Community Forum

Why am I being bombarded with ads on the Comcast websites

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Why am I being bombarded with ads on the Comcast websites

I expect to be bombarded with ads when using a free service or application; that's the 'price' one pays in exchange for free services. Naturally, nothing is ever truly free. A website like Pandora provides streaming music to me that is paid for by advertisers who get to slip in a commercial that I have to listen to every few songs. I can upgrade to a paid Pandora  account if I want. What do I get for my paid subscription that I don't get with the free one? An Ad-free version of the same service (along with a few other perks).

Now I pay a TON of money for my internet and cable TV. It's bad enough that I still have to sit through commercials while watching TV channels that I pay for (it's really outrageous if you think about it), but I notice that while logging into the comcast.net website and navigating to my email page that I encounter ad after ad, flashing deceptive promises and 'free' credit checks. All designed to separate me from my money. Comcast doesn't even seem to filter the ads that I am exposed to (anyone who has tried the 'free' credit check offer knows how deceptive and conniving these companies can be) so that I am at least seeing ads for things that might be beneficial to ME.

If I am forced to scroll through scam-artist advertisements, then I think I should have my monthly service charges reduced...offset by the amount Comcast is paid by these crooks. One can only hope there aren't other incentives offered, such as kickbacks to comcast for every Comcast-referred sucker that is duped by one of these dishonest advertisers.....but I vent. Really though, what happened to decency, integrity, and respect for ones fellow human beings. Money isn't everything. It isn't even close.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Why am I being bombarded with ads on the Comcast websites

I agree with where you are coming from.

I installed Firefox with the add ons, AdBlock plus, No script, Ghostery, and Better privacy.

That stops just about every ad, tracking cookie ect; that you could name, wherever I browse. I only allow what I want to allow.

I know thats not exactly your point and that the adds shouldn't be there in the first place, but it is a way around that.

Frequent Visitor

I hate the comcast web page.  I refuse to watch any videos because I have tio watch video commercials, first.  It's all about money, not the customer. And I see there's nowhere to voice your opinions to them, they don't want to hear from us.

Silver Problem Solver

Well you could navigate to the Customer Service forum and express your concern there.  This is pretty much a help forum where customers post questions and other customers provide assistance.

There is also the community Forum where you can express your views.

Frequent Visitor

it does no good to complain to other customers.  And the support sites are just local comcast assistants that help with service problems, they have nothing to do with the formats.

Regular Contributor

And of course, if you would think CC would use all this subscriber and ad revenue to improve service, you would be wrong. Look at the multi billion $ acquisition of NBC to see where their priorities are. And as reported on the Daily Show, an official with the FCC that approved the acquisition has now been hired as a CC executive. Good to see our money is being used to support effective competition and regulation.

New Poster

I too have floating adds appear on the left side of my screen on the IE8 home page and on my email.  It is quite bothersome when I try to select something and this add suddenly pops up just as I am clicking on what I want to select.  I have written to comcast to ask why this is happening.  Being as I/we are paying for this service, I do not appreciate these or any adds popping up.  As of yet, I have not received an answer back from CC.

Contributor

Now there is ads on the music channels.  So much for comcast having any class what so ever.  There is nothing like trying to sleep to motzard, and then having a brilliantly flashed UFC ad show up.  Genius guys.

New Poster

I totally agree. this is a recent problem...I think the fair and mutually advantageous solution would be for comcast to drop pandora, and upgrade the selection and sound quality of the digital music channels... I must admit that pandora's sound quality is excellent.    I also pay a top rate, and find equally aggravating that I now have to pay for movies and shows that I used to watch for free

Contributor

The website is there to generate revenue for Comcast, not to provide value to the end user. The newly redisigned TV portal makes that abundantly clear. If the site was upgraded to provide more value to the customers it would not be missing multiple features that were working last week. If Comcast actually believed the new site was better, there would have been a press release explaining the new features and why they are an improvement over the old site.

Contributor

Go to https://www.admuncher.com/  and get what I consider the best ad blocker ever. It is now free. I paid 29.95 for it back in 2003 and still use it today.

Official Employee

5 year old thread closed