Larger font and please remove the "Blue Highlight Letter" with current channel  on mini guide. I can't see the words with blue Letters. As for the Grid guide I do realized you can change to 4 option sizes but it just makes the Info bottom larger on the bottom.

3. The video window does not stay on the next day or when you turn the TV for long period or time. You have to go back press "B" again also the video window should be able to move around to any corner. I like it on the top right.

4. The bottom of the Grid guide is too large to take up space for more channel listings. Can you remove or make smaller?

5. Adding Favorite channels-took me like an half hour to add every favorite channel. This needs to be simplified with maybe what Tivo does in there settings with putting a somekind of check mark or I believe even the I-Guide you just put a "Heart symbol"

6. When paging up and down on channels I should only see my Favorite channels. Like channel 300 HBO HD when I page up I don't want to view channel 301 SD HBO-annoying

I know I have other issues but as for the DVR functions no problems pretty good. Could maybe use a 30 sec skip? I don't know if I can program remote. Also work fine with my Vizio Sound bar 4251 which makes me happy.

Frequent Visitor

Guide

We are brand new to xfinity.  Can the guide be set up such that only channels we get show on the guide?  Both DTV and DISH only show subscribed channels.  Can my X1 do that?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Guide

Unfortunately no and Comcast is aware.

RickCunn wrote:

We are brand new to xfinity.  Can the guide be set up such that only channels we get show on the guide?  Both DTV and DISH only show subscribed channels.  Can my X1 do that?

Frequent Visitor

To set up Favorites move the cursor to the left over the channel number and press enter

Select Favorite

Scroll down through the entire Guide and set your Favorites

Now when you press the guide button twice you will see an option to only view your favorite stations when viewing the Guide

Official Employee

Re: X! Suggestion Changes

1. Channel numbers are also tied into the search function making pressing OK necessary
2. With your remote,
Xfinity button to gear symbol to Comcast Labs to Guide Readability
3. Presently there's no plans to change this
4.When in number 2 pick option 2, number of lines go down as font increases
6.With your remote
Xfinity button to Gear symbol to Preferences to Default Guide View and Press OK to change your options

30 second skip=exit exit exit 0030 with the remote
Regular Contributor

Thanks Andrew for reply back. For #6 Like I said when changing channels using "Paging up & down" button remote even though I have not set say SD HBO (301) as a favorite I'm still able to change to this channel. It should just go from channels HBO HD (300) and bypass 301. I don't want want SD channels when I have HD so setting the guide to Default would not solve this issue I believe.

Official Employee

tstack wrote:

Thanks Andrew for reply back. For #6 Like I said when changing channels using "Paging up & down" button remote even though I have not set say SD HBO (301) as a favorite I'm still able to change to this channel. It should just go from channels HBO HD (300) and bypass 301. I don't want want SD channels when I have HD so setting the guide to Default would not solve this issue I believe.

Like I posted, if you press OK, you will see the different guide options

HD

Favorites

Trending

Movies

Sports

Kids

Gold Problem Solver

As you spend more time with X1 you will find that adjustments over guide views (or lack of adjustments) and channel management (favorites and filtering) remain some of X1's biggest weak points...

Also while X1 may be new to you it is now 3.5 years old. All of your "suggestions" have been previously discussed in this forum (guide font sizes have been beaten into the ground) and as Andrew pointed out there are partial solutions for all but one of your suggestions...

If 301 is not set to be a favorite channel and you filter the guide to favorites, 301 should not appear. It appears you can set two "filters" at one time. You set the default guide view to HD Channels which is a permanent setting then you press guide twice and set the temporary view (90 minutes) to favorites.

tstack wrote:

Regular Contributor

Also would like to see when you get to end of the grid guide say ch 1998 you should just flip over to ch 2 by paging down. Currently you can't do this.
Regular Visitor

Does someone at Comcast with decision making authority ever read these forums, or  is this just for venting purposes?

For example, it seems really  weak that channels you do not subscribe to show up in the grid guide and there's nothing you can do about it.  Also, why is there only one favorites channel?  Different family members will have their own favorites -- not to mention that I would like to cluster a specific group(s) of channels different from my other favorites.

Or is there some method to address this that I don't know about?

Thnaks,

Tags (1)
Valued Contributor

When in the grid guide, looking at a day in the future, if you type in a channel #, say 302, the guide reverts back to the current day and time.  i'd like to see a change that allows for you to type in a channel # while looking at the guide in the future.

Expert

xfn wrote:

Does someone at Comcast with decision making authority ever read these forums, or  is this just for venting purposes?

For example, it seems really  weak that channels you do not subscribe to show up in the grid guide and there's nothing you can do about it.  Also, why is there only one favorites channel?  Different family members will have their own favorites -- not to mention that I would like to cluster a specific group(s) of channels different from my other favorites.

Or is there some method to address this that I don't know about?

Thnaks,

These are user-to-user help forums.  Some Comcast employees do monitor the forums and reply when they can.

Regular Contributor

tstack wrote:
Also would like to see when you get to end of the grid guide say ch 1998 you should just flip over to ch 2 by paging down. Currently you can't do this.

I'd prefer that the Guide wrap-around to the top as well, but in lieu of that ... when you're at the bottom of the Guide (or anywhere in the list), press "0" then OK.  This will take you to the top of the list.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the response, Robert.

Do you know how someone would communicate to Comcast, rather than just complaining to each other?

For example, my question about hiding non-received channels in the grid is something Uverse allows, so it's not impossible to program.  Hard to tell how difficult it would be, but Comcast revenue is north of 70B. 

Expert

xfn wrote:

Thanks for the response, Robert.

Do you know how someone would communicate to Comcast, rather than just complaining to each other?

For example, my question about hiding non-received channels in the grid is something Uverse allows, so it's not impossible to program.  Hard to tell how difficult it would be, but Comcast revenue is north of 70B. 

There is always the Facebook and Twitter Comcast accounts.  And a Google of Comcast Feedback comes up with some suggestions.

Regular Contributor

I have the Guide set to favorites but when the menu strip when I press Guide goes to All Listings? Just me is this a bug that needs to be fixed?
Expert

If I understand you correctly, it is not a bug.

Frequent Visitor

I do NOT like the "guide" much, it is far from user intuitive.  The old way was much better and I didn't need to search for answers about how to use it.  I went through the set up for this new system and set the controller up for my TV but it does not work with my TV and it seems that I would have to go through the set up all over again to try making the TV work with the Comcast controller.

Regular Contributor

Another thing I found strange when you Delete a recording it goes away permanently the next day even when you only have 2% full. Would like to recover the program if possible.

Expert

tstack wrote:

Another thing I found strange when you Delete a recording it goes away permanently the next day even when you only have 2% full. Would like to recover the program if possible.

Upon deletion of a recorded asset, it should go into the RECENTLY DELETED.. This is located at the bottom of your Recordings listing.  You can then highlight the deleted asset and select RECOVER.

Regular Contributor

Thank you but basically how long will the show stay in the "Recently Deleted" folder???

Problem Solver

tstack wrote:

Thank you but basically how long will the show stay in the "Recently Deleted" folder???

Comcast doesn't and probably won't share their algorithm for when or how often they clean out the "Recently Deleted" folder. I guess it depends on what they define as "recent".  Without having a full DVR, my "Recently Deleted" folder seems to just hold only the previous days deleted content, while purging the rest, but I couldn't tell you what Comcast's formula actually is.

The bottom line is if you don't want something deleted, then don't put it in the "Recently Deleted" folder, and hope you can get it back days or even weeks later. It just doesn't work like that.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I could care less about "The Cloud" duplicating my DVR recordings. The "Cloud"  functions so that people can stream their recordings to their mobile devices, which I do not do.

My suggestion is to institute a feature in Comcast labs that allows the user to have their recording be solely DVR based allowing buffer recording, with the caveat that such a switch will mean they cannot stream these recordings to their mobile devices. For those of us who don't stream to mobile devices it solves the buffer problem. For those that do stream, their needs can still be fulfilled.

Most Valued Poster

BeowolfJones wrote:

I could care less about "The Cloud" duplicating my DVR recordings. The "Cloud"  functions so that people can stream their recordings to their mobile devices, which I do not do.

My suggestion is to institute a feature in Comcast labs that allows the user to have their recording be solely DVR based allowing buffer recording, with the caveat that such a switch will mean they cannot stream these recordings to their mobile devices. For those of us who don't stream to mobile devices it solves the buffer problem. For those that do stream, their needs can still be fulfilled.

===

You have come up with the perfect solution that allows the user a choice as to which functions they want/need. I don't know why they think the Cloud is the best thing for everyone because it certainly is not. Not every X1 user is 'on the move' and needs to stream. In my opinion it for the younger more mobile generation and sorry but the rest of us are being discriminated against.   My household does not and cannot foresee ever streaming. Its great for many I am sure but for the rest of us the feature in Labs that you suggest is exactly what we need to have the recording buffer restored if we so choose. I can think of no feature that was more useful than the buffer in the DVR world!  I would happily sign a waiver that I would not stream if I could have the buffer back.

Problem Solver

You people keep saying you never use the Cloud DVR, and you never will. But you can use it without almost knowing you are using it. Say you have a bunch of recordings set for later this evening. This evening comes and a power failure occurs affecting your entire neighborhood. Power is out for a few hours. Later when the power is restored, you go to watch those shows that were suppose to record during the power failure. Miracle of miracles, those shows are on your DVR ready for you to watch. They are there because they are being pulled from the Cloud DVR to your set-top box. No Cloud, then you would have missed recordings.

A Comcast labs solution to the buffer is not a solution at all. Just another way to complicate the issue. The real solution would be to allow the buffer recording to occur on the physical DVR, and put a disclaimer on the Cloud DVR Recordings page stating that "Cloud DVR recordings can be missing a live buffer section if you started a recording already in progress."

Comcast's excuse to remove the buffer to keep the recordings in sync is just a smoke screen. The recordings can already be out of sync since Comcast only allows the last 60 hours of recordings to be saved to the Cloud DVR. Also, Comcast doesn't auto pad Cloud DVR recordings, just physical DVR recordings, again resulting in a un-synced condition. 

Valued Contributor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

You people keep saying you never use the Cloud DVR, and you never will. But you can use it without almost knowing you are using it. Say you have a bunch of recordings set for later this evening. This evening comes and a power failure occurs affecting your entire neighborhood. Power is out for a few hours. Later when the power is restored, you go to watch those shows that were suppose to record during the power failure. Miracle of miracles, those shows are on your DVR ready for you to watch. They are there because they are being pulled from the Cloud DVR to your set-top box. No Cloud, then you would have missed recordings.

A Comcast labs solution to the buffer is not a solution at all. Just another way to complicate the issue. The real solution would be to allow the buffer recording to occur on the physical DVR, and put a disclaimer on the Cloud DVR Recordings page stating that "Cloud DVR recordings can be missing a live buffer section if you started a recording already in progress."

Comcast's excuse to remove the buffer to keep the recordings in sync is just a smoke screen. The recordings can already be out of sync since Comcast only allows the last 60 hours of recordings to be saved to the Cloud DVR. Also, Comcast doesn't auto pad Cloud DVR recordings, just physical DVR recordings, again resulting in a un-synced condition. 

You make far to much sense! Comcast will never listen to you.  :-)

Regular Contributor

"Discrimination" is taking it a tad too far too. It's not a law, or civil rights, it's cable TV.
Regular Contributor

m45warrior1 wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

You make far to much sense! Comcast will never listen to you.  :-)

Figure out a way to tie it to seeing ads and they might.

Regular Contributor

I believe that the Buffer and more is already on the DVR because you can "Back up" a live broadcast if you haven't changed the channel in a while. My suggestion of a Comcast labs setting allowing use of the buffer was to give the user a choice and I don't see it as a further problem on this issue. As it stands now we can't be spontaneous in our recording choices. A News item you decide to record for your significant other comes to mind amongst other things.

The fact is that many people want this feature and I don't understand why it cannot be implemented.

Regular Contributor

BeowolfJones wrote:

I believe that the Buffer and more is already on the DVR because you can "Back up" a live broadcast if you haven't changed the channel in a while. My suggestion of a Comcast labs setting allowing use of the buffer was to give the user a choice and I don't see it as a further problem on this issue. As it stands now we can't be spontaneous in our recording choices. A News item you decide to record for your significant other comes to mind amongst other things.

The fact is that many people want this feature and I don't understand why it cannot be implemented.

Oh it most definitely could be implemented.  And so could slow motion and frame by frame.

State of the art UI features are not necessarily the priority of this future of awesome.

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

Cox is licensing X1 from Comcast, so it's just going to be the exact same functionality.
Most Valued Poster

lightstorm22 wrote:
Cox is licensing X1 from Comcast, so it's just going to be the exact same functionality.

As soon as I saw the first 'Contour' commercial from Cox I said "OH MY...its an X1 clone". So far they still have the buffer.

Regular Contributor

Contour is just what Cox calls their video service. It was Contour before X1 and now they call the X1 product New Contour, which is still probably what you saw in the commercial. Cox may not necessarily be on the exact same code as Comcast, even though the software comes from Comcast, that's true. I had a friend with Cox service try buffer recording just now though and he said it didn't work. It just started recording from the point you hit record.
Most Valued Poster

lightstorm22 wrote:
Contour is just what Cox calls their video service. It was Contour before X1 and now they call the X1 product New Contour, which is still probably what you saw in the commercial. Cox may not necessarily be on the exact same code as Comcast, even though the software comes from Comcast, that's true. I had a friend with Cox service try buffer recording just now though and he said it didn't work. It just started recording from the point you hit record.

I just called a friend who has had Cox for a long time and now has the latest platform and he confirmed that yes indeed he has lost the recording buffer and has complained to them and on their forums. I told him not to even bother .

What they show in the Contour commercials is exactly what we see on X1.

Valued Contributor

TerriB wrote:

lightstorm22 wrote:

I just called a friend who has had Cox for a long time and now has the latest platform and he confirmed that yes indeed he has lost the recording buffer and has complained to them and on their forums. I told him not to even bother .

Hi TerriB, have your friend complain to Cox. Maybe they are more responsive to customers (not likely but you never know) than Comcast and will push back on Comcast to fix the issue. Since Cox is licensing the technology Comcast will be expected to listen to them and at least consider changes that Cox would like to see... 

Regular Contributor

After all the discussion about the buffer, we end up where we started. No buffer, and Comcast makes excuses about the Cloud and the DVR recording having to be in sync, when as others have stated Real in Sync is not happening. (Except as a RAP Music Group).

I don't see Comcast making any effort to address this issue and make us, the users, happy campers. Just more fluff apps and features, but listen to the customers on this issue. NOT.

I would gladly forgo the cloud recordings if I could get back the buffer by making a simple choice in Comcast labs. As far a the cloud making recordings I have set when the power goes out, the only thing I am interested in is the power coming back on as quickly as possible.

Seasons Greetings to all.

Most Valued Poster

m45warrior1 wrote:

TerriB wrote:

lightstorm22 wrote:

Hi TerriB, have your friend complain to Cox. Maybe they are more responsive to customers (not likely but you never know) than Comcast and will push back on Comcast to fix the issue. Since Cox is licensing the technology Comcast will be expected to listen to them and at least consider changes that Cox would like to see... 

I believe Cox customers are just starting to realize that the buffer is gone just like we did and I am sure there will be a lot of input but quite frankly I don't see either of those companies doing a blasted thing about our needs and desires in that arena. Its time to stop talking about Cox because posts are off subject and going to get zapped. We can't affect change at Comcast let alone a clone.

Most Valued Poster

BeowolfJones wrote:

After all the discussion about the buffer, we end up where we started. No buffer, and Comcast makes excuses about the Cloud and the DVR recording having to be in sync, when as others have stated Real in Sync is not happening. (Except as a RAP Music Group).

I don't see Comcast making any effort to address this issue and make us, the users, happy campers. Just more fluff apps and features, but listen to the customers on this issue. NOT.

I would gladly forgo the cloud recordings if I could get back the buffer by making a simple choice in Comcast labs. As far a the cloud making recordings I have set when the power goes out, the only thing I am interested in is the power coming back on as quickly as possible.

Yep we are not getting anywhere for sure getting Comcast to listen and address this issue other than placing the balme on the Cloud.  We know there is a  buffer for live tv so how come it can't be used to record back as far as the live tv buffer goes? I guess I am too stupid to understand a technical explanation of this and can't grasp the concept so they just keep telling us its the Cloud's fault. 

Regular Contributor

The DVR is just a hard drive that stores files. In this case recordings are video data files. The buffer was with us pre-X1 and was not a problem to manage. As far as Comcast's explanations (or lack of same) about the buffer. The whole thing reminds me of a time I exposed a Pyramid scheme trying to bilk servicemen out of their money. The purveyors kept telling me I didn't understand how the thing worked to try to get me to shut up. They even had a couple of goons try to force me back into my seat at a mass meeting. I went to the JAG and he had the whole scheme exposed to all the bases. My point is: it can be done and I do not accept that it is that difficult.

Methinks they doth protest too much. Watson, the games afoot !

Perhaps there is really some copyright issue they don't want to acknowledge. If so: FESS UP !

Regular Contributor

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

Yep we are not getting anywhere for sure getting Comcast to listen and address this issue other than placing the balme on the Cloud.  We know there is a  buffer for live tv so how come it can't be used to record back as far as the live tv buffer goes? I guess I am too stupid to understand a technical explanation of this and can't grasp the concept so they just keep telling us its the Cloud's fault. 

It could, it's not a technical issue, it's a functionality decision.

Regular Contributor

Another Guide flaw is if you haven't pressed "Guide" for Favorites and only press Right arrow for mini guide you see all Listings (or all channels) until you press Guide (Favorites). Needs to be fixed.

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben continues to assert (to my knowledge he has never provided supporting documentation) that the time share buffer was turned off as a concession to Tivo/Rovi held patents...

It sounds believable.
New Poster

It would be nice if you could make the Xfinaty TV Viewing guide clearier and much easier to see.  The fonts are much to small, perhaps ARIEL or Times New Roman 12 0r 14 would be much batter.  Also the Boreing Black Background Does not help.  As a Senior Citizen this would really help.

We really enjoy our Xfiniti TV there are so many great things about it like the voice activation remote     

And easy movie and channel access.     I hope that you guys can make this one little change and make Xfinaty that much better.           Thank you   Mr. Christopher P. Walker. 

Expert
Moved:

Duplicate Post Removed from the Forums.

Official Employee

walker3003 wrote:

It would be nice if you could make the Xfinaty TV Viewing guide clearier and much easier to see.  The fonts are much to small, perhaps ARIEL or Times New Roman 12 0r 14 would be much batter.  Also the Boreing Black Background Does not help.  As a Senior Citizen this would really help.

We really enjoy our Xfiniti TV there are so many great things about it like the voice activation remote     

And easy movie and channel access.     I hope that you guys can make this one little change and make Xfinaty that much better.           Thank you   Mr. Christopher P. Walker. 

You can change the size of font (not the type of font) by pressing the Xfinity button go to Gear symbol, press OK to Comcast Labs and then to Guide Readability and there are different options to choose from

Regular Contributor

Re: Guide - Direct TV

I was dealing with Direct TV at my Bro's house this Christmas and I have to say I couldn't wait to get home and back to my Xfinity driven TV experience.. When X1 is working like it is supposed to, it is FAR superior to the Direct TV system. Movie listings are much better and faster, in fact almost everything is faster and better. To get to the Direct TV weather app takes the better part of a minute and then it isn't worth the trip. The one thing Direct TV has that I would like to see on Xfinity is more HD channels in full 1080p definition.  His new 4k Sony TV has me wanting to buy one myself.

I wish everyone a Happy New Year and I hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

Contributor

feature suggestion

Just another hairbrained suggestion but here we go.......

when you search for a movie or show and it is only available for rent or even worse outright purchase because it is not playing in the next 14 days anywhere it would be great to still have a record option that marks the show/movie to be recorded whenever it does air on an available already paid for channel, as you all put it 'free to me'.  It would be a list just like the recording priority list for series shows.  As it is now you have to get lucky and remember to search every 14 days for these odball things you want to see,  I'd really like it if you set it once and then even a year later have it appear on your recording list because it finally aired.

Also I notice that I have problems with the remote understanding certain words , for instance it confuses lunch with launch (actually a plot point for a 1970's kids show on saturday mornings, a lost in space b grade ripoff)  anywho the ability to spell out a word and have the system recognize it as a whole word instead of whatever it does now when you try that would be helpful.  Granted I''ve only been speaking english for 50 years since birth and my thick Maryland accent as with all Marylanders is known worldwide for their thick gutteral imcomprehensiveity.

Thank you for your time

Regular Visitor

Re: ANNOYING BLACK BOX ON SCREEN

I have one major dislike of the X1 system, which is generally great otherwise.

I hate that every time the video freeze button or the jump back button is pressed,
a large black box appears at the bottom of the screen and stays on for a long time.

The problem is, it blocks subtitles, news and sports crawls, etc -- which is often 

the reason I used the jump back function, to read something I missed by a distraction.

The black box is fairly uselessand superfluous. I doubt if anyone would miss it

and the functions connected to it could be accomplished without it.

Expert

Re: ANNOYING BLACK BOX ON SCREEN

Makarov77 wrote:

I have one major dislike of the X1 system, which is generally great otherwise.

I hate that every time the video freeze button or the jump back button is pressed,
a large black box appears at the bottom of the screen and stays on for a long time.

The problem is, it blocks subtitles, news and sports crawls, etc -- which is often 

the reason I used the jump back function, to read something I missed by a distraction.

The black box is fairly uselessand superfluous. I doubt if anyone would miss it

and the functions connected to it could be accomplished without it. 

hitting the up button will instantly dismiss the lower blackened area