Community Forum

Video On Demand Crashing Cable Box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

Video On Demand Crashing Cable Box

Hello,

I am having a real frustrating issue with on-demand shows. My cable box is a Cisco RNG-100. Whenever I order anything on-demand, be it a tv series show, or movie (paid or free) the show will start playing, and then after a few moments the picture suddenly distors, the cable box shuts down and there's snow on the TV for about 30 seconds, then the box goes through the boot up process like it was just plugged in. 

I chatted with support, and they told me it's probably the box.. rather than wait on a tech, I asked if the service center would be open saturday regular hours, they assured me it would be from 8-5, and it'd also be open Monday (Jan 2nd) regular hours. Of course, when I arrived at 3:15pm, there was a sign on the door saying they'd closed early (3:00pm) for new years eve, and are closed until Tuesday. 

The whole reason I'm paying the extra $30 per month for digial tv is for the on-demand, and now due to thier mis-information I've been stuck without on-demand all last week, and am stuck until Tuesday. My question is, has anyone else experienced this issue, and is it indeed the box, or is there something I can do to make it work (I've tried unplugging it, waiting a minute, plugging it back in - still crashes) or some reset signal tech support can send the box to make it work right? My comcast internet works fine... it's just the on-demand that's messing up. 

I really don't have time to dedicate my life to trying to fix Comcast equipment - if swapping the box out on Tuesday doesn't work, I think it's time to take my business to AT&T U-Verse. (my neighbor has that, and his works perfectly..). Hoepfully they'll give me some kind of service credit for the time I've wasted so far on this :-( 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Video On Demand Crashing Cable Box

Being a customer like you I can tell you the following

It sounds like a bad box, there is a software patch rolling out to the SA cisco Community now through the first half of the year that might fix that issue.  If you have always had that issue this might help.  if this is new to you did you just get the updated guide software? If not and its new you might have a signal issue and need a tech visit. 

Also you do not pay for on demand in comcast world it is free, but you have to have a certain package level to get it so even though you are without it you will not get a credit for time without it because to comcast it has no monitary value its just included free with certain packages. 

If none of that works and you call comcast for a box refresh and you get  tech out and it still doesnt work you know what to do.

New Poster

Well, I had another box before this one about three weeks ago (same model) and on-demand worked fine. Then the box thought it was de-activated. When I called in, they tried sending an activation signal to it - it didn't activate. So they said swap the box. After swapping the box, and the new box not activating, I learned it was actually a problem on comcast's end sending activation signals. Later that night, they were able to activate the new box (which, it turns out, I didn't need to swap because it was thier problem all along) - anywanys, it's this new box that's crashing with the on-demand shows. 

I know on-demand is free - but my point is, basic cable is offered free where I live. The reason *I* pay for the digital starter package is to access the on-demand content - if that's not going to work, then I'm not going to pay them for it - I'll just return the box and go back to the basic free cable and find some other way to watch shows on-demand (like netflix or something..). 

Silver Problem Solver

advice?  Wait till Tuesday when comcast has its regular staff back in.  Calll in don't do it early the whole country is going to be calling about something.  ask them to make sure you current box serial number and mac address is coded to your account and that your account is set up for on demand.  if they don't provision it right your going to get nothing, and there is nothing you can do at that point as they are where it originates.