Community Forum

Why can't I watch Sunday (day) NFL games live online?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Why can't I watch Sunday (day) NFL games live online?

When I log into Xfinity Online and go to live TV the only networks I can watch are extended cable options like CNN, ESPN or Fox Business. Local Fox, CBS, ABC are not options so I can't watch a live NFL Sunday day game even though it's on "free" local TV. Yet, when I click on "live" options on Sunday evening -- BOOM the first option that pops up is Sunday Night Football? Is this a contractual thing with CBS, Fox, ABC, etc?  Why would they care as long as I am logged into local Comcast and watching ALL their commercials? Does not make sense to me.

Re: Why can't I watch Sunday (day) NFL games live online?

I am having the same problem.I just do not understand why if we are willing to watch all of the commercials that pay for the broadcast, we should not be allowed to see the program.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why can't I watch Sunday (day) NFL games live online?

It's all about rights and $$$. Comcast has to make additional agreements with local stations to add streaming. It's usually not part of their normal agreements with stations, unless it's a very recent contract. Even then, many local stations may not want to allow it, or are just asking for too much money to make it profitable for Comcast. As it is, local broadcast costs are exploding, which is why Comcast hides it under a separate fee. You may be angry about it, but I doubt Comcast is really making that much extra profit, if any, on the increases. It really is that bad.

Further, sports adds yet another wrench into the works. The NFL/MLB/NHL/NBA agreements with the networks and stations may require special language or additional fees for it to air on anything other than antenna/cable/satellite. Look at the issues people with the new Direct TV Now are having with blackouts.