Community Forum

X1 Boxes with 2 cable lines coming from the tap

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: X1 Boxes with 2 cable lines coming from the tap

Official Employee

Other than a solid connection from box to gateway, no advantage. And being so close to it, it shouldn't make a difference.

If you do go that route, you need to go into the gateway settings and enable moca first.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. Guess I'll give away the Arris I own and set up the gateway that came with the SIK. I'll go to the Xfinity store and swap out my top boxes for the wireless.

Back to my ethernet question, any benefit in running the CAT6 from the router to the wireless box? One of the TVs sits right next to the router, so it would take zero effort to hard wire it with CAT6.
Official Employee

The 1682 will work with wireless boxes. If the 2 lines are at the pedestal, they may be too far away for moca to work with a splitter. The Xi5 boxes are an option, so are going back to legacy dvrs.
Frequent Visitor

Arris TG1682G is the model.

Now I run my own Arris. I wasn't even going to use the Xfinity box, as mine works fine. But if I need something else for the wireless boxes...
Official Employee

Are both lines coming to the house off the same tap or different taps?

What gateway did you get?
Expert

it appears so you can try it 'across' the floor first to be sure it works. Someone said they thought it was still using wifi. be sure to let us know. an OE may comment too.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

The gateway they sent with the SIK won't work with the wireless boxes?

Another question: if I can easily run CAT6 to the wireless boxes, can I run the internet signal into the box via Ethernet v actual wifi?
Expert

mattmcbride wrote:

Thanks.  The other option I am now exploring is to go with the wireless boxes for the secondary TVs.  I went onto a support chat and asked if I could just walk into my local Xfinity store with my secondary boxes and have them swapped out for the wireless boxes.  They assured me I could do this, and that there would be no extra charge (the same $10/mo/box I pay now).

See any problems with this option?  I have a pretty solid wifi signal in the location of both secondary TV's.

if you already have coax to those locations why would you want to use your wireless pipe? if you do this, take your modem too as it takes a special rental-only modem/wireless-gateway.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Thanks.  The other option I am now exploring is to go with the wireless boxes for the secondary TVs.  I went onto a support chat and asked if I could just walk into my local Xfinity store with my secondary boxes and have them swapped out for the wireless boxes.  They assured me I could do this, and that there would be no extra charge (the same $10/mo/box I pay now).

See any problems with this option?  I have a pretty solid wifi signal in the location of both secondary TV's.

Expert

mattmcbride wrote:

Another thought...could I just return the "additional TV" boxes and use my old HD boxes with no DVR on the secondary TV's?  That would be a little annoying but better than what I have now, which is one TV in the whole house that gets cable.

short answer is yes you can. However normally they just put in a powered zero gain no-loss amp/splitter. The power can come from any nearby power outlet at one of the TV locations. I had two taps too, the installer changed as above and now all my TVs/modem are on one line from teh tap.

Frequent Visitor

Another thought...could I just return the "additional TV" boxes and use my old HD boxes with no DVR on the secondary TV's?  That would be a little annoying but better than what I have now, which is one TV in the whole house that gets cable.

Frequent Visitor

X1 Boxes with 2 cable lines coming from the tap

We have a bit of an unusual set up at our home, dating back to the early days of cable.  A little background...our house was built in the late 1970s and is on a basement foundation, except for one room, which is on a slab.  When cable was first brought to the home, presumably in the early 1980s, they ran the line into the one room on the slab, as that is the main room of the home (the family room).  Later, as it became the norm to have multiple TVs and internet running off of the cable, a second cable connection was brought to the house from the tap.  This second connection goes into the basement and is split to go to the phone modem, the internet gateway and multiple TVs.  This has not caused a problem and everything has worked fairly well...until now.

We recently upgraded to X1 and received the new boxes.  The DVR box was installed on the TV on the slab.  No problems.  The "additional TV" boxes were to be installed on the TV's running off the line into the basement...big problem.  Because these boxes are coming off a different connection from the tap, they cannot "talk" to the DVR box and cannot be set up.  Help from Comcast support did not resolve the issue, as I expected.

What is the fix for this?  Can I get the line split right at the tap so that the two lines coming into the house are really on the same line?  Will this cause too much loss in connection (about 75 feet from house to tap)?  Will Comcast let me have 2 DVR boxes so that I can have one on each line from the tap?  Any other thoughts?