Community Forum

X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

I recently went to the my local Xfinity store to find out about the X1 platform.  The rep reviewed my account, noting that I currently have 2 HD/DVR boxes and 2 analog/digital convertors.  Leaving the analog/digital convertors alone (don't really need them), he advised that upgrading to the X1 platform would be better for us from both a pricing and capabilities standpoint.

 

He was aware that our HDTV and HD Projector are old and do not have HDMI inputs.  He gave me the required equipment - an Arris X1G-A and a XiD-P and to me I needed to get a HDMI to Composite Cable and emailed me a picure of what it looks like.  A tech is scheduled to install.  

 

Reading through the forums, it appears that this will not work.  That I would need to get my hands on a specific X1 DVR.  

 

I just wanted to confirm the above so I can continue to be upset with Xfinity for not knowing their own stuff and to see that if I can even find the older X1 with the composite inputs is it worth ugrading with that version - did it have problems?  

 

I feel like at this point it would be a waste of my time to have the the tech come out.

image001.jpg
Official Employee

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

If a tech is scheduled to install, see if they can get a hold of a Pace X1 DVR. It's very possible that the service center had none on hand.

New Poster

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

I have a similar question/problem. The X1 remote box (not the MAIN box in the house) has a HDMI output port. I was wondering if this port was active so that i could use it to attach to my Slingbox using the cable adapter you show. My Slingbox Pro SB300 only has Composite (5 cables) input.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

The HDMI port has always been disabled in all Comcast X1 boxes.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

Huh? My HDMI port works on my X1 box.  Are you sure you meant to type that?

 


RobertWy wrote:

The HDMI port has always been disabled in all Comcast X1 boxes.


 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite


HowAboutThisOne wrote:

Huh? My HDMI port works on my X1 box.  Are you sure you meant to type that?

 


RobertWy wrote:

The HDMI port has always been disabled in all Comcast X1 boxes.


 


Some boxes have two HDMI ports.  The input is disabled.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

The MAIN X1 box hdmi works fine to one of my Slingboxes that has an HDMI input slot.
The smaller remote X1 box (not the main one) is the hdmi port I'm concerned with. The Comcast tech said it is disabled on these smaller remote boxes. I don't want to buy that hdmi converter cable to composite if it is in fact disabled
Official Employee

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

If your main DVR has the HDMI port active all the secondary boxes' HDMI ports should be active
Contributor

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

I think you mean component.  that's the 5 rca format, composite is 3 cables (one for video, 2 for audio).

 

my new box, the arris, ax-013 had only hdmi and composite outputs.  (plus a cable output).  so if you have this box you are out of luck.

 

the component cable that you showed a picture of does not exist.  there is no such thing.  HDMI is digital and component is analog, so you need a serious piece of hardware to do this conversion.  I saw a few out there prices upwards of $200.

 

composite is SD only.

 

hope that helped.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite


Actually digital component did appear for a brief amount of time. The cable pictured does exist but it can be used only in digital component applications.


jim_r1 wrote:

I think you mean component.  that's the 5 rca format, composite is 3 cables (one for video, 2 for audio).

 

my new box, the arris, ax-013 had only hdmi and composite outputs.  (plus a cable output).  so if you have this box you are out of luck.

 

the component cable that you showed a picture of does not exist.  there is no such thing.  HDMI is digital and component is analog, so you need a serious piece of hardware to do this conversion.  I saw a few out there prices upwards of $200.

 

composite is SD only.

 

hope that helped.


 

Contributor

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

  1. Ya, component, not composite, right, OP?
  2. (All the modern boxes have active HDMI output ports, BTW)
  3. If you look here you'll see that Comcast has in theory one DVR (Pace XG1V1) with component output and one companion box (RNG150N) with 
  4. Sounds like the DVR box is pretty old but CC might find one for you at the local office
  5. But getting a particular box can be a challenge. For my old 2002 HDTV, I tried to get an RNG150N from 1-800-COMCAST twice and from the office once
  6. The phone people just sent me random companion boxes
  7. The office found me an RNG150N (after two trips back to the stock room) but it was preloaded with the old legacy DVR software and cannot be updated by download. Not designated legacy or X1 in any obv. way so only check was to take it home and try it
  8. I finally got tired of all this, despite the amusement value, and grabbed a cheap HDMI to component converter box Kanexpro box . 
  9. This work OK but not great. It shifts the image to the left maybe 8-10% so you lose some picture and the height may be off a little too. I did a few adjustments on my TV but still far from perfect. 
  10. So if you are picky, suggest you go to the CC office, ask for one of the boxes above (depending on whether you need a client or a DVR), make sure you say you need an X1 box if you are getting the RNG150N, and examine the box in the office to verify the component outputs. 
  11. Or get a new TV / projector

Let me know if this works as I may go on a crusade to try again to get the right box.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite


R_Aster wrote:
  1. Ya, component, not composite, right, OP?
  2. (All the modern boxes have active HDMI output ports, BTW)
  3. If you look here you'll see that Comcast has in theory one DVR (Pace XG1V1) with component output and one companion box (RNG150N) with 
  4. Sounds like the DVR box is pretty old but CC might find one for you at the local office
  5. But getting a particular box can be a challenge. For my old 2002 HDTV, I tried to get an RNG150N from 1-800-COMCAST twice and from the office once
  6. The phone people just sent me random companion boxes
  7. The office found me an RNG150N (after two trips back to the stock room) but it was preloaded with the old legacy DVR software and cannot be updated by download. Not designated legacy or X1 in any obv. way so only check was to take it home and try it
  8. I finally got tired of all this, despite the amusement value, and grabbed a cheap HDMI to component converter box Kanexpro box . 
  9. This work OK but not great. It shifts the image to the left maybe 8-10% so you lose some picture and the height may be off a little too. I did a few adjustments on my TV but still far from perfect. 
  10. So if you are picky, suggest you go to the CC office, ask for one of the boxes above (depending on whether you need a client or a DVR), make sure you say you need an X1 box if you are getting the RNG150N, and examine the box in the office to verify the component outputs. 
  11. Or get a new TV / projector

Let me know if this works as I may go on a crusade to try again to get the right box.


Or the agent can scan it in the system and see what it pulls up, and you know, READ IT.

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

Contributor

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

 

Hmm -- that might be an even better approach.

Contributor

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

 

I found this little gadget today:

 

http://www.amazon.com/Portta-PETHRV-Component-Converter-%C2%A0Windows%C2%A010/dp/B00J22LGYG/ref=sr_1...

 

haven't tried this myself but it seems like a good try for under 30 bucks.  most of the reviews seem positive.

Expert

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

it appears that unit is a badly translated composite (input) to possible digital hdmi output. not needed with comcast equipment. 


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it when trying to figure out how to get my HD output split betwen the TV and my Slingbox. The X1 box has only one HDMI output and a sort of crappy composite output, my older Slingbox 350 has composite and component inputs. Never liked the way the composite looked when streaming.

 

Found a powered HDMI splitter similar to what is described above and an HDMI to component converter on Amazon. Those plus cables <$50.

 

Because the default output from the box is 1080p60, I had to step my cable box output resolution back to 1080i because the Sling wouldn't support 1080p60. But my TV is an older one and I'll be darned if I can see the difference on it.

 

Just thought I would share the experience. Had to step through a little troubleshooting to find the "resolution solution," but this is what worked for me. You have to check what resolutions your device you are splitting to are supported if you want to take a split from the cable box.

Expert

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite


maestrox2 wrote:

I realize this is an old thread, but I stumbled upon it when trying to figure out how to get my HD output split betwen the TV and my Slingbox. The X1 box has only one HDMI output and a sort of crappy composite output, my older Slingbox 350 has composite and component inputs. Never liked the way the composite looked when streaming.

 

Found a powered HDMI splitter similar to what is described above and an HDMI to component converter on Amazon. Those plus cables <$50.

 

Because the default output from the box is 1080p60, I had to step my cable box output resolution back to 1080i because the Sling wouldn't support 1080p60. But my TV is an older one and I'll be darned if I can see the difference on it.

 

Just thought I would share the experience. Had to step through a little troubleshooting to find the "resolution solution," but this is what worked for me. You have to check what resolutions your device you are splitting to are supported if you want to take a split from the cable box.


component is deprecated (facing fading out) tech. you can get a pace DVR XG1 version 1 or an rng150 companion HD set top box to have component output jacks.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite

Rustyben, thanks for the response. Yes I know composite is old tech, but so is my slingbox 350 ;-). I have a new issue. After getting all working, hdmi out of X1 to hdmi splitter, one split to tv, other to hdmi to composite converter, it works great...for about a day. Then it seems the signal to the slingbox quits until I physically break and reconnect the cables. 

 

Could I be getting bit by hdcp?

 

Expert

Re: X1 Platform - Hdmi to Composite


maestrox2 wrote:

Rustyben, thanks for the response. Yes I know composite is old tech, but so is my slingbox 350 ;-). I have a new issue. After getting all working, hdmi out of X1 to hdmi splitter, one split to tv, other to hdmi to composite converter, it works great...for about a day. Then it seems the signal to the slingbox quits until I physically break and reconnect the cables. 

 

Could I be getting bit by hdcp? 


there are two older set top boxes (one DVR one Companion) that has both HDMI and component. If one of those would work for you then you would only need the set top box itself. DVR is Xg1v1 Pace and the rng150 companion set top box. the latter does not have voice control.


I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.