Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

X1 Screen Saver Updates

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

X1 Screen Saver Updates

X1 Screen Saver Updates
Beginning 2/27, additional screen savers are available on X1, including special Oscars-themed images that will be showcased now through Sunday’s ceremony. Previously, X1 only displayed seasonal landscape imagery and occasionally some TV-centric content as screen savers. Moving forward, X1 will include more high-quality, entertainment-oriented screen savers, including images from hit TV shows, movies, musical performances, sporting events and more.

Regular Contributor

Re: X1 Screen Saver Updates

ComcastAndrew wrote:

X1 Screen Saver Updates
Beginning 2/27, additional screen savers are available on X1, including special Oscars-themed images that will be showcased now through Sunday’s ceremony. Previously, X1 only displayed seasonal landscape imagery and occasionally some TV-centric content as screen savers. Moving forward, X1 will include more high-quality, entertainment-oriented screen savers, including images from hit TV shows, movies, musical performances, sporting events and more.

Andrew, please pass along that the users don't want spoilers in these screen savers.  I've already begun to see them on occasion.  At a minimum, give customers the option of choosing, for instance, a landscape imagery only screen saver.  There are a million ways to look up the scores of sporting events, etc., we don't need them to appear as spoilers on a screen saver if we simply walk away from the TV for 15 minutes.  Thanks.

Official Employee

I will. Did you know you can change the time it takes for the screensaver to pop up?
Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
I will. Did you know you can change the time it takes for the screensaver to pop up?

Yup.  Didn't want to change it to 5 hrs (screen burn-in and all), but did bump it from 15-->30 minutes. Smiley Wink

Expert

Anon24542 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Yup.  Didn't want to change it to 5 hrs (screen burn-in and all), but did bump it from 15-->30 minutes. Smiley Wink

using a plasma or regular CRT television?

Silver Problem Solver

Anon24542 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

X1 Screen Saver Updates

Andrew, please pass along that the users don't want spoilers in these screen savers.  I've already begun to see them on occasion.  At a minimum, give customers the option of choosing, for instance, a landscape imagery only screen saver.  There are a million ways to look up the scores of sporting events, etc., we don't need them to appear as spoilers on a screen saver if we simply walk away from the TV for 15 minutes.  Thanks.

What spoilers? It doesn't even say the name of the movie, so it would be hard to be spoiled.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Anon24542 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

using a plasma or regular CRT television?

Nope, about a 5-year old Sony Bravia LCD ... you're probably right (no burn-in on these).  Guess I'm just old school paranoid ...

Regular Contributor

John3758 wrote:

Anon24542 wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

X1 Screen Saver Updates

What spoilers? It doesn't even say the name of the movie, so it would be hard to be spoiled.

I suppose I was referring to game scores, results, etc.  I just turned the interval to 5 mins and watched it for awhile to see what's changed (no spoilers appeared).  Clearly the new Oscars-themed images are active (I keep seeing the same 8-10 images repeating over and over).  I could do without the entertainment-oriented imagery, but others might disagree.  My personal preference would be only landscapes for images (many were gorgeous), with only weather and maybe local road closures as overlays.  The X1-related Tips that appear are also helpful.  However, I don't need to know, on my screen saver, that Marco Rubio just released 5 years of tax returns while at the same time I'm looking at a rather odd image from a movie I've never seen.  Anyway, perhaps others are looking forward to seeing even more images from TV shows, movies, musicals, etc. on the screen saver, I'm just not one of them.  That's why it would be nice to be able to customize it.  Even so, this change would be way down on my X1 wish list.  i.e. I think I'd settle for the screen saver appearing randomly if I could just get buffer recording back. :/

New Poster

Oscars are over - yet still the horid screen saver. I have cable to chose the entertainment content I am exposed to, not liking the cross-marketing "commercials!"

I do have a plasma TV so this is an important feature to me, please at least give the users some options.

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

I really liked the landscapes screen saver but dislike the entertainment one. The images seem to mostly be of NBC/Universal shows (owned by Comcast) but maybe not. I just wish there was a choice or they'd go back to scenery shots.
Contributor

I too would like the landscape screen savers back.

New Poster

Hate this -- change it back!!!

New Poster

Yes - I agree!  At the very least change back or let us decide?  The movie/tv screensavers look like you are getting advertising $ and not listening to you customers.

New Poster

Yes - already know this.

Silver Problem Solver

Who are you talking to? We do not see who you are talking to or to what post you are referring to unless you say so...

Frequent Visitor

Dear Andrew @ Comcast...This is really awful..I don't think anyone wants to enjoy flashes of scenes that are meaningless...the scenic screen savers were so beautiful and it was one of my favorite things about the X-1.  I am sure more people than me feel the same and I don't understand why they would change it...awful disappointment.

Frequent Visitor

I feel exactly like you do as I just complained..you said it better than I did..bring back the landscapes

New Poster

This is just another reason to quit Comcast. They are forcing us to watch ads for their awful TV shows where they used to show us pleasant images for screensavers. This is a totally joke. Change it back.
Gold Problem Solver

I simply do not understand why people are so bothered by this change. The "screen saver" does not kick in unless you leave a menu item on your screen (which I never do) or you leave your DVR in pause.

Personally I happen to think that X1 has MUCH bigger fish to fry than this tiny little issue. Let's move on from this...

Regular Contributor

Couldn't agree more. 1) it's not a big deal, 2) it only shows up when you're inactive in a menu (who does that?), and 3) I thought it was cool there was a new X-Files wallpaper.

Regular Visitor

I'm sorry you don't understand how something not important to you could matter to others.

Feel free to create a thread about your issues and I promise not to post about how I don't care about them.
Frequent Visitor

I am in the camp of really disliking the new ad screensavers! The landscapes with news items was one of my favorite features. I would purposely select Guide and leave it there so the screensavers would turn on after 5 minutes while I listened to one of the music channels. Now, the "scenes" are not only not enjoyable but they're not even labeled! So it could be a snapshot of a scene in some sitcom I don't watch or like, or even know what show it is from. PLEASE bring the landscapes back!
Official Employee

Just providing some information on screen saver settings at the link below. Some may not be aware that the timing of when the screen saver kicks on can be modified at each box.

Current options are 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes or 5 hours.   

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-screen-saver

Frequent Visitor

Any plans to change it back to the beautiful photos?

Regular Contributor

Decided to revisit this thread to see if there were any plans to resurrect the old (scenic) screensaver now that the Oscars are over. Not surprisingly, it appears that the changes are here to stay. Ironically, as I was reading these messages, the image of two unrecognizable men in a rowboat popped up and filled my 52" Sony Bravia screen. "Who are they?", I ask myself, and "Why are they on my screen?" lol

Can't fight city hall on this one, so my 2-part solution is to ... 1) set the inactivity timer to 5-hours (effectively no Xfinity screensaver at all), and 2) when leaving the ol' Man Cave now, I simply press the "TV input" button on my XR11 remote a couple of times to display the even more beautiful (scenic) imagery of the Chromecast screen saver. Heck, it's worth the $35, if only for the screensaver alone.

New Poster

I will just add my voice to those asking for a return to the more "scenic" slide show.

I might suggest that as a "feature", Comcast could add a setting for screen saver "themes" so the user could choose which type of slide show they were presented with when the system was paused. E.g. Nature, Sports, TV, Misc, etc. They might be able to convert this debacle into an advantage...

Contributor

The landscape screensavers are back!!!!  Tuesday, April 19th.  Thank you!!!!  I am in the Detroit, MI area.

Frequent Visitor

So glad the landscapes are back! No more blind tv/movie ads. Thanks for listening! 

New Poster

Yes, thank you for listening. I had been still continually grumpy, then - delight. A bit strange how the simplest things can make such a difference. :-)

Frequent Visitor

Yay Comcast! Thanks for listening to your subscribers and bringing back the beautiful screensavers.😀🌅

Regular Visitor

Yes! Thank you for listening and bringing back the landscapes!

They are great!
New Poster

I had to disable the X1 screen saver (or rather, set it to 5 hours) because it can display spoilers while I'm watching recorded sports events. For example, I was watching the Packers-Bears NFL game and when the screen saver came on it displayed a news blurb about something that happened in that very game--exactly what you don't want to see while you're watching the game.

It would be great if Comcast would add an option to disable the news blurbs that show up on the screen saver. Otherwise I'm just going to have to keep it disabled.