Community Forum

Trying to record a series with "UHD Preferred" setting results in no action being taken

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Trying to record a series with "UHD Preferred" setting results in no action being taken

Hello,

I've just installed a new X1 coming from Tivo and noticed an odd bug in the series recording feature. If I use the Record function from the Series/Program, I receive the pop-up box with various recording options. If I select "UHD Preferred" for recording and select "Confirm", no action is taken. There is no "Your recording has been set" message and nothing is added to the schedule. If I set it to "HD Preferred" then the series is set to record correctly. 

My understanding of "UHD preferred" is "UHD if available, otherwise HD if available, otherwise SD". Since you can't record a series with "UHD preferred" it seems like the box will never record anything in UHD even if it is available in UHD. 

This is also an issue for users of the new 4K X1 because "UHD Preferred" is the default setting. At first I thought series recording was broken entirely. 

Note that I do not get this issue if I try to record from the episode list or a specific episode on the guide - only from the Series screen.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Philip.

Expert

Re: Trying to record a series with "UHD Preferred" setting results in no action being take

@ wrote:

Hello,

I've just installed a new X1 coming from Tivo and noticed an odd bug in the series recording feature. If I use the Record function from the Series/Program, I receive the pop-up box with various recording options. If I select "UHD Preferred" for recording and select "Confirm", no action is taken. There is no "Your recording has been set" message and nothing is added to the schedule. If I set it to "HD Preferred" then the series is set to record correctly. 

My understanding of "UHD preferred" is "UHD if available, otherwise HD if available, otherwise SD". Since you can't record a series with "UHD preferred" it seems like the box will never record anything in UHD even if it is available in UHD. 

This is also an issue for users of the new 4K X1 because "UHD Preferred" is the default setting. At first I thought series recording was broken entirely. 

Note that I do not get this issue if I try to record from the episode list or a specific episode on the guide - only from the Series screen.

Any thoughts on how to make this work?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Philip.

I would change your setting to "HD Preferred". There is no UHD programing coming from Comcast for you to record.

Official Employee

Re: Trying to record a series with "UHD Preferred" setting results in no action being take

A better practice is to record from the guide so it is HD all the time. I’m guessing that’s a result of the latest update of adding a UHD tag to shows. What show was it that you were trying to record?
New Poster

@ wrote:
A better practice is to record from the guide so it is HD all the time. What show was it that you were trying to record?

It's actually repeatable with ever series I tried. A few examples are House Hunters and NCIS: Los Angeles

Is Comcast really not starting to serve up some 4K content? If not, why have a 4K capable box?

Official Employee

Presently, the only 4K content available is with a 4K Netflix subscription
New Poster

OK - thanks. I guess at least I know I'm not missing out on anything by using the "HD Preferred" setting Smiley Happy

Still might be a good idea to escalate to the development team since UHD is the default setting and the behavior is confusing for new users. It should at least generate an error, but it just exits with no message at all. Long-time X1 users will know they need to look for the confirmation box, but new users may now know this. At first, I thought the recording had been set. Not until I went back into the schedule list did I see that it had not. 

Thanks again for the very quick reply. 

Official Employee

Can you post a screenshot of the “UHD preferred” option so we can look into this?
Official Employee

Chad this is what he is referring to
Example, if you use use voice commands “House Hunters International” to get to the asset page and choose record, UHD preferred is the default choice. Like the OP stated it’s the same for every show chosen this way. If you don’t catch it and change to HD preferred it won’t be scheduled to record.

This message only occurs on the XG1V4 box not any other.
6CDBF675-0580-4534-B98E-30D40073DFC3.jpeg
Official Employee

Phillipm76, when I use the same method as you and the UHD preffered is used and confirmed, the recording is set message doesn’t show, which is why you weren’t able to see anything under Scheduled
Official Employee

Thanks Andrew, what version of XRE does the box have where you can reproduce the issue?

We have a ticket created and will have a developer look into this.
Official Employee

Thanks Chad
It’s 1.83.03 1/30/2018
Official Employee

This issue will be resolved shortly.