Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 External Hard Drive

Contributor

X1 External Hard Drive

Just got Comcast installed last week.  The X1 box did not have a hard drive - only cloud DVR.

I went into the Comcast office and was told there is no way to get more than 500g of storage in the cloud DVR or by using an external hard drive on the X1 DVR.  After a few more questions the rep went into the back and came back to say...  "They recently turned on the eSATA port on the X1 DVRs and if I got one of those I could add a drive.

So I added the X1 DVR box - including its extra fee.

What a shock that it didn't work with external drives.

I went back to the same Comcast office and another person told me the eSATA ports are not enabled and will not be.

Really?  I gave up a DirecTV DVR with a 2TB hard drive so I could be limited to 500gig?

Is that really the deal?

Help!

Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 External Hard Drive

Yes, that is the deal.  No eSATA for external drives.  It will never happen so don't hold your breath.

Maybe at some point, Extended Cloud DVR Storage will become a reality, but don't hold your breath. 

Moral of the story, be happy with what you have, or go back to what you had, but never hold your breath waiting for Comcast.  ;-)

Gold Problem Solver

X1 has improved over the three plus years it has been available. But recording capacity remains a glaring weakness.

It is what it is. 500GB.

mgreer wrote:

Just got Comcast installed last week.  The X1 box did not have a hard drive - only cloud DVR.

I went into the Comcast office and was told there is no way to get more than 500g of storage in the cloud DVR or by using an external hard drive on the X1 DVR.  After a few more questions the rep went into the back and came back to say...  "They recently turned on the eSATA port on the X1 DVRs and if I got one of those I could add a drive.

I went back to the same Comcast office and another person told me the eSATA ports are not enabled and will not be.

Really?  I gave up a DirecTV DVR with a 2TB hard drive so I could be limited to 500gig?

Is that really the deal?

Help!

Problem Solver

mgreer wrote:

Is that really the deal?

Help!

I'm not sure what the Comcast personnel was smoking when they told you had Cloud DVR with an X1 box without a hard drive. Presently (unless something new has been introduced), if you don't have an in-home DVR, then you don't get access to the Cloud DVR. Originally, the Cloud DVR was suppose to be a mirror to your physical DVR, with recordings occurring simultaneously on both systems. Now Comcast has throttled back the Cloud DVR capacity to only 60 hours (regardless of quality, HD vs SD). Anything after 60 hours, and shows start getting deleted off the Cloud to make room for new. So who knows if you are actually getting 500 gig on the Cloud DVR. Maybe Comcast needs a larger server farm.

Expert

there are plans offered by billing that include all your equipment so you can have 3 dvrs for example without extra charges. cloud dvr under those plans 'does' cost $10/month (discounted to 7.99 for 12 months) since you are not directly paying for an anyroom DVR (makes no sense i know but compared to $20/month per DVR it isn't bad). with 3 DVRs you get 180 cloud recordings if all are 60 minutes and in HD. more in SD.

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

there are plans offered by billing that include all your equipment so you can have 3 dvrs for example without extra charges. cloud dvr under those plans 'does' cost $10/month (discounted to 7.99 for 12 months) since you are not directly paying for an anyroom DVR (makes no sense i know but compared to $20/month per DVR it isn't bad). with 3 DVRs you get 180 cloud recordings if all are 60 minutes and in HD. more in SD.

Rusty, I don't think the Houston market has a plan for 3 dvr's without extra charges.  I'm between billing cycles, so I will see how much the third DVR has added to my account.  And the Houston market is going to a 1TB data plan November 1.  Fortunately, I have only used about 250mb the last three months.

Contributor

Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll have to return to DirecTV or go Tivo if I want more than 500g.  It's quite the adjustment to go from DirecTV with my 4TB external drive to a tiny 500GB with Comcast and no way to increase it other than having 3 DVRs.

Geez - what are they thinking?

Most Valued Poster

mgreer wrote:

Thanks everyone.  Looks like I'll have to return to DirecTV or go Tivo if I want more than 500g.  It's quite the adjustment to go from DirecTV with my 4TB external drive to a tiny 500GB with Comcast and no way to increase it other than having 3 DVRs.

Geez - what are they thinking?

Actually, the question should read:  What are we thinking?  We're the ones writing the checks every month.  

Contributor

Good point!

Contributor

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

mgreer wrote:

Is that really the deal?

Help!

I'm not sure what the Comcast personnel was smoking when they told you had Cloud DVR with an X1 box without a hard drive. Presently (unless something new has been introduced), if you don't have an in-home DVR, then you don't get access to the Cloud DVR. Originally, the Cloud DVR was suppose to be a mirror to your physical DVR, with recordings occurring simultaneously on both systems. Now Comcast has throttled back the Cloud DVR capacity to only 60 hours (regardless of quality, HD vs SD). Anything after 60 hours, and shows start getting deleted off the Cloud to make room for new. So who knows if you are actually getting 500 gig on the Cloud DVR. Maybe Comcast needs a larger server farm.

HowAboutThisOne - originally I did not have an X1 DVR, just a XG2v2-P.  I was able to record to my 'Cloud DVR' here in the Salt Lake City market.  Maybe that's not how it is everywhere?  Not sure.

The package I signed up for included 'DVR for 1 Year' which I thought would be a real DVR but the installer said it was the 'Cloud DVR'.

Most Valued Poster

When I got X1 in August of 2013 I envisoned that in 3 years time or so, the X1 platform would evolve from standalone DVR's to small boxes with no hard drives.  All storage in the cloud servers with x amount of storage space available for the basic price.  More storage available for extra fees.

From a business standpoint, this all seemed to me to be a no brainer.  Small cable boxes with no moving parts meant less problems and returns.  Maximizing profits.  Option to purchase more space for a fee another money tree.  Many would want to use this as a video achiving service would gladly shell out money for more space without the threat of HDD failure.

Maybe what you describe is the first moves in that direction, I do not know.  What I do know, is that all this is long overdue and if it were to arrive tomorrow it would be about time.  

Problem Solver

mgreer wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

mgreer wrote:

Is that really the deal?

Help!

HowAboutThisOne - originally I did not have an X1 DVR, just a XG2v2-P.  I was able to record to my 'Cloud DVR' here in the Salt Lake City market.  Maybe that's not how it is everywhere?  Not sure.

The package I signed up for included 'DVR for 1 Year' which I thought would be a real DVR but the installer said it was the 'Cloud DVR'.

Definitely not how it is everywhere! Maybe Salt Lake City could be a test market. I wonder if the 60 hour recording limit exists on that version of the Cloud DVR? That would make your Cloud DVR available space to be much less than 500 gig if recording only SD quality.

Gold Problem Solver

Earth to Comcast.

Recording capacity is X1's biggest weak point...

I sure hope MPEG 4 improves this.

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

mgreer wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

mgreer wrote:

Is that really the deal?

Help!

Definitely not how it is everywhere! Maybe Salt Lake City could be a test market. I wonder if the 60 hour recording limit exists on that version of the Cloud DVR? That would make your Cloud DVR available space to be much less than 500 gig if recording only SD quality.

Expert

mgreer wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

mgreer wrote:

Is that really the deal?

Help!

Are you saying you exchanged the XG2v2-P for an X1 DVR?

Contributor

RobertWy - nope, I added and X1 DVR - currently have both and a Tivo Bolt with CableCard.  Maybe canceling and keeping DirecTV because of the picture quality drop and the DVR capacity.

New Poster

If this is true, that there is no way to have more than 500GB, I am canceling my Xfinity and paying for whatever cost to get out of the contract

Expert

Blueskywalker wrote:

If this is true, that there is no way to have more than 500GB, I am canceling my Xfinity and paying for whatever cost to get out of the contract

you can contact 800-comcast and ask for a package that includes the equipment and HD technology fee. Then add up to a total of 3 DVRs for a home capacity of 1.5 TB (3x500G. packages are good for a year, call back 2 weeks before end date.

Frequent Visitor

Comcast is light years beyond listening to us mere earthlings using their services. They hire drones to answer or calls, and many times don't even want to talk with us. They prefer you talk to that "bimbo" on the machine, and then make you listen to adds as you wait. SAD!