Community Forum

Weird sound and video problems still with the Netflix app

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Re: Weird sound and video problems still with the Netflix app

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@Flyinion wrote:

Tech came out today.  No signal issues to the box or the router.  Said there has been a known issue with Netflix and it's the likely problem.  He took some video of the sound/video issues to send to an engineer he was chatting with and they're going to try to re-create it on their end.  He said there's nothing wrong with the box that he can see and a new box would most likely still have the problem.

The Neflix app used with Comcast Equipment us most likely different from the Netflix app supplied and used on "smart televisions". So I would be willing to believe Netflix is part of the problem.

People with smart televisions generally stick to using Netflix app found on their television which come off the Internet directly to their television. Comcast equipment does not come into play this way.

My understanding is it's an issue with the app on the Comcast boxes.  Some sort of bug going on (we didn't have this problem just a few months ago).  Yeah for now I'm using the app on my 4K player, my TV is a 2013 Panasonic plasma and hasn't had an update in like 2+ years.  The Netflix app on it is horribly out of date.  The bonus to using the one on the DVR is the integration with the seach function in the main DVR menu where it can show Netflix items in the search results and not just standard live TV and On Demand content.

Expert

@Flyinion wrote:

Tech came out today.  No signal issues to the box or the router.  Said there has been a known issue with Netflix and it's the likely problem.  He took some video of the sound/video issues to send to an engineer he was chatting with and they're going to try to re-create it on their end.  He said there's nothing wrong with the box that he can see and a new box would most likely still have the problem.

The Neflix app used with Comcast Equipment us most likely different from the Netflix app supplied and used on "smart televisions". So I would be willing to believe Netflix is part of the problem.

People with smart televisions generally stick to using Netflix app found on their television which come off the Internet directly to their television. Comcast equipment does not come into play this way.

Contributor

Official Employee

Hello Flyinion. I can assist in getting an Advanced Repair ticket opened for you so our team can look into getting this X1 Netflix App issue fixed for you. Please send me a private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can assist you. 

Silver Problem Solver

@Flyinion wrote:

Really?  No ideas on this at all?  At this point I've completely given up on using Netflix via the DVR app.  Not only do I stil l have the original problem from a few weeks ago but now there's these new problems making the experience even worse.  You guys might as well just delete the app from the boxes until you figure this out.  From the looks of it I'm not the only  one with issues with it.

You are correct; several users have the issue., but there are others like me who do not have the issue.  Strange.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Really?  No ideas on this at all?  At this point I've completely given up on using Netflix via the DVR app.  Not only do I stil l have the original problem from a few weeks ago but now there's these new problems making the experience even worse.  You guys might as well just delete the app from the boxes until you figure this out.  From the looks of it I'm not the only  one with issues with it.

Contributor

Not sure if this will help at all.  Was watching old Star Trek Next Generation season 1 episodes on Netflix (seems to be remastered and has a 5.1 sound track now).  Through the DVR I saw some stuttery picture and assumed it was missing frames of the film when they did the transfer but it started happening more than usual compared to other episodes.   

Went and fired up my Sony X800 4K player and played the same scene on that.  Silky smooth no stutters or "missing frames".  Then I did a speed test in the Netflx app on the X800 and the DVR.  The DVR was only around 25Mbps, the X800 was 4.5 times faster at 112+. 

I would think 25Mbps would be plenty for that content though so I'm guessing it's just something with the app in general or the DVR software itself in recent updates.  What good is having Netflix integrated into the DVR with search/etc. if it can't actually function properly?

Contributor

Weird sound and video problems still with the Netflix app

A while back I posted about having issues with the Netflix app being slow to start playing content in general and anytime there was a 5.1 audio track taking 4-5 seconds or more after video starts to start playing audio.  I think some kind of bugs have been introduced in the latest versions of the app/DVR software because we've had problems where the Netflix profile select screen is stuck on display.  Like you can choose a profile and then choose your content and when it starts playing you see only the profile select screen (but it's not actually functioning it's just a stuck image).  If you exit out of netflix you still see that instead of whatever channel. 

We rebooted our DVR after that happened once today, then a few hours later after watching some Netflix my wife exited the app and NO channels had any sound at all until a reboot.  I've occasionally noticed after either Netflix or waching a DVR recording (I wasn't really tracking so not sure which exactly) that afterword whatever live channel was on had no sound and switching to another channel sound would be fine and the original channel would get sound back after a little bit.  The whole no sound at all is new though.

Connection is Comcast DVR (Arris box only about 8 months old) to a Marantz NR-1606 AVR to a Panasonic VT60 series TV.  HDMI connections are Monoprice Select Metallic Series high speed HDMI 4k@24Hz 10.2Gbps cables.