Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Which DVR box is the best?

Frequent Visitor

Which DVR box is the best?

So I have the Pace px013anm box. The picture quality is not good, it is fuzzy and very disappointing when compared to casting things like HBO go or Netflix. Almost like there is a thin piece of plastic over the screen.

I've read a lot of reviews online of this box and have seen this mentioned by others. My signal is apparently fine, has to be the box.

The non DVR box that I have is the Pace px032ani and it has an awful picture, worse than the other.

Both are set to 1080p60, but it looks to be more like sd.

Any recommendations on a different box? And if so, any advice on how to get them? The service centers don't exactly have the greatest employees working in them and they have never let me choose what box I would prefer in the past. And I know I can't call about this because no one speaks English there.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Which DVR box is the best?

If there is any differences in picture quality between the X1 DVRs they are incredibly minor.

Please keep mins that most of today's TV sets allow you to have different picture settings for each input.

Personally I think the issue you are having is picture settings on your TV.
Frequent Visitor

No, not the tv. Not the coax or hdmi cables. Comcast tech's say the signal is good. I've tried everything. I've taken the tv and tried it on other cable boxes and the picture is incredible on a 1080i charter box. Picture is amazing with a 1080p bluray source or Chromecast, 2160p 4k bluray movies and roku 4 provide the incredible picture that they should. There shouldn't be a major difference in between the 1080p Chromecast picture and the 1080p60 x1 picture, but there is. It's not rocket science, everything points to the box being the issue.
Gold Problem Solver

No cable box and cable signal can match either 4k or 1080p Blu-ray. Same is true for 4k streaming.

The X1 boxes are taking 720p or 1080i broadcasts and up scaling to a maximum of 1080p. But remember Blu-ray is much less compressed than cable TV is. Quite frankly it is not apples to apples.

I think you missed my point about TV settings. I suggest you learn more about the attributes and qualities of the different sources. Also you might want to adjust your expectations from cable TV.

If you really want to know how cable TVs picture quality compares, install an antenna on your TV and compare the antenna to cable. That is a more realistic and valid comparison.

Gold Problem Solver

Not to brag but I have been in the audio/video industry for over 38 years. Also, I recently purchased a 65" LG OLED TV (currently the best TV on the market) which I sit roughly 8.5 feet away from. I am able to see things in regards to TV picture quality that very few people can see. I have a pretty good idea how to adjust a TV to achieve the best picture.

If you have any questions about this, feel free to send me a private message and I will help you with it.

bbass01 wrote:
No, not the tv. Not the coax or hdmi cables. Comcast tech's say the signal is good. I've tried everything. I've taken the tv and tried it on other cable boxes and the picture is incredible on a 1080i charter box. Picture is amazing with a 1080p bluray source or Chromecast, 2160p 4k bluray movies and roku 4 provide the incredible picture that they should. There shouldn't be a major difference in between the 1080p Chromecast picture and the 1080p60 x1 picture, but there is. It's not rocket science, everything points to the box being the issue.

Regular Contributor

TIVO

Expert

RoVi (provider of the channel guide data for comcast and many others) bought TiVo for the remaining patents TiVo owns and have not expired. Several articles on the web have pointed out that RoVi is not interested in selling hardware at all preferring to sell the guide info to other parties. TiVo hardware itself is probably at end of life development with the 4 tuner Bolt that requires a cable card.

Comcast's future is migrating to IP delivery as opposed to cablecard QAM delivered content for TV.

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

RoVi (provider of the channel guide data for comcast and many others) bought TiVo for the remaining patents TiVo owns and have not expired. Several articles on the web have pointed out that RoVi is not interested in selling hardware at all preferring to sell the guide info to other parties. TiVo hardware itself is probably at end of life development with the 4 tuner Bolt that requires a cable card.

Comcast's future is migrating to IP delivery as opposed to cablecard QAM delivered content for TV.

Rusty, what does that mean to TiVo users?  

Frequent Visitor

I totally understand what you are saying, but the fact remains that I can send a signal to this same tv with the same settings (on the tv) and same hdmi cable using a box supplied by charter cable in another home and get a significantly better picture than with my x1.

I'm considering ditching the x1 to go back to the old Motorola box (or whatever comcast currently offers) that I had before I got this one. It definitely had a better picture on an older tv. Can't get much worse.
Gold Problem Solver

I am sorry but I don't agree. There is a large piece to the puzzle missing here.

I do not believe that with all things being equal, a Charter box would offer noticeably better picture. If that were true, MANY more people would have mentioned it in this forum...

bbass01 wrote:
I totally understand what you are saying, but the fact remains that I can send a signal to this same tv with the same settings (on the tv) and same hdmi cable using a box supplied by charter cable in another home and get a significantly better picture than with my x1.

I'm considering ditching the x1 to go back to the old Motorola box (or whatever comcast currently offers) that I had before I got this one. It definitely had a better picture on an older tv. Can't get much worse.

Expert

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

eventual EOL of the equipment perhaps a partner equipment discount later.

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

eventual EOL of the equipment perhaps a partner equipment discount later.

Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Regular Contributor

Hello bbass01,

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. If you decide to swap out your X1 box, you can pick up your equipment at any local service center in your area. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please let us know.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I agree.. I too recently recieved the Pace box and notice a considerable difference in picure quality at 1080P

New Poster

I have similar setup with the same tv and px013anm set top box. The tv is not as sharp as blu-ray's signal. Any suggestions to the settings of the tv to get the better picture.  Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

As previously mentioned in this forum, no cable box or cable system can match Blu-ray. It is not an apples to apples comparison.