Community Forum

Why do I need to restart my X1 box to improve audio every other day?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Why do I need to restart my X1 box to improve audio every other day?

I am new to the X1 platform. Had it for over a month. So far I am not impressed. Keep having audio issues. A restart of the box seems to improve the problem. But I have to do it every other day. Is this normal? I've called Comcast and had two seperate service calls. The first tech seemed stumped and just changed the HDMI cable. Didn't help. The last service call was by the Technical supervisior in our area, but he did nothing but suggest that I need a new TV. If that's the case then why does the audio imrpove with a restart? And why do I keep having to do it every other day?

Thanks for any input.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why do I need to restart my X1 box to improve audio every other day?

What model TV and what model X1 box?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

My tv is an Insignia NS-32E321A13. I don't know the model of the settop box. But it's a DVR if that helps.

Silver Problem Solver

Did you try both HDMI inputs?  Did you check the tv's sound settings?  Are you leaving the X1 box on all the time?

https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-32E321A13/6266456

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Nemo1220, are you using a third party sound system like a sound bar or home theater? Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number so I can take a closer look. 

KenF

Contributor

The Comcast tech connected the HDMI cable to HDMI 2. At least that's what shows up on the screen. Otherwise I know nothing about it. The TV's sound setting is on theater. But none make any improvements. I'm not sure if I'm turning the box off. I hit the power button to turn tv on/off. I assume that turns the box off? How can I be sure if I'm turning the box off too?

Thank you

Official Employee

The Comcast tech connected the HDMI cable to HDMI 2. At least that's what shows up on the screen. Otherwise I know nothing about it. The TV's sound setting is on theater. But none make any improvements. I'm not sure if I'm turning the box off. I hit the power button to turn tv on/off. I assume that turns the box off? How can I be sure if I'm turning the box off too?

Thank you

Nemo1220, the X1 box doesn't actually turn "off". It can be put into a lower power state, but otherwise, it is always on. The only way to turn it off is to remove the power source. 

Contributor

I'll be getting a soundbar sometime next week. The Comcast technical supervisior told me last week that my tv's speakers were going bad. I have to take his word for it. Just as I had to take the word of a Comcast tech who said it was "ilegal" for me to record live tv with a VCR. I didn't believe that last, but agreed to a DVR since I wasn't in the mood to argue. Nor could I try to connect the VCR myself to the new settop box due to a broken arm.

Thanks for your time,

Expert

@Nemo1220 wrote:

I'll be getting a soundbar sometime next week. The Comcast technical supervisior told me last week that my tv's speakers were going bad. I have to take his word for it. Just as I had to take the word of a Comcast tech who said it was "ilegal" for me to record live tv with a VCR. I didn't believe that last, but agreed to a DVR since I wasn't in the mood to argue. Nor could I try to connect the VCR myself to the new settop box due to a broken arm.

Thanks for your time,

if you have a valid connector output of the set top box for the VCR (coax, composite yellow cable video and audio red/white) you can record. It isn't easy as you can only record what is on the TV itself at the time. be sure that powersave feature is off. 

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Thanks for your time,

OK let me know if you need anything else. 

KenF