Community Forum

Volume issue on X1 with HD TV and Vizio Soundbar

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

Volume issue on X1 with HD TV and Vizio Soundbar

This started when we first got Xfinity back in August 2015.  I just never acted on it, though I did poke around the net looking for answers, nothing has happened.

We have a 55" Hisense HD TV, 1080, etc.  with a 32" Vizio sound bar connected via optical cable.  We have set the TV to use the vizio only.

The issue is that when you turn the TV on, there is no volume.  Even if you had the volume cranked, when you turn it on, there is no sound.  You have to hit the volume up or down for a couple seconds to get the sound.  My habit now is to just hold the volume button down until 0 is displayed, then slow raise it.  

The question is how to get it to just have volume on when I turn the TV on?  Note that I have not tested it without the soundbar, but I might do that tonight.

Official Employee

Re: Volume issue on X1 with HD TV and Vizio Soundbar

Hello EaglesRidge, please try testing your sound without the sound bar connected. If you get the same results feel free to reach back out to me here and I can assist you with troubleshooting the issue. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Tried it last night, selecting tv speakers insted of aux and had the same issue.  I will try now and physically disconnect the soundbar

Contributor

So, I just tried it just by turning on tv, same issue.  I turned off the tv, then I unplugged the soundbar.  I turned on the tv, same issue.  I selected the settings with the tv remote and selected tv speakers.  I turned off the tv, then turned on again. same thing.  no volume.  So, pressed volumen down once, nothing.  volumen up once, nothing, volumen up about 3 times and I could faintly hear something, then up more and it increased.  I do know that this tv had a very broad range on the volume.  Once the volume was adjusted, I turned off the tv.  Turned it back on, and the volume was fine.  I will try again a little while, thinking this might be similar to a screensave or time-out issue.

New Poster

I'm having a similar issue except my X1 remote is able to control the my Vizio Sound Bar volume but my Vizio TV isn't switching over to Vizio Sound Bar volume; it just keeps using the Vizio TV default volume.

Any fixes to this?

Highlighted
Expert

@LGlikeYEE wrote:

I'm having a similar issue except my X1 remote is able to control the my Vizio Sound Bar volume but my Vizio TV isn't switching over to Vizio Sound Bar volume; it just keeps using the Vizio TV default volume.

Any fixes to this? 

using your TV's Vizio remore, mute the sound or turn it all the way down. using the Xfinity remote adjust the sound bar. does the TV speaker volume stay off while the sound bar is being adjusted?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Using your Visio remote, either turn off tv speakers or set to external, if your tv has those settings. Or try differerent Xfinity Remote codes

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@LGlikeYEE wrote:

Any fixes to this?

Assuming your soundbar is connected via optical cable, you need to go to the <Viziotv Rmt> setting on your soundbar's remote control and set it to On, which will allow your TV's remote control to change the soundbar volume, and disable the TV speakers from your TV' and changing digital audio type from PCM to Bitstream by going to Settings | Audio.

Or, just connect the soundbar to the TV using the HDMI-ARC connection and enable CEC/ARC-Only on your TV"s menu settings. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks everyone! Turns out my Soundbar's optical cable is damaged and that's why it wasn't working.