Community Forum

Why can't recorded DVR content by downloaded?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Why can't recorded DVR content by downloaded?

I don't use an iPad or an Android device. I do have several devices that are now running Windows 10.

Why can we not download recorded content from the "cloud DVR" to laptops/tablets via a browser, or better yet...how about a native Windows app???
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why can't recorded DVR content by downloaded?

The files cannot be downloaded most likely due to copyright restrictions.

You can play the recordings onto another device and do whatever you want with them.

Gold Problem Solver

SkyhawkDriver wrote:
I don't use an iPad or an Android device. I do have several devices that are now running Windows 10.

Why can we not download recorded content from the "cloud DVR" to laptops/tablets via a browser, or better yet...how about a native Windows app???

Since I know you have the X1 systen, IF your market has cloud enabled ( most do not ), IF cloud is enabled and you have accepted the Terms & Conditions ( big clue there if it is available )... you can visit xtv.comcast.net and you can PLAY cloud recorded assets using your laptop/desktop...  you cannot download, but you can stream the recording...  I am in a cloud enabled market ( had to wait over a year from its frist announcement ) and use it offten... especially at work on my lunch hour!

Problem Solver

I believe the OP is really just asking why he can't download recordings to a windows based laptop or tablet.  I think he already understands that he can stream recorded content through the browser, but is out of luck if he wants to watch his recorded content when internet is not available (which you can do on an Apple or Android device by downloading the recordings).

The bottom line is Comcast has so far decided to not support Windows apps, maybe because the market is small or they are just plain lazy.  Others have asked on these forums when will Comcast create a Windows Xfinity TV app, and it seems like the question has fallen on deaf ears.

Why is it that I can download recordings to my Android or Apple smartphones and tablets, yet can't perform a download to a Windows laptop, so I can watch it when there is no internet available? Obviously it seems like it can't be a copyright issue since I can do it on 1 device but not another.

geek46 wrote:

Since I know you have the X1 systen, IF your market has cloud enabled ( most do not ), IF cloud is enabled and you have accepted the Terms & Conditions ( big clue there if it is available )... you can visit xtv.comcast.net and you can PLAY cloud recorded assets using your laptop/desktop...  you cannot download, but you can stream the recording...  I am in a cloud enabled market ( had to wait over a year from its frist announcement ) and use it offten... especially at work on my lunch hour!

Regular Contributor

Yup, I realize I can stream recorded content when I have an internet connection, but was indeed asking about being able to download and view content when offline.

Windows is still the platform with the most users worldwide, and it seems like laziness not to at least support viewing offline in a browser.
Gold Problem Solver

SkyhawkDriver wrote: ... running Windows 10. ... Why can we not download recorded content from the "cloud DVR" to laptops/tablets via a browser, or better yet...how about a native Windows app???

I know of no authoritative answer to this, and I'll be astonished if Comcast provides one, but my guess is that the content owners consider their material to be more secure on a IOS or Android device that it is on a more general purpose Windows device. And/or, they want more money.

Gold Problem Solver

BruceW wrote:

I know of no authoritative answer to this, and I'll be astonished if Comcast provides one, but my guess is that the content owners consider their material to be more secure on a IOS or Android device that it is on a more general purpose Windows device. And/or, they want more money.

My wish is that Comcast would actually come right out and state "WHY" a laptop is not considered "safe" !!!!

Silver Problem Solver

With a laptop or other computer you can burn, convert, share and copy. Very hard to do those things on an ios or android device.

Regular Contributor

With DRM and other protection, none of that should be an issue. Of course barbie123 just reiterated my reasons why I use a Microsoft Surface and an ultrabook, rather than those other devices.
Frequent Visitor

It has been several YEARS since this question was asked.  My mobile device runs Windows and Comcast should provide the functionality to these mobile devices AS ADVERTISED!!