Community Forum

Way Too Many Commercials

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Way Too Many Commercials

Is it really necessary to force me to watch 10 minutes of commercials during a 45 minute TV Show? Even commercials during MOVIES... this is getting rediculous...I understand you have to add SOME for revenue etc. but this gets to the point where i start a tv show and just close it 10 minutes later because there is literally a commercial every 5 minutes......

Tags (1)
Frequent Visitor

Re: Way Too Many Commercials

it is rapidly becoming impossible to watch any show. i like to try and catch up on shows at lunch...no such luck today. I gave up when the same commercial for The Mentalist aired for the 12th time in a row. Plus, the commericials are 20x louder than the shows, I think my ear is bleeding.

New Poster

Comcast TV:

• Why am I paying to watch commercials every 5 minutes? A movie that is 1.5 hour in length takes over 2 hours because of the commercials.

• Why is my bill so high? Aren't the commercial people paying enough?

Comcast must be making a fortune between me and the commercial people paying them.

• I'm tired of the pop ups on the screen while I'm watching a program. Half the time I can't see 1/3 of the screen because they want to remind me of some other program.

Give me a break. I know how to use the guide to find out what's coming on!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Comcast just retransmits what it receives from the networks. Your beef is with them.

New Poster

Yes Comcast just retransmits, but using on demand at least you can fast forward.  We should be paid for watching them. 

Regular Visitor

We need to boycott comcast. We are paying entirely too much for cable T.V. and then have to watch those intelligence insulting ads. Where is there a websit to boycott comcast. If everyone would participate we could SHUT this down. Just like Chick-Fil-A did the gays !!! Time to rethink comcast ----this is a ripoff PERIOD. I am sick of your excrements  fella's. EXCREMENTS comcast, thats all you are. That clean enough you ...EXCREMENTS..

New Poster

I have been sitting here trying to watch the last TEN minutes of my show that is only 45min long and I have had to watch the same commercials over and over for the last 15 MINUTES THIS IS SUPER FREAKING CRAZY  this is pathetic

Regular Visitor

Time to band together and shut the EXCREMENT comcrud, DOWN !!! They are the worst business entity in the USA. Let's all get together and tell comcrud to go to Hades !!!

New Poster

10 Minutes. You got by with ONLY 10 Minutes of Commercials? WoW. You got lucky.

New Poster

You can't fast forward though the commercials. Only the show.

Regular Contributor

Without knowing what movie or TV show you are watching it's really hard to comment but this morning I watched this weeks episode of Major Crimes through the streaming service. As you watch any show or movie there's a progress bar at the bottom of the player which is visible when you hover the mouse cursor over it, where commercial breaks should happen are clearly marked by dots along the progress bars line. In the case of Major Crimes there were clearly 4 breaks marked, I made notes as the episode played and those commercial breaks took place at 19:53, 27:50, 38:40 and 44:30 but please note that the last commercial break was at the end of the show and before the ending credits. I only thought to get out my phone and use the stop watch during the last two sets of commercials and in those cases the third commercial break was 4:30 and the fourth 4:40 and I'm going to bet that the first two commercial breaks were in line time wise with the 3rd and 4th breaks and were in the area of 4-5 minutes.

So when you say "but this gets to the point where i start a tv show and just close it 10 minutes later because there is literally a commercial every 5 minutes" are you saying that commercials are starting at non-designated points every 5 minutes during playback?

There is no doubt that there are some bugs in the XFinity streaming service and particularly with advertisements but generally you have the option (in all but a very few cases) to go directly to the networks own web site and try and watch from there. Usually people who are experiencing problems with the XFinity system don't have the same issues on the networks site.

While no one likes commercials they are a part of watching TV, no matter if you are actually watching your TV with a cable box or streaming to your computer there are going to be commercials. However if you are experiencing commercials at non-designated times during playback and those commercial breaks last more than 5 minutes or loop multiple times then that is a bug in the system and needs to be reported. Please note that there is a sticky thread at the beginning of this forum http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-Website/Ad-Issue-during-Video-Playback-on-http-xfinitytv-comc... that is specifically for people with advertising issues during playback and I would suggest that you read the first post and reply with the requested information and if you don't receive a response in a reasonable time then send a private message to one of the Comcast people who posts here.

- Norm

Regular Contributor

ConcernedConsum:

In regards to "Why am I paying to watch commercials every 5 minutes? A movie that is 1.5 hour in length takes over 2 hours because of the commercials" when you play a TV show or movie there's a progress bar visible at the bottom of the player when you hover the mouse cursor over it; on the progress bar there should be clearly marked commercial breaks. When you say that you are getting commercials every 5 minutes are you saying that commercials are starting at non-designated times as the show plays?

I myself have been frustrated with the cost of my bill and how it seems to go up a $1 here and there once or twice a year but if you are serious about doing something about it then you're going to have to complain and keep complaining to the proper authorities. The three places that I can think to complain to are: your local franchise authority which can be found on your Comcast bill; your states consumer protection agency, the FCC and your elected officials.

In regards to "I'm tired of the pop ups on the screen while I'm watching a program. Half the time I can't see 1/3 of the screen because they want to remind me of some other program" this is not normal behavior and windows popping up on top of your browser window generally mean you have a virus or malware on your computer and that may in fact be the cause of some of your problems and not Comcast. I would suggest that you first do a full system / in depth virus scan with whatever anti-virus you happen to have; if you are using the free Constant Guard from Comcast that software is next to useless and I suggest you go online and buy the ESet antivirus and remove Constant Guard and install ESet. There are several free anti-malware programs available, try downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot Search and Destroy and scanning with those. Please be aware that these anti-malware programs are NOT a replacement for anti-virus software but just an additional layer of protection.

- Norm

Contributor

wrong, comcast picks and chooses when and how many commercials you see on the XFINITY streaming service...

Regular Contributor

Please explain that in more detail; in every show or movie I watch the progress bar that appears when I hover the mouse cursor over it has a series of dots on the line that clearly mark where commercial breaks will take place. For example, I'm watching Major Crimes and there are four commercial breaks clearly marked and I made notes as I watched and those breaks took place at 19:53, 27:50, 38:40 and 44:40 exactly where they were marked; I only took out my phone and used the stop watch to time the last two breaks but the third breaks had 4:30 of commercials and the fourth break 4:40. Of course movies and shows that appear on networks like HBO and Showtime don't have commercials because they are pay only.

I haven't noticed any program that I've watched where it seems like commercials are starting at non-designated points. But there are so many people complaining about that problem here that I'm sure that it's happening. But why it's happening to some people and not others is a mystery. The only thing I can think of is that it's a regional problem, there seems to be some evidence that the streaming and advertising servers are different for each region but there's no documentation on what a "region" is. If a region is a state, or if there are multiple regions in a state depending on population density.

- Norm

New Poster

I find it hard to believe that it is entirely the network to blame for all the commercials. For example, Fox has it's own app. I can watch Fox programming with fewer commercial breaks on the Fox app than with the Xfinity app. I would guess there is at least a 50% reduction. The breaks are less freaquent and the breaks last about a minute. Xfinity shows have 2-3 minute commercial breaks every 5-10 minutes. When you consider the cost of comcast vs hulu and netflix, there should be zero commercial interuptions.  The network may determine what commercials are pushed, but comcast must have some control over this.

Regular Visitor

SCREW TO THE DEATH COMCAST....THE sorry INBREDS, yes I said mother Fudging INBREDS need to DIE. The comcast company needs to be put down being the worst business intitiy in the USA. They regularly practice sodomy on the customers and then lick each others member to clean it up !!!!