Community Forum

Tuning to HBO by voice brings up the SD version, not HD

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Tuning to HBO by voice brings up the SD version, not HD

We just got xfinity and are getting used to it. We're sad that there is just one HBO (English-language) station in HD. But we're confused that when we speak into the X1 remote "HBO" it tunes to 550 instead of 801. We tried a lot of variations but nothing got us 801.

Is there a trick?

-- Ethan

Expert

Re: Tuning to HBO by voice brings up the SD version, not HD

foggyethan wrote:

We just got xfinity and are getting used to it. We're sad that there is just one HBO (English-language) station in HD. But we're confused that when we speak into the X1 remote "HBO" it tunes to 550 instead of 801. We tried a lot of variations but nothing got us 801.

Is there a trick?

-- Ethan

is your setting to tune to HD set in preferences? Xfinity button > gear(settings) > Preferences > General > Auto-tune to HD channels (press OK to toggle to On). when you tune via a voice command or guide on an SD channel, that setting will tune to an HD version of the channel if one is available.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Frequent Visitor

That setting is already set. Other channels tune correctly. Just not HBO. Perhaps with time I'll find other exceptions.

I notice that channel 801 is named HBOHW, I think it was. Presumably some contraction for "HD" and "West". I don't know if that is part of it. I'm on the west coast, so get the Pacific feeds.

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

You have multiple HBO feeds, your HD version is actually HBO Pacific, try that as a voice command or HBO HD or Ch 801
Frequent Visitor

All of those still tune me to the SD version, channel 550. But if I say "Showtime" I get the HD.

Official Employee

Even if you say ch 801?
Frequent Visitor

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, specifying the channel number does work.

But who wants to memorize channel numbers? That's so 2000s. 8-)

Silver Problem Solver

foggyethan wrote:

Sorry, my mistake. Yes, specifying the channel number does work.

But who wants to memorize channel numbers? That's so 2000s. 8-)

In my case, I have twelve HBO channels.  

Official Employee

The problem with the OPs’s lineup is that the main hbo feed is HBO East, HD feed is HBO Pacific may just need a local tech to verify one way or the other
Frequent Visitor

Even when I ask for "HBO Pacific", it still tunes to 550, HBO E.

Frequent Visitor

It's hard to believe that I'm the only one on the west coast who has tried using voice to tune to HBO and been confused that they couldn't get an HD channel. No workaround except to memorize Channel 801?

-- Ethan