Community Forum

Will series priority carry over to a new box?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Will series priority carry over to a new box?

Its getting really frustrating have to reset my box everytime I want to watch a recording.  Nearly every day now.  When I go to watch a recording.  It'll become a stuck image.  That will stay on the screen during live tv, on demand, or trying to watch DVR.  Its a tv box it should just work.  This started happening around a year ago.  But it used to happen maybe once a week. Now its nearly every day. 

My series priority has around 70 shows on it. And really need this to carry over to a new box or back it up some how.

Thanks

Official Employee

Re: Will series priority carry over to a new box?

@Galvin wrote:

Its getting really frustrating have to reset my box everytime I want to watch a recording.  Nearly every day now.  When I go to watch a recording.  It'll become a stuck image.  That will stay on the screen during live tv, on demand, or trying to watch DVR.  Its a tv box it should just work.  This started happening around a year ago.  But it used to happen maybe once a week. Now its nearly every day. 

My series priority has around 70 shows on it. And really need this to carry over to a new box or back it up some how.

Thanks

All of that and your scheduled recordings are saved in the cloud and will be synced with the new DVR

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@Galvin wrote:

Thanks 

does the audio continue working when that happens? if you hit the xfinity button does the menu overlay the still picture? as an experiment when it is frozen unplug the HDMI connector from the TV input port for 30 seonds or so then plug back in. made it start working? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Swapped out the box for a new one.  But the audio kept playing as normal. Only the picture was frozen.

Expert

@Galvin wrote:

Swapped out the box for a new one.  But the audio kept playing as normal. Only the picture was frozen.

ok, that means the HDCP (HD content protection) system is turning off the video. Some TV's handle the cutoff differently but in this case the handshake that happens every so often between the source providing the video and the TV 'fails' and the stream is instantly 'revoked" (shut off) and the TV in this case holds/freezes the last image it had. HDCP is how the owners of a program protect their program from being copied in HD. The most likely issues are cable (weak or poor connections), receiver/sound bar equipment dropout (when the HDMI connector runs through them) or a failure (bad box or TV) of the devices carrying the signal. 

HDMI cables unless physically damaged are usually not themselves, but the connection at the HDMI port can cause the issue. to change the 'stress' at the connectors for testing and easy thing to do is reverse ends of the HDMI cable and while changing insert the end into and out of the HDMI socket 5 times or so to help clean/burnish the connection. then watch and see if the problem clears up. If not, then next step depends on how the set top box is connected. if direct to TV, then if you have another x1 set top box available swap it to the location being worked on and see if the problem goes away (or follows the 'old' box to its new location). If the set top box is connected to a sound bar or receiver then temporarily connect directly to the TV and see if the problem ends. Let us know.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.