Community Forum

Unable to cast DVR'd programs

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Unable to cast DVR'd programs

I purchased the latest Chromecast device with the intention of using it to cast programs I had recorded on my home Comcast DVR to a TV in a vacation home. Comcast gives me the message 'security protocols required by our network partners you can enjoy this video on your mobile device only' when trying to cast.  I get that you likely want me to purchase additional services.  However, this is my data which I recorded using a 'paid for' service and I should be able to view it on the device I choose.  This is no different than you restricting me from connecting an external speaker via the headphone jack to listen to a music channel.  Any chance you are planning a fix for this problem?
Thanks.
Official Employee

Re: Unable to cast DVR'd programs

mpt1123 wrote:
I purchased the latest Chromecast device with the intention of using it to cast programs I had recorded on my home Comcast DVR to a TV in a vacation home. Comcast gives me the message 'security protocols required by our network partners you can enjoy this video on your mobile device only' when trying to cast.  I get that you likely want me to purchase additional services.  However, this is my data which I recorded using a 'paid for' service and I should be able to view it on the device I choose.  This is no different than you restricting me from connecting an external speaker via the headphone jack to listen to a music channel.  Any chance you are planning a fix for this problem?
Thanks.

Probably not as you stated it is part of the "security protocols required by our network partners" . There are no additional services to be purchased.

Frequent Visitor

Hello:

Can you expand on which 'network partners' are not allowing Comcast to cast my DVR'd programs to my TV?  

As for additional services, I can solve this by renting a DVR from Comcast for both locations, which I shouldn't have to do.

Frequent Visitor

Found this online, too bad he's not following through...

"Our customers should be able to access their Xfinity TV cable service wherever they want, whenever they want, on whatever device they want......"

Problem Solver

The quote from Mark Hess is sort of telling the truth, "on whatever device they want".  Comcast isn't stopping you from watching your recorded content on your smart device (of course if it's a Windows phone they are), they are just preventing you from casting it to your TV through a third party device (Chromecast in your case). Do I agree with that, not really, but you don't really have a choice.  Not sure what the network partners see as a difference watching on a smart device vs casting it to a TV (besides the obvious, a nice bigger format).

If you are just trying to stream DVRed content, you can still use a laptop/PC, and either Chromecast it or direct connect to the TV through HMDI.  The downside of using a computer is you cannot download DVR content, and therefore need an Internet connection.

mpt1123 wrote:

Found this online, too bad he's not following through...

"Our customers should be able to access their Xfinity TV cable service wherever they want, whenever they want, on whatever device they want......"

Frequent Visitor

Correct.  I don't have a choice right now, but at least don't use some lame excuse that 'network partners' are blocking it. It is solely because Comcast wants me to rent additional equipment from them.  As for using a PC, I'll try that next time I'm in town.  If that works, why would the 'network partners' permit this type of casting and block casting from a mobile device.  I'm sure someone at Comcast is already working on blocking casting from a PC.

This is total BS on the part of Comcast.  

Contributor

It's funny too because it used to work fine (cast to Smart TV via LG G4 phone).  I used it in cases where I had a physical DVR problem and Comcast couldn't come out for a few days.  Also if the internet was down, it allowed me to still be able to watch on my TV.  If I run into those problems now, I basically have no choice but to not be able to access my TV/DVR/internet.  It's BS.

Frequent Visitor

Correct.  It is a Comcast policy change.  They stated the X1 platform would allow you to watch your programs anywhere, on any device, but they didn't count on customers actually using it to its full potential (i.e. reducing their monthly bill).  Then they change the service and hide their decision by stating that it is due to 'network partners'.  Total BS.

Silver Problem Solver

mpt1123 wrote:

Correct.  It is a Comcast policy change.  They stated the X1 platform would allow you to watch your programs anywhere, on any device, but they didn't count on customers actually using it to its full potential (i.e. reducing their monthly bill).  Then they change the service and hide their decision by stating that it is due to 'network partners'.  Total BS.

Post your comments on the Comcast Facebook page and Twitter.

BTW, this is a user-to-user help forum.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Contributor

Except that the reason I was using the ability to cast is because I was unable to use Comcast's equipment and/or had to wait days for a tech to come out.  I couldn't and wouldn't have the need to add any more of their equipment.  It's a disservice to those of us who found a way around their poor service and the ridiculous fact that it can take days for a tech to come out.

Expert

KidSleez wrote:

Except that the reason I was using the ability to cast is because I was unable to use Comcast's equipment and/or had to wait days for a tech to come out.  I couldn't and wouldn't have the need to add any more of their equipment.  It's a disservice to those of us who found a way around their poor service and the ridiculous fact that it can take days for a tech to come out.

windows 10 using chrome browser worked for me just now. the chrome browser has cast feature. when you have the video running, hit the right hand icon to fill the screen. you can minimize the computer's browser page without interfering with the cast video.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Contributor

The way I was previously using casting was when my cable and/or internet service was down.  I'd access the Xfinity TV app on my phone and cast either live TV or DVR recordings to my smart TV.  That's no longer allowed.

Official Employee

2 year old thread closed