Community Forum

Using a Magnavox DVR MDR867H/F7 instead of Comcast DVR

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Using a Magnavox DVR MDR867H/F7 instead of Comcast DVR

2 Year Old Thread being Closed.

Regular Contributor

Burning to DVD is SO 2006!

Definitely get a TiVo.

If you're capable at all, you can get the Roamio OTA and convert it to CableCard use and not have to pay a subscription fee to TiVo.  Your cable bill should go down, too.

Then, you can easily transfer shows off of the TiVo, save them to a hardrive somewhere, and easily play them with one of the MANY Kodi hardware choices.  Since they're HD, you might could also burn them to Blu-Ray if you're so inclined. 

-KP

New Poster

This is a unit for those of us who got rid of cable TV when Comcast encrypted all the channels.  It's the only form of DVR I've ever had and I love it.  It's been discontinued and no one else makes a device like this, so I'll be very sad when mine breaks.

Silver Problem Solver

You can purchase a lifetime subscription to Tivo. I have 2, and pay no monthly fee to them.

Tivos pay for themselves in a couple of years.

Regular Visitor

Tivo requires a monthly subscription.  I was trying to avoid more costs.  Guess I'll be posting for sale on Craigslist.

Silver Problem Solver

That unit is not a cablecard device, and will be of little use with Comcast.

You can record OTA using an antenna.

Or you can record the output from the cablebox. It will not be able to scan for cable channels.

You will have to leave the cablebox on the channel you want to record.

You should have bought a Tivo.

Regular Visitor

Using a Magnavox DVR MDR867H/F7 instead of Comcast DVR

I just purchased this Magnavox DVR with dual tuner and 1TB HDD, so I could record programs, keep them without a space limit, and burn to DVD.  The channel scan for my DVR results in no channels found.  I've tried connecting through both a Comcast DVR and a Comcast digital box, with the same results.  The setup is as shown in the guide from Magnavox, with the exception of the HDMI on my DVR routed to my Denon AV receiver instead of the TV.  TV is connected to the receiver as the monitor.  Can anyone help?