Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

X1 DVR - Ability to Truely Manage DVR Series Recordings

Contributor

X1 DVR - Ability to Truely Manage DVR Series Recordings

I've tried to look this up and it appears Comcast has removed the ability to truly manage DVR series recordings so I assume there is NO answer to this as yet.

BUT, if we can't manage this then how can we clean anything up related to OLD series recordings or make changes that allow us to record what we really want????

Here's a list of some of the features what I'm talking about:

1) Setting series priority.

2) Knowing when a recording conflict even exists.

3) Deleting OLD series recording entries (series no longer on).

4) You set a new series recording, it shows it has set it, but NOTHING gets recorded.

Issues:

1) Setting series priorities

It appears there is only 1 way to do this any longer.

And that is only on the TV itself thru the xfinity menu under Scheduled Recordings/Series Priority.

The problems are numerous, but the main problem is it's very limited in functionality and extremely slow to use.

2) Knowing when conflicts exist

I've seen nothing any longer that indicates if there is a conflict.

With the variety of equipment and the various abilities and limitations of each box, when you have more than 1 box and you

swap out one type of box for a different one, what wasn't a conflict can become a conflict and there's no easy way to

see or manage this.

3) When I look under Scheduled Recordings/Series Priority I see many OLD series listed that are no longer produced

and therefore will no longer have NEW episodes on.

I can find NO process to delete these entries at all.

Also, I see many series with MULTIPLE entries.

I assume this occurred because a series recording had been previously set, but then the next season it doesn't appear

as being recorded. So you set a new series recording for it, but now there are 2 entries for the same series.

Problem is there is no way to delete the old entry!

4) Setting up a new series recording and then nothing is ever recorded.

I have tried to set up a series recording for new episodes only on a specific channel, both directly thru the guide and online,

and I get a response that indicates it's set, but then nothing happens.

None of the new episodes show as being scheduled for a series recording and nothing is ever recorded.

If I try to set it up again, it shows it is already set up.

If I modify a setting (start or stop time say), it saves these settings and the next time I look they are still set.

The series shows up under Scheduled Recordings/Series Priority.

I CAN set a "Just this episode" recording and that DOES WORK!

It appears that Comcast has added a lot of features, but also removed many critical features and given us no way to easily manage series recordings, which also includes cleaning up old recording requests. This lack of capability is probably what has caused some of the problems. Many series have moved from one channel to another and that alone may be causing confusion in the recording settings. If we can't delete all references to old series recordings to get a "clean slate", then we can't see if that alone allows us to set up a new series recording that works.

If we can't do this then how can we see if doing so fixes any of the issues we encounter?

If we can do this, then where and how?

Expert

Re: X1 DVR - Ability to Truely Manage DVR Series Recordings

eraym wrote:

I've tried to look this up and it appears Comcast has removed the ability to truly manage DVR series recordings so I assume there is NO answer to this as yet.

BUT, if we can't manage this then how can we clean anything up related to OLD series recordings or make changes that allow us to record what we really want????

Here's a list of some of the features what I'm talking about:

1) Setting series priority.

2) Knowing when a recording conflict even exists.

3) Deleting OLD series recording entries (series no longer on).

4) You set a new series recording, it shows it has set it, but NOTHING gets recorded.

Issues:

And that is only on the TV itself thru the xfinity menu under Scheduled Recordings/Series Priority.

The problems are numerous, but the main problem is it's very limited in functionality and extremely slow to use.

2) Knowing when conflicts exist

I've seen nothing any longer that indicates if there is a conflict.

With the variety of equipment and the various abilities and limitations of each box, when you have more than 1 box and you

swap out one type of box for a different one, what wasn't a conflict can become a conflict and there's no easy way to

see or manage this.

3) When I look under Scheduled Recordings/Series Priority I see many OLD series listed that are no longer produced

and therefore will no longer have NEW episodes on.

I can find NO process to delete these entries at all.

Also, I see many series with MULTIPLE entries.

I assume this occurred because a series recording had been previously set, but then the next season it doesn't appear

as being recorded. So you set a new series recording for it, but now there are 2 entries for the same series.

Problem is there is no way to delete the old entry!

4) Setting up a new series recording and then nothing is ever recorded.

I have tried to set up a series recording for new episodes only on a specific channel, both directly thru the guide and online,

and I get a response that indicates it's set, but then nothing happens.

None of the new episodes show as being scheduled for a series recording and nothing is ever recorded.

If I try to set it up again, it shows it is already set up.

If I modify a setting (start or stop time say), it saves these settings and the next time I look they are still set.

The series shows up under Scheduled Recordings/Series Priority.

I CAN set a "Just this episode" recording and that DOES WORK!

It appears that Comcast has added a lot of features, but also removed many critical features and given us no way to easily manage series recordings, which also includes cleaning up old recording requests. This lack of capability is probably what has caused some of the problems. Many series have moved from one channel to another and that alone may be causing confusion in the recording settings. If we can't delete all references to old series recordings to get a "clean slate", then we can't see if that alone allows us to set up a new series recording that works.

If we can't do this then how can we see if doing so fixes any of the issues we encounter?

If we can do this, then where and how?

on the set top box, while viewing series priority to delete one just navigate to the listing and hit the D button on the remote.

to modify priority of series navigate to the series and press OK and press the up or down arrow to change the item to a higher (lower number) or lower (higher number) position. when you have that listing where you want it press OK again. Then proceed to move next item. When finished navigate to confirm and select confirm to save.

The default new series list records only 'new' marked episodes. The season last episode of some series has already been aired. To test change the new recording to record repeat episodes. After saving the setting navigate to the series and review episodes (upcoming) and note the series recording '3 red dots' icon next to the listing.

Contributor

Thanks Rustyben for the additional info on how to delete a series recording. I actually tried to search for the info and all Comcast came up with was 1 single entry having to do with voice messaging ... why that had ANYTHING to do with DVR series recordings and deleting them I will never know. I even tried rewording it several times with exactly the same result before I gave up.

If a series recording is set up and shows in the Scheduled Recordings list, then it's easy to cancel it there. It was when it wasn't showing up in the Scheduled Recordings list that made it confusing and when I logged in online the old method of deleting them was no longer present.

But, with the old online method it was many times faster than this method. Between what I have scheduled and what my daughter has scheduled, and the fact that most series seasons are half what they use to be and there are many more channels now than before, therefore many more series being aired than before, the sequential list can be long. In my case it was about 120 long. I have now deleted about 40 of those, but that took over 30 minutes to do! Way too cumbersome and slow given technical capabilities these days.

Also, it still lacks anything that really allows us to manage priorities easily. Conflicts relate to how many recordings are scheduled at the same time on the same day. Having a sequential list that only lists the series name gives you only 1 piece on info needed, dates and times are critical for setting priority since that defines IF a conflict will be present. Nothing in X1 allows you to manage this easily at all. And nothing in the scheduled recordings list shows anything related to priority. Therefore you can't easily determine IF a conflict will occur and WHAT the impact will be.

And to make it worse, if you schedule a new series to record, it gives the LAST series scheduled the HIGHEST priority be default. In almost 100% of the cases you most likely want what you have already scheduled to have a higher priority.  This problem alone has caused many problems in my house where all the garbage housewives shows my daughter just scheduled knocked out everything I wanted recorded and I didn't even know because I hadn't changed anything. I usually find this out AFTER it's too late and what I expected to be there isn't in the recorded list.

Prior to X1 we would actually see conflicts listed in the Scheduled Recordings list and then you could make changes if needed to get the best result. And since the number of recordings allowed at the same time depends on exactly what equipment you have in combination, it's harder to determine the impacts. If you take a box in and exchange it and get a different model, what you can and can't do just changed. Comcast needs to come up with a way to EASILY manage this if they really want to claim they have a great entertainment system. In my opinion, without that they can't justifiably make such a claim. There are just too many issues and problems with what they have currently given us. And it's just too slow and "clunky" as is. If there is more than 1 person in your household setting these things you can be guaranteed that they are not going to do ALL the different separate things needed now to determine if they created a conflict and what the impact would be.

Regular Contributor

eraym wrote:

Issues:

You can set priorities in (at least) the iOS app "TV Remote". Go to the Priority Manager tab of the DVR Manager. There is an Edit button in the upper right corner. Tapping it enables sliders on the right side of each show. This eluded me for a long time, but there it is.

Contributor

I do not have any Apple or Android devices at all, so the iOS or Android apps can't help me at all.

Plus, there is absolutely no reason to expect anyone to purchase any such devices to use software for simple capabilities that should already be a part of what we pay Comcast for. If any company wants to create apps for iOS and Android there's no problem with doing so, unless they decide that such software is paramount over providing the same capabilities directly from the services and devices we are already paying for. Any such software should be considered the same as an extra feature, and not supplant the basic software on the devices, the xfinity cloud servers, or online through their website.

They should put more effort into the software for managing the DVR series recordings. There are numerous issues and they have actually reduced the management abilities over the last 6-12 months, not improved or increased them.

New Poster

The original poster is absolutely right. The interface is atrocious ... and in interests of "commonality" the interfaces have been made the same for remote, online, and mobile app based. Before, the online interface was slightly better to manage recoring priorities and rapidly delete old series subscribptions, but now, with the common interface, there is no efficient way to manage series recordings. The Xfinity interfaces have actually been getting worse over time and not better. The old Tivo interface from 10+ years ago was way better and faster.

Expert

xendax wrote:

The original poster is absolutely right. The interface is atrocious ... and in interests of "commonality" the interfaces have been made the same for remote, online, and mobile app based. Before, the online interface was slightly better to manage recoring priorities and rapidly delete old series subscribptions, but now, with the common interface, there is no efficient way to manage series recordings. The Xfinity interfaces have actually been getting worse over time and not better. The old Tivo interface from 10+ years ago was way better and faster.

if you have any iOS device you can use the Xfinity TV Remote app to easily manage series priority items that are already in your list.