Community Forum

X1, IFTTT, and home automation functions

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

X1, IFTTT, and home automation functions

So IFTTT support has been added and that's really great step forward.  I have it setup for notifications and that works.  I see this most likely is working over a private API it's using to communicate to the comcast site, which in turn talks to our set top boxes for notifications.

The website home.xfinity.com also has the ability to control our Home automation system, so turn on the lights and adjust the thermostat, so the functionality exists from the website, but not IFTTT.

Most systems are now integrating with IFTTT and adding support for this, such as SmartThing, Nest, etc...

Does Comcast have plans to extend additional features to the IFTTT Comcast Labs connection to expose light and thermostat control?

If this was done, we could use IFTTT to control our lights and thermostat from devices like Amazon Echo and the upcoming Google Home devices, allowing us to speak to our house and control lights and thermostat, all by just using IFTTT.

I feel the connection with IFTTT is already there, the API's and code already exist because I can do it from the home.xfinity.com website, so it's just exposing those features to the IFTTT connection, require a re-auth to allow the customer to give the extra permissions, and done!

If you did this, it would be awesome!

As I move into using something like Amazon Echo and/or Google Home, without this support, it will drive me to a more generic home automation hub that will support this functionality.

It's so close!!

New Poster

Re: X1, IFTTT, and home automation functions

I know this has been discussed before, just wondering if any updates?  There are some articles from 2015 talking about integrating with Amazon Echo as a possibility.

These devices like Amazon Echo and Google Home are going to get really popular, and one of the big things you do with them is control home automation.

You could already just get a smartthings hub and pair all your lights and thermostat with that hub and just remove them from xfinity system, but it would be better to have it all in one system.

With Google Home announced and launching soon, and the big parts of there pitch and commercial are lights and temperature, Comcast really needs to find a way to integrate with them.

I feel all the tech is there, it's just a matter of exposing it.

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: X1, IFTTT, and home automation functions