Community Forum

X1 DVR shuts off when Yamaha RX-V367 receiver shuts off

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

X1 DVR shuts off when Yamaha RX-V367 receiver shuts off

We just upgraded to the X1 technology.  We were told the X1 DVR should stay on all the time.  When we use the All Power button the tv shuts off which then shuts off our reveiver which then shuts off the X1 DVR.

We have a Sharp Aquos that is pluged into the wall and then an HDMI cord going to the Output HDMI of the receiver.  The X1 DVR is connected to the recieve only through the HDMI cord and it is connect to the HDMI2 slot.

Is there a way to configure the receive so it does not shut off the X1 box?  And if so will the sound still play? 

Thanks for any advice. 

I am sure there is a way to configure everything so the tv doesn't have to stay on all the time in order for the X1 DVR to stay on all the time. 

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR shuts off when Yamaha RX-V367 receiver shuts off

Yes. Go into the setup menu of both your Yamaha receiver and Sharp TV. Locate the HDMI CEC settings (HDMI control) and turn them off.

@jen2628 wrote:

We just upgraded to the X1 technology.  We were told the X1 DVR should stay on all the time.  When we use the All Power button the tv shuts off which then shuts off our reveiver which then shuts off the X1 DVR.

We have a Sharp Aquos that is pluged into the wall and then an HDMI cord going to the Output HDMI of the receiver.  The X1 DVR is connected to the recieve only through the HDMI cord and it is connect to the HDMI2 slot.

Is there a way to configure the receive so it does not shut off the X1 box?  And if so will the sound still play? 

Thanks for any advice. 

I am sure there is a way to configure everything so the tv doesn't have to stay on all the time in order for the X1 DVR to stay on all the time. 

Gold Problem Solver

I noticed Yamaha has two different firmware updates for your receiver and it appears both of them deal with HDMI...

@jen2628 wrote:

Thanks for any advice. 

New Poster

Thank you for the information.

I honestly think it is the Aquos Link componet of the TV that is shutting down the DVR.  When i turn off the reciver by using the reciver's remote the DVR stays powered up (which the TV is still on).  Then when i turn off the TV the DVR powers down.  Seems odd to me since the DVR is not connected at all to the TV.  It is only connected to the receiver through HDMI. 

I have tried to turn off the Aquos Link that controls compatible equimpment but am not having any luck.

I am not sure how to update the receiver's firmware. 

I will likely need to get on the phone with Comcast to walk through some trouble shooting or Sharp.

Gold Problem Solver

It very well could be the TV. Just so you know, all of the HDMI components in your system can "see" each other. Even though the X1 box is connected to your receiver, it can see detect your Sharp TV (it has to because it needs to read what is called the EDID table from the TV).

The updates for your Yamaha dealt with HDMI pass through so you might want to learn about it. Also there could be updates for your TV.

No offense to the kind people from Comcast who participate in the forum but the odds you would talk to someone from Comcast on the phone that would know anything about this is nearly impossible. You would have a better chance talking to Sharp.

If you turned off "Aquos Link" but nothing changed, unplug ALL of your components and try again.

@jen2628 wrote:

Thank you for the information.

I honestly think it is the Aquos Link componet of the TV that is shutting down the DVR.  When i turn off the reciver by using the reciver's remote the DVR stays powered up (which the TV is still on).  Then when i turn off the TV the DVR powers down.  Seems odd to me since the DVR is not connected at all to the TV.  It is only connected to the receiver through HDMI. 

I have tried to turn off the Aquos Link that controls compatible equimpment but am not having any luck.

I am not sure how to update the receiver's firmware. 

I will likely need to get on the phone with Comcast to walk through some trouble shooting or Sharp.

Regular Contributor

Good information seems I might be having the same problem with the video resolution on my X1 box.  For some reason it thinks my new Samsung 6300 tv and Sony STR-DNG840 is only capabile of 720p.  I had a sense that it might be my HDMI pass-through and the settings I have on it.  I'm going to turn all those settings off tonight when I get back home and reset the cable box to see if that fixes it.  Something seems to happen to the X1 box to trick it into thinking my TV is only 720p.  Considering it's 1080p and my receiver is capbable of 4K pass-thru I seriously doubt it's either of those ;-)

Plus my BD movies look AMAZING on my TV wall now

Problem Solver

Please make sure the TV is plugged into a grounded outlet.  There are instances of signal passing through an ungrounded outlet to the TV and via HDMI cord back into X1 stb causing problems.

Also, it could be a faulty HDMI cord.  Try with different cords and see if that helps.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

Brandon,

I am not sure how much experience you have with audio video components but I have not run into a situation for many years where grounding or lack of grounding was an issue with today's AV components unless your are trying to say there is something different or non spec about X1.

In fact I have seen situations where grounded outlets caused ground loops in peoples systems which resulted in humming over the speakers and faint horizontal lines on the TV. The only situation to fix it was to remove grounds on the AV gear.

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Please make sure the TV is plugged into a grounded outlet.  There are instances of signal passing through an ungrounded outlet to the TV and via HDMI cord back into X1 stb causing problems.

Also, it could be a faulty HDMI cord.  Try with different cords and see if that helps.

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

@ComcastBrandon wrote:

Regular Contributor

Bradon,

That's for the suggestions it has to do with HDMI CEC, as removing or disabling those settings on the TV and the receiver solved the problem.  I suspect it's more to do with the reciever and the more advanced power settings and pass-thru options than the TV.  I'll continue to play around with what I've disabled to see if I can isolate what componant it was exactly.

As for the cables and outlets I use a power conditioner for my home theater setup and it worked fine before I moved to the new TV and receiver.  My TV and receiver were well over 4 years old so they didn't have the same options as the newer equipment does.  Cables are also not an issue as they are new tested HDMI 1.4 cables that support 4K as well as ARC which was the main reason I moved to these cables.

Sadly one of my bigger issues now is how bad the HD quailty of the TV shows look compared to my blu-ray movies.  The comression on the HD channels being sent by Comcast is getting to the point of not really being consider HD anymore.  Even though I know they are seperate systems and don't have anything to do with one and other I would galdly give up 25Mbps of my internet connection to get better TV quality.  BD movies look and sound amazing, some HD channels look better than others but they are still fairly compressed on all channels.  I know Comcast does this to provide the many SD channels that I have to believe no one watches anymore.

Gold Problem Solver

I have often said that X1 has a strange implementation of HDMI and this is just another example. The X1 boxes should be totally immune to HDMI CEC commands unless they provide settings to control them.

In regards to picture quality, I don't think that comparing Comcast to Blu-ray is a fair comparison. Of course Blu-ray is better. It should be. Comparing Comcast to other cable providers or satellite providers would be more valid. Also, if you really want to make a comparison of picture quality, connect an antenna to your TV and compare Comcast's picture quality to your antenna. I have done this. I think you will find they are very close which means the picture problems you are seeing are the broadcast itself and not Comcast's retransmission of the broadcast....

@Jcato77 wrote:

Bradon,

That's for the suggestions it has to do with HDMI CEC, as removing or disabling those settings on the TV and the receiver solved the problem.  I suspect it's more to do with the reciever and the more advanced power settings and pass-thru options than the TV.  I'll continue to play around with what I've disabled to see if I can isolate what componant it was exactly.

As for the cables and outlets I use a power conditioner for my home theater setup and it worked fine before I moved to the new TV and receiver.  My TV and receiver were well over 4 years old so they didn't have the same options as the newer equipment does.  Cables are also not an issue as they are new tested HDMI 1.4 cables that support 4K as well as ARC which was the main reason I moved to these cables.

Sadly one of my bigger issues now is how bad the HD quailty of the TV shows look compared to my blu-ray movies.  The comression on the HD channels being sent by Comcast is getting to the point of not really being consider HD anymore.  Even though I know they are seperate systems and don't have anything to do with one and other I would galdly give up 25Mbps of my internet connection to get better TV quality.  BD movies look and sound amazing, some HD channels look better than others but they are still fairly compressed on all channels.  I know Comcast does this to provide the many SD channels that I have to believe no one watches anymore.

Regular Contributor

Rick,

Ahh if 1080p weren't the gold standard at which everything is compared against than your point would be spot on.  I've had Comcast for years on and off, using both DirecTV and Uverse even at one point.  When Comcast first offered HDTV I had it and it looked way better then.  I no longer have my old rig which I could test the signals and their compression but you can read some fairly lengthy discussion over on dslreports about how much/bad Comcast and others compress their HD channels in order to be able to deliver "The most HD channels".  For some reason Comcast has not upgraded their head-ends as much/fast here in the Bay area as they have in other locations.  I'm still only able to get 1 X1 DVR box where other regions I've seen/heard people with 2 or even 3 of them to be able to record 12 shows at one time.  I'm thankful for the Internet speed upgrades they have done in the recent months which gives me more tubes to stream higher quality content.  We could debate the merits of their compression but this thread was related to the HDMI-CEC and how it's caused problems.  I've seemingly corrected my issues albeit with a hammer instead of the surgical blade I usually like to use.  I'll post back if I'm able to tweak some of my settings to get it more finely tuned here in the next few days.

Gold Problem Solver

You are over thinking. Plug an antenna into your TV an do a direct comparison. You will see much of what you are talking about is in the broadcast and not Comcast. Also, 1080p is not the gold standard. 4K Ultra HD is. That being said, it all depends upon the level of signal processing. Under the right conditions on the right TV, 720p could look better than 1080P. Many TV's are optimized for 1080i.

Sorry dude but I think you are reading and speculating more than you are actually watching and experiencing for yourself. Plug an OTA antenna into your TV. Find a channel that is over 80% signal strength so we know error correction isn't kicking in. Compare it to the same channel on Comcast. You will see what I am talking about. You won't see much of a difference, if any.

In fact I am currently flipping back and forth between my antenna and Comcast on the CBS Thursday night football game and if anything the Comcast image is cleaner and has less noise and artifacts.

@Jcato77 wrote:

Rick,

Ahh if 1080p weren't the gold standard at which everything is compared against than your point would be spot on.  I've had Comcast for years on and off, using both DirecTV and Uverse even at one point.  When Comcast first offered HDTV I had it and it looked way better then.  I no longer have my old rig which I could test the signals and their compression but you can read some fairly lengthy discussion over on dslreports about how much/bad Comcast and others compress their HD channels in order to be able to deliver "The most HD channels".  For some reason Comcast has not upgraded their head-ends as much/fast here in the Bay area as they have in other locations.  I'm still only able to get 1 X1 DVR box where other regions I've seen/heard people with 2 or even 3 of them to be able to record 12 shows at one time.  I'm thankful for the Internet speed upgrades they have done in the recent months which gives me more tubes to stream higher quality content.  We could debate the merits of their compression but this thread was related to the HDMI-CEC and how it's caused problems.  I've seemingly corrected my issues albeit with a hammer instead of the surgical blade I usually like to use.  I'll post back if I'm able to tweak some of my settings to get it more finely tuned here in the next few days.