Xfinity Community Forum

Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts
New to the Community? Start here.

Why is Picture Quality So Bad

Regular Contributor

Re: Why is Picture Quality So Bad

Thank you for feedback.However I didnt really understand the full concept of why comast picture is so bad.Its really too technical,all I know is I am unable to watch Comcasts signal.We canceled Comcast TV and we are now Streaming from various internet streaming tv services and I have to say the picture thru those services are so much clearer,sharper,colors really pop.We decided to pay for unlimited internet and although in the long run were paying a little more because of the 50 dollar Unlimited Internet Charge that Comcast decides to make us pay(like a ransome)to use this service.It worth it for me as I dont have to  constantly moniter are use,it was stressing me out.All this is worth being able to take full advantage of the best picture possible on my 4K TV,albeit that there arent too many 4K shows out yet but if I get a 1080 signal my TV does a good job upconverting.I just dont want the hassle of always having to adjust picture.

Expert

Re: Why is Picture Quality So Bad

@andyat1217 wrote:

Mine is more of a Comment than an auctual question as I have done research into this Bad Picture Quality issue with Comcast.I would like to share my issues and see how many others on Comcast have same issues.

Last week I decided to exchange my regular HD receiver/DVR for one of the x 1 4K boxes in order to be 4K ready and the extra benefit of of X1 having Netflix and You tube capabilities,instead of changing inputs constantly.Thought this would be easier .Netflix and you tube 4 K videos were quite good but not as good as directly from my Smart TV or my Roku.The other issues Ive been having is Comcast Picture quality on HD  channels have gotten so bad I could no longer watch,I had a tech come out he explained to me that the picture I am getting from Comcast seems washed out,because it is.Comcast downconverts its HD signals to 720 so even if you have a 4K TV and receiver, a 720 signal can never be upconverted to almost 4K.But a 1080 picture can.So as long as Comcast keeps downconverting their signal it really not worth upgrading to 4K anything if using Comcast.Now I am not saying what Tech said is true,just that he said it.How true it is will hopefully be discussed here.

Ive decided after a week of using new 4K receiver I am returning it back to Comcast and dropping my Cable Package for just an internet package /unlimited.And chosing to stream my TV ,which Picture quality is by far superior to Comcast.Yes  in the long run it is going to end up costing me about 15 dollars more for these different services,however I will be able to Utilize Roku more often and not worry about Internet usage.Right now I am just not capable of watching the terrible picture on Comcast..Of Course Comcast has got me over a barrel anyway as I have to purchase Unlimited Internet for an additional charge of 50 dollars a month as with 5 people in my house 1TB isnt enough,it takes us  about 5 days to go thru that.Has anyone decided to go the route I am doing,or have you been able to fix Comcast Picture issues.

re: internet first: unlimited option is available. sounds like it would be great for your household.

there are only 2 broadcsst HD formats in USA by the broadcast over the air networks. 720p (progressive) and 1080i (interlaced). Both are in mpeg2 part of the current over the air ATSC signal. there are sites that compare 720p and 1080i on google with full youtube comparison's side by side. All non-local must-carry over the air HD channels are received by Comcast in HEVC (sometimes called mpeg-G or mpeg5) and put out on linear channels in 720p60. because Comcast does not provide a native output (which would match whatever format the watched channel is carried) we have to pick one output. for non CRT (picture tube) televisions you should pick either 720p or 1080p (I use 720p). the TV then will upscale to match its own flat panel format of 1080p or better for 4k TVs. There are many customers on the forum that can help you set up the picture to look the best on your TV and if you have netflix there are 'test pattern' videos so you can adjust brightness, contrast, and sharpness to make the best picture settings.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Contributor

Why is Picture Quality So Bad

Mine is more of a Comment than an auctual question as I have done research into this Bad Picture Quality issue with Comcast.I would like to share my issues and see how many others on Comcast have same issues.

Last week I decided to exchange my regular HD receiver/DVR for one of the x 1 4K boxes in order to be 4K ready and the extra benefit of of X1 having Netflix and You tube capabilities,instead of changing inputs constantly.Thought this would be easier .Netflix and you tube 4 K videos were quite good but not as good as directly from my Smart TV or my Roku.The other issues Ive been having is Comcast Picture quality on HD  channels have gotten so bad I could no longer watch,I had a tech come out he explained to me that the picture I am getting from Comcast seems washed out,because it is.Comcast downconverts its HD signals to 720 so even if you have a 4K TV and receiver, a 720 signal can never be upconverted to almost 4K.But a 1080 picture can.So as long as Comcast keeps downconverting their signal it really not worth upgrading to 4K anything if using Comcast.Now I am not saying what Tech said is true,just that he said it.How true it is will hopefully be discussed here.

Ive decided after a week of using new 4K receiver I am returning it back to Comcast and dropping my Cable Package for just an internet package /unlimited.And chosing to stream my TV ,which Picture quality is by far superior to Comcast.Yes  in the long run it is going to end up costing me about 15 dollars more for these different services,however I will be able to Utilize Roku more often and not worry about Internet usage.Right now I am just not capable of watching the terrible picture on Comcast..Of Course Comcast has got me over a barrel anyway as I have to purchase Unlimited Internet for an additional charge of 50 dollars a month as with 5 people in my house 1TB isnt enough,it takes us  about 5 days to go thru that.Has anyone decided to go the route I am doing,or have you been able to fix Comcast Picture issues.