Community Forum

X1 Picture Quality 720p Downgrade

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Gold Problem Solver

X1 Picture Quality 720p Downgrade

I have always tried to support Comcast and X1 in regards to picture quality.

I have really good TV sets including an LG OLED and Panasonic plasma sets and I know how to adjust them.

I had no issues with X1 picture quality until I received the 720p downgrade.

The picture quality is softer, muted, less detailed and vague.

To the powers at be within Comcast, you folks really messed up on this decision.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 Picture Quality 720p Downgrade

I assume the source from your X1 box is being upconverted by your receiver or TV?

Is this true for all your channels, or are some better/worse than others?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Robert,

I am still in the early phase of my evaluations. Came home from work last night, turned on the Grammies and realized right away that something had changed. I toggled back and forth between X1 and antenna many times. For the first time I noticed a big difference between the two. Even my girlfriend noticed the difference. FYI the picture settings of my HDMI and antenna inputs are identical. I went in to the X1 menu and confirmed what I was seeing.

720p.

My initial reaction is this is a comical step backwards but I am not laughing.

FYI which device is doing the "upconverting" doesn't really have anything to do with this. I do not recommend using the digital HDMI scaler built in to most of today's AV receivers. They have a negative impact on picture quality.
Expert

They should have realized that to convert a (1280 x 720) / 60p picture to 4 k, our UHD televisions must synthesize 88% of the pixels for every frame.

A good example would be the golf at Pebble Beach that finished Sunday. Golf Channel output 720p. NBC broadcast Saturday and Sunday in 1080i. Cameras used would most likely have been 1080p with 1080i output OTA and transmitted to Comcast that way. The 1080 picture (1920 x 1080) / 60i requires our UHD televisions to synthesize 75% of the pixels which creates a better picture.

While watching golf the 720p picture looks okay while still but as soon as the camera moves (motion) the picture sharpness and detail (focus) is lost. The difference was obvious when switching from Golf Channel to NBC channel broadcasting in 1080i. The conversion done by our sets takes a toll for 720p. Changing factory settings for UHD functions for picture can help some but cannot make up the difference seen. I switch back and forth the antenna and cable too for comparison.

Of course my 2005 Sony Bravia 1080p television (40 inch) only goes through converting 720p to 1080i which we are all used to seeing the lesser difference.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Regular Contributor

Glad to see this subject getting aired out. Motion looks especially bad.

I abandoned Comcast for my local football this year, getting it OTA instead. I have also abandoned Comcast for movies, opting instead for the Amazon box. That leaves ordinary 30 or 60 minute TV shows that I don't care that much about.  Also makes me wonder why I bother to pay Comcast for TV at all now.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

They should have realized that to convert a (1280 x 720) / 60p picture to 4 k, our UHD televisions must synthesize 88% of the pixels for every frame.

A good example would be the golf at Pebble Beach that finished Sunday. Golf Channel output 720p. NBC broadcast Saturday and Sunday in 1080i. Cameras used would most likely have been 1080p with 1080i output OTA and transmitted to Comcast that way. The 1080 picture (1920 x 1080) / 60i requires our UHD televisions to synthesize 75% of the pixels which creates a better picture.

While watching golf the 720p picture looks okay while still but as soon as the camera moves (motion) the picture sharpness and detail (focus) is lost. The difference was obvious when switching from Golf Channel to NBC channel broadcasting in 1080i. The conversion done by our sets takes a toll for 720p. Changing factory settings for UHD functions for picture can help some but cannot make up the difference seen. I switch back and forth the antenna and cable too for comparison.

Of course my 2005 Sony Bravia 1080p television (40 inch) only goes through converting 720p to 1080i which we are all used to seeing the lesser difference.

on just the last paragraph and I may be misunderstanding, no flat panel converts 'to' interlaced the flat panel TVs must add a step if the 'feed' is in interlaced format. The box output in converted areas probably should be set to 720p output so the TV only has to handle the progressive picture image stream.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Expert

To clarify my last paragraph I meant to say the 1080p televisions like my Sony had 2,073,600 pixels versus 921,600 pixels of a 720p television. A 720p set has only 45% as many pixels as the 1080p set.

Therefore; whether the picture was sent over the air, cable, or satellite, the 1080p television would have to synthesize 55% of the pixels. This would produce a better picture since only every other pixel was signal averaged (color of pixel).

If you think of a checkerboard; going from 720p (0.45k) to 1080p (1K) mean roughly signal averaging each red square with black square holding real signal taken with the camera. All squares would have been the real signal from a 1080p camera.

To transmit a 1080p picture the only half of the 1080p pixels could be sent in a packet (frame) so a 1080p picture required the second packet (frame) sent to finish the picture. In this case black square represents packet 1 and red square packet 2. All are real signals. Reason for calling it 1080i (interlace signal).

Transmitting the signal this way created a packet only 5% larger than 720p packet. It meant meeting all requirements for transmitting audio and video signals live.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

To clarify my last paragraph I meant to say the 1080p televisions like my Sony had 2,073,600 pixels versus 921,600 pixels of a 720p television. A 720p set has only 45% as many pixels as the 1080p set.

Therefore; whether the picture was sent over the air, cable, or satellite, the 1080p television would have to synthesize 55% of the pixels. This would produce a better picture since only every other pixel was signal averaged (color of pixel).

If you think of a checkerboard; going from 720p (0.45k) to 1080p (1K) mean roughly signal averaging each red square with black square holding real signal taken with the camera. All squares would have been the real signal from a 1080p camera.

To transmit a 1080p picture the only half of the 1080p pixels could be sent in a packet (frame) so a 1080p picture required the second packet (frame) sent to finish the picture. In this case black square represents packet 1 and red square packet 2. All are real signals. Reason for calling it 1080i (interlace signal).

Transmitting the signal this way created a packet only 5% larger than 720p packet. It meant meeting all requirements for transmitting audio and video signals live.

Thank you for expanding. I sort of think that we are getting into the weeds here a bit on technology. Since broadcast (cable/OTA) are never (so far) 1080p we have to fall back to HD being 720p or 1080i. 1080i is far short of 1080p in that the images are not comparable at all. In a previously pasted youtube video it is detailed by using motion video of a soccer ball that 1080i is not much more than 535p in quality due to the fact that the 'images' fields (2) that make up a single frame (as in FPS) are not as good as any progressive frame.

I wish we knew the future that will take place in next two years. Some have speculated that cable/broadcast may skip 4k  opting to wait for 8k with other features like UHD and the ATMOS audio stream (part of mpeg4 extensible streams system). 

Had the developers known that progressive format was to be the base of future display technology, I doubt they would have even put out an interlaced HD standard, opting instead to move to a digital progressive frame video only. 

Gold Problem Solver

Gents,

I started this thread to raise awareness that the Comcast X1 conversion to 720p is a huge step backwards and people should know.

I did not start this thread to create another progressive vs interlace debate. I will tell everyone reading this that in regards to this issue, theory is one thing, reality is another.

I care about the best picture quality. I am fortunate to own high end TV sets.

Comcast is headed in the wrong direction.
Expert

I fully agree with you Rick. But we are a small percentage of their market and we both know how that goes.

Last time around (for HD television) the government was contributing to public television. PBS was one of the first with HD programing. They also may have been some help to networks, etc. in getting new equipment (tax breaks). They are no help at all this time around.

One of the sources for television needs to get more 4K programing going to put pressure here, and elsewhere, to speed up the process. Unresolved problems tend to get buried in the back pages quite fast here.

On thing I like about the "Open Roads" forum is the ability to key in a page number like (10, 25, 100, ...) to check earlier posts on a subject from (weeks, months, years) back that you might not still subscribe to.

Gold Problem Solver

Watching hockey on NBCSN on the "new" 720p X1.

Dull, muted, compressed, soft picture quality. Lacks contrast. Looks like 480p.

I highly doubt I am going to be able to deal with this.

Good thing I have a buddy that is a top notch DirecTV installer.

Frequent Visitor

Just came from Directtv after 21 years, and as their HD was noticibly better, not much else was. Their equipment and GUI are old, and it's getting worse since ATT bought them.

Expert

Rick:

Maybe your friend could let you know if Direct TV ever solved their receiver-box problems that kept customers from receiving 4K programing. I have been monitoring their forum and haven't seen anyone having the problem come back and say things were working. A "yes" or "no" answer would do.

I guess their forum is similar to here and others. Many problems get solved by a reply from the forum but the OP never lets anyone know.

Mark

Gold Problem Solver

He just said 4K works.

Funny but I got home from work tonight, turned on the news and realized something had changed again.

Back to 1080P. Go figure...

MNtundraRET wrote:

Rick:

Maybe your friend could let you know if Direct TV ever solved their receiver-box problems that kept customers from receiving 4K programing. I have been monitoring their forum and haven't seen anyone having the problem come back and say things were working. A "yes" or "no" answer would do.

I guess their forum is similar to here and others. Many problems get solved by a reply from the forum but the OP never lets anyone know.

Mark

Gold Problem Solver
Moved:

Regular Contributor

One wonders if they're (Comcast) playing with compression and like settings to see how they're going to cram 4K content thru their pipes. Don't they already overcompress and throw 4x streams on one QAM "channel"?

Expert

Doug:

The only 4K app Comcast has is the "Ultra HD Sampler" app. It has absolutely nothing the do with linear cable-box and Quam card.

The app is watched over the internet on broadband, just as You Tube is watched.

If and when they ever get to having a 4K channel will require about 4 times more space than the 1080i channels they dumped.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

Doug:

The only 4K app Comcast has is the "Ultra HD Sampler" app. It has absolutely nothing the do with linear cable-box and Quam card.

The app is watched over the internet on broadband, just as You Tube is watched.

If and when they ever get to having a 4K channel will require about 4 times more space than the 1080i channels they dumped.

the last part is not entirely true as conversion to MPEG4 dramatically reduces space needed for HD (1x). I believe it said that HD would take same room as SD approximately, My guess is that the 4x would take the same space approximately as HD 1x does today (720p60 in MPEG4 vs 1080i in MPEG2). Time will tell.

Gold Problem Solver

It just occured to me that when my Arris V3 was on 720p for a couple days, it may have still been on MPEG2 (I have recently seen the diagnostic screen indicate MPEG4 and Comcast techs have told me they are in the process of installling MPEG4 encoders in my area).

I suppose what I was seeing may have been 720p on MPEG2. I will pay more attention. All I know at this point is for a couple days I was getting 720p (at best) on my 65" LG OLED and I did not care for what I saw.

People this is NOT progress... At least not as far as what I have seen so far. What I saw for those couple days was a solid step BACKWARDS.

dougkinzinger wrote:

One wonders if they're (Comcast) playing with compression and like settings to see how they're going to cram 4K content thru their pipes. Don't they already overcompress and throw 4x streams on one QAM "channel"?

Expert

I hope you are right Rusty. One thing never brought up in the MPEG4 argument is that when 1080p televisions first came out all the equipment needed was most likely running on 32 bit cpu and programing. Now with 64 bit or possibly 128 bit the compression ratio could handle 4K signals as easily as 1K.

For anyone interested; if you go to "You Tube" and search "NHK" you can find the program covering their 4K and 8K cameras, transmission equipment used.

They also give specifications including: compression convention used for MPEG4, running 4K or 8K, and different frame rates. They claim to have equipment that can transmit in all modes: OTA, cable, or satellite.

Frequent Visitor

I just moved into the comcast market in South Jersey 08081 from North Jersey (I had cablevision/optimum).  I raised a storm (can't curse lol) about my picture quality thinking it was the signal coming into my house. I would have rewired my condo if that was the issue as TV and sports are very important to me. I had 5 techs come to my place who all told me my connection was great. I even complained to the coroprate office. I finally settled for Xfinity only because I have no other options to watch Phillies and Sixers without comcast  (Vue had me almost covered but no TCN is a deal breaker). The last few weeks I still thought it was my connection but last night I tried the Xfinity Roku app. The HD channels look exactly like the HD channles on my X1 box so now I'm convinced it's not my connection or (brand new) tvs. I'm simply getting the same destorted 720p picture Xfinity is providing. 

Vue blew away my X1 box, and it should have been the other way around. However, since Xfinity gives me credentials to stream most stuff through my Roku (CSN/TCN) I can watch my local sports that way in real HD. So I basically have my xfinity cable package so I can get a better stream directly from the sources (hbo, espn, etc). I thought I was going crazy for a little bit but after reading this forum I can see I'm not alone. I just hope they fix this. I can't see how executives at comcast watch a professional basketball game and think there is not a problem with their product. Half the time everyone's face is a blur. I guess they are too busy counting their money. Hopefully these internet streaming packages give them some pressue to make a change. From what I hear, before they downgraded the quality Xfinity picture was great. This is crazy.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my story and praying xfinity fixes it or fios comes to my area. I wont hold my breath for Directv to get CSN philly. I will glady break my contract and pay 500 dollars for a real TV connection.

Does anyone in South Jersey have Xfinity and feel that their picture is AMAZING. I went to my local Xfinity store and saw their TV looks exactly the same as mine. Like I said, I'm convinced it's on Xfinity's end and not mine.

Expert

PhilthyDimes wrote:

I just moved into the comcast market in South Jersey 08081 from North Jersey (I had cablevision/optimum).  I raised a storm (can't curse lol) about my picture quality thinking it was the signal coming into my house. I would have rewired my condo if that was the issue as TV and sports are very important to me. I had 5 techs come to my place who all told me my connection was great. I even complained to the coroprate office. I finally settled for Xfinity only because I have no other options to watch Phillies and Sixers without comcast  (Vue had me almost covered but no TCN is a deal breaker). The last few weeks I still thought it was my connection but last night I tried the Xfinity Roku app. The HD channels look exactly like the HD channles on my X1 box so now I'm convinced it's not my connection or (brand new) tvs. I'm simply getting the same destorted 720p picture Xfinity is providing. 

Vue blew away my X1 box, and it should have been the other way around. However, since Xfinity gives me credentials to stream most stuff through my Roku (CSN/TCN) I can watch my local sports that way in real HD. So I basically have my xfinity cable package so I can get a better stream directly from the sources (hbo, espn, etc). I thought I was going crazy for a little bit but after reading this forum I can see I'm not alone. I just hope they fix this. I can't see how executives at comcast watch a professional basketball game and think there is not a problem with their product. Half the time everyone's face is a blur. I guess they are too busy counting their money. Hopefully these internet streaming packages give them some pressue to make a change. From what I hear, before they downgraded the quality Xfinity picture was great. This is crazy.

Anyway, I'm just sharing my story and praying xfinity fixes it or fios comes to my area. I wont hold my breath for Directv to get CSN philly. I will glady break my contract and pay 500 dollars for a real TV connection.

Does anyone in South Jersey have Xfinity and feel that their picture is AMAZING. I went to my local Xfinity store and saw their TV looks exactly the same as mine. Like I said, I'm convinced it's on Xfinity's end and not mine.

re: your streaming TV on the Roku: it is always in progressive format (not interlaced) and no networks transmit in 1080p or higher.

Frequent Visitor

Cool. Thanks for the info. I know vue is 720 as well. All I'm saying is watching movies and sports on that was 10 percent better quality than my x1. That doesn't sound horrible but for sports it is.

I find it hard to believe xfinity could be this bad everywhere. It's watchable but inferior to vue and optimum. It is what it is.

Just curiois. Do you find your picture at home to be crystal clear? Mine is just how the original poster described it. That's why I'm sharing my two cents. I'm hoping if it's talked about xfinity may do something about it.
Expert

PhilthyDimes wrote:
Cool. Thanks for the info. I know vue is 720 as well. All I'm saying is watching movies and sports on that was 10 percent better quality than my x1. That doesn't sound horrible but for sports it is.

I find it hard to believe xfinity could be this bad everywhere. It's watchable but inferior to vue and optimum. It is what it is.

Just curiois. Do you find your picture at home to be crystal clear? Mine is just how the original poster described it. That's why I'm sharing my two cents. I'm hoping if it's talked about xfinity may do something about it.

my local headend has not yet switched to mpeg4 (and 720p60) so i'm getting the native feeds but can't tell what format they are in (no tool since passthrough is not possible). I set my output from DVR to 720p a few months ago.

New Poster

I had old boxes I believe in MPEG2 format and the picture quality was breathtaking.  Recently got switched to X1 because we got a package for the same price with home security.  I want to vomit watching TV.  Pixelation, especially with motion, it looks like when 480 TV was coming into my old plasma 10 years ago.  They boost the sharpness (looks like fluorescent colors) and tell you it's beautiful.  Compression out of control I'm going to DirectTV. 

And it looks as equally awful at the Xfinity store at the mall.  It's not my TV.

All the "old boxes" are gone.  The boxes left with legacy format have the new compression software unfortunately.

Too bad because the operating system is phenomenal.

Expert

brianmarquis wrote:

I had old boxes I believe in MPEG2 format and the picture quality was breathtaking.  Recently got switched to X1 because we got a package for the same price with home security.  I want to vomit watching TV.  Pixelation, especially with motion, it looks like when 480 TV was coming into my old plasma 10 years ago.  They boost the sharpness (looks like fluorescent colors) and tell you it's beautiful.  Compression out of control I'm going to DirectTV. 

And it looks as equally awful at the Xfinity store at the mall.  It's not my TV.

All the "old boxes" are gone.  The boxes left with legacy format have the new compression software unfortunately.

Too bad because the operating system is phenomenal.

did you call into 800-Comcast and ask them to run their digital network diagnosis? What you describe is nearly universally a poor/bad signal level. The X1 equipment needs a much cleaner signal.

Frequent Visitor

I know this is an old thread but reading it made me aware of a common misconception about resolutions. 1080i supplies fewer pixels to a display than 720p. The 'i' in 1080i stands for interlaced which means every frame has 1/2 the total content and displays evey alternate scan line. In effect each frame has equal content to to a 540P signal. 720P has exactly that resolution on every frame as it dispalys 720 continuous lines of resolution on every frame so displays 1440 lines of res every 2 frames while 1080i displays 1080 lines. How they appear on any individual set will have to do with the scaling of both the set top box and TV so results vary a lot but an upscaler has to manufacture about 1/3rd more pixels for 1080i vs 720p which is the opposite of what was being discussed here. No one is wrong on their pesonal observations of the issue but 720p>1080i when all things are equal... which they rarely are.

Expert

@goodvibes wrote:

I know this is an old thread but reading it made me aware of a common misconception about resolutions. 1080i supplies fewer pixels to a display than 720p. The 'i' in 1080i stands for interlaced which means every frame has 1/2 the total content and displays evey alternate scan line. In effect each frame has equal content to to a 540P signal. 720P has exactly that resolution on every frame as it dispalys 720 continuous lines of resolution on every frame so displays 1440 lines of res every 2 frames while 1080i displays 1080 lines. How they appear on any individual set will have to do with the scaling of both the set top box and TV so results vary a lot but an upscaler has to manufacture about 1/3rd more pixels for 1080i vs 720p which is the opposite of what was being discussed here. No one is wrong on their pesonal observations of the issue but 720p>1080i when all things are equal... which they rarely are.

This is one real whopper of a "Fish" tail. I never heard anyone explain how a pixture with 866,760 pixels is sharper than 2,023,600 pixels. Human eyes see the two frames as one picture. When you watch a video do you see anything odd when the film is only 24 fps. Of course not.

Frequent Visitor

MNtundraRET wrote: This is one real whopper of a "Fish" tail. I never heard anyone explain how a pixture with 866,760 pixels is sharper than 2,023,600 pixels. Human eyes see the two frames as one picture. When you watch a video do you see anything odd when the film is only 24 fps. Of course not.

Wow, talk about conflating issues. You are wrong and I hope that you understand the 24fps is upsampled to a higher frame rate in your TV. If you watch a wagon wheel etc at 24fps it can actually look like it's roling backwards when the wagon is moving forward. I suspect you're too young to remember the old movie film days. Just do a minimum amount of research and you will know that you are wrong. 720p delivers more pixels/second than 1080i at 1920 x 1080. Progressive compresses better than interlaced so bit rates are similar. 1080p only requires about 50% more bitrate than 1080i at half the frame rate due to the more effecient compression. (less movement between adjacent frames to compress). If 1080i looks better to you, it's because your scaler prefers it or the original source signal is 1080i. Like I said, results will vary by situation and scaler. The solution here is to just use 1080P which makes this discussion moot.

Wow, I try to help out here and you guys are more worried about not being wrong than doing actual research. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Frequent Visitor

https://testufo.com/framerates#count=3&background=stars&pps=960

Top is the motion you get from 720p, middle relates to 1080i as a full frame takes twice as long and bottom, lower rates like 24 before upscaling. Upscaling implimentation can vary results but native rates would give something similar to this. We don't view still pictures on a TV and even when a background is still, your eye and emphasis is drawn to motion.  1080i and 720p don't have disimilar bit rates to the the extra width bits in 1080i even though it's only 540 lines per frame but progessive came into being for a reason. Sorry if I overstaed the pixels per frame situation. They are very close but 720p is better in a few distinct ways before upscaling.

Expert

@goodvibes wrote:

Top is the motion you get from 720p, middle relates to 1080i as a full frame takes twice as long and bottom, lower rates like 24 before upscaling. Upscaling implimentation can vary results but native rates would give something similar to this. We don't view still pictures on a TV and even when a background is still, your eye and emphasis is drawn to motion.  1080i and 720p don't have disimilar bit rates to the the extra width bits in 1080i even though it's only 540 lines per frame but progessive came into being for a reason. Sorry if I overstaed the pixels per frame situation. They are very close but 720p is better in a few distinct ways before upscaling.

If you want to taken seriously here, please profide us with some facts. What is the best model of television you are using right now? Are you able to watch both cable, and over the air channels (connected to antenna) with it?

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@goodvibes wrote:

If you want to taken seriously here, please profide us with some facts. What is the best model of television you are using right now? Are you able to watch both cable, and over the air channels (connected to antenna) with it?

google 720p vs 1080i videos document the difference. the interlaced mode is being deprecated and will not be in future ATSC formats (probably at the next broadcast changeover to max 8k). nothing that is not a CRT is native interlace. all streaming is done in progressive to PCs and smart devices. 

Frequent Visitor

Almost all HiDef broadcasts are 720P or 1080i. Cable or over the air. P and i mean what they do and are not a figure of speech. They are transmited as exactly that. My TOTL xfinity box doesn't offer native resolution options because constantly changing res slows down surfing etc. so you simple choose what's most appropriate. The are no bad scalers, considering. With modern TVs, that's having the box upsample both to 1080P. Anyone that wants to argue can just forget about it. As has been stated above going progessive was a big deal for TVs and PCs for a reason. Hopefully, some will find the info useful. Whether over air or cable souce, everyting gets upscaled to the pixel count of your TV and to a progressive signal. Results can vary by set due to different scalers. Top Sonys are best though I understand LG and Samsung just upped their game for on their top models. Source origin isn't important and ymmv but interlaced tends to have poorer motion and a generally softer look when all is equal. No one is saying that changing 1080i to 720P before your TV upscales again may not be the best way but it's not the res, it that you're changing formats twice (once at xfinity and once in your set) instead of once but scaling 720P to 1080I would be worse. Progressive compresses better and is easier to upscale. I'm sure Xfinity considered this when making a change.