Community Forum

Why did we lose channel 9 PBS KQED in the Vacaville area

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Re: Why did we lose channel 9 PBS KQED in the Vacaville area

time to look at other options

New Poster

We have lost KQED in Davis, CA also--no explanation given???

Silver Problem Solver

If you have another local PBS, they may have told Comcast they no longer want the competition, and Comcast is obligated, by law, to remove it from your lineup. With dwindling revenue, more and more stations are being VERY tough about competition, even amongst PBS stations.

New Poster

KQED Ch. 9 has been on the Comcast lineup for years in Vacaville and Davis. If it was an out-of-DMA station, why did they only now decide to drop it. Again, the question was "why?"  Comcast carries hundreds of channels of unwatchable junk, and they remove a PBS channel. Good grief. 

Silver Problem Solver

Stations have Defined Market Areas (DMA). It's possible KQED is outside your DMA. It looks like you are halfway between San Fransisco and Sacramento. Maybe you are actually in Sacramento's DMA (KVIE is the Sacramento PBS). Generally, Comcast cannot carry an out-of-DMA station, especially if you are in the DMA of a competing station.

New Poster

The Comcast official did not answer the question - why was KQED removed from our Comcast lineup. He just said they removed it. This should be addressed by Comcast leadership and the FCC. I pay too much for Comcast and they remove the PBS access I pay for. I only want 10 to 15 stations, but definitely the PBS ones. The question is WHY?
New Poster

I believe that this is a public access issue, having Comcast unilaterally deciding to drop Channel 9/KQED. We live in Solano County, which according to ABAG (Association of Bay Area Governments) is one of nine Bay Area counties. KQED Newsroom explores issues such as housing, land use, energy, water and other resources, transportation and other challenges important to our daily lives here. They provide a balanced assessment, as none of the other newsrooms due. Comcast has hundreds of channels. Why drop one channel such as Channel 9/KQED, which is so vital and important to Solano County residents? I want to know who made this decision on my behalf without taking into consideration the needs of local residents? I believe this is a violation of public access to information and I have issued a complaint with the FCC.

Official Employee

Sorry, Erie was a notice included in your January billing statement that KQED SD, HD and World will no longer be available as of March 1

New Poster

Why did we lose channel 9 PBS KQED in the Vacaville area

Channel 9 KQED has been taken off and we cannot access it. 

Did you remove it or move it to another location?