Community Forum

Wireless cable box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Wireless cable box

We do not currently have coaxial outlets in our home and are considering the options.  A Comcast technician recommended a wireless cable box so we only have to install one coaxial outlet and then we can connect the other tvs wirelessly.  However, I read somewhere that you have to watch the same channel on all the tvs that are wirelessly connected.  Is this true?  We would want to be able to watch different channels in different rooms.  Are there any other recommendations for this?

Expert

Re: Wireless cable box

More info on the Xi5 wireless boxes:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-Xi5-TV-Box/td-p/2860100

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

@kmersinger223 wrote:

We do not currently have coaxial outlets in our home and are considering the options.  A Comcast technician recommended a wireless cable box so we only have to install one coaxial outlet and then we can connect the other tvs wirelessly.  However, I read somewhere that you have to watch the same channel on all the tvs that are wirelessly connected.  Is this true?  We would want to be able to watch different channels in different rooms.  Are there any other recommendations for this?

That isn't true, the wireless boxes get their feed from either the dvr or XG2 (whichever box you intend on being the main box). But you are limited to two in a home. Anything more than that you'll need another solution.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

Great to hear, thank you!  We would only need cable in the 3 rooms for now so I think that works. 

Valued Contributor

You also have the option of using the Xfinity steam app on Roku devices (also built into some TVs).  They would just need a wireless Internet connection and would give you the same functionality as one of the Xi5 units without the monthly fees.  

Expert

@Ronny_Cordova wrote:

You also have the option of using the Xfinity steam app on Roku devices (also built into some TVs).  They would just need a wireless Internet connection and would give you the same functionality as one of the Xi5 units without the monthly fees.  

a bit of caution here... the no monthly fee for Roku only applies during the free public beta, and if you do not have a charge on your bill for HD technology fee $9.95 then the roku won't have HD on the cable channels. the Roku can only access the cloud DVR so it may have fewer recordings on it than an Xi5 set top box.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.