Community Forum

This "New" website TV listings

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Re: This "New" website TV listings is absolutely horrible.

Just go back to the past guide why do you guys always fix something that' not broken.

New Poster

When do you expect to publish the new screen?

Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

glennall & joer50 -- Apologies for the displeasure you have with this site. We have heard what customers have to say about it and are taking all feedback on it. This will help us add features and improvements to it going forward. 

They are not listening. Comcast did the same thing with Hulu and everyone hated it. Many customers left (it was still free back then). Forums all over are filled with complaints. But if you google it you will find glowing reports from many news agencies that are all suspiciously similarly worded.

After that the only change they made was to put the entire service behind a paywall.

New Poster

Where is DVR manager now? Anyone know? How can I record a program from this new tv listings site!?!? It was fine before!

New Poster

I want to filter my list with my favorites, like I used to do. I hate the white on black format. I pretty much hate everything about this new unimproved website. Things better change quickly, and preferably back to the old website!

New Poster

Re: This "New" website TV listings

Same for me. I want now on my laptop to see whats on my TV tomorrow night so that I can watch it on TV then. I can't find that out now with this new comcast/xfinity website. When I finally found "TV Listings" it wasnt for my zip code like the old way. No PBS WNET NY, no CBS, ABC, etc etc. and the networks they do show don't match my channels. 

And really bad, I was forced to enable FLASH PLAYER which is very virus-prone. Major websites are getting away from useing FLASH. Why would Comcast make me use FLASH to look at TV listings. I never used to have to.  Why now?

I m very dissappointed. 

Let me do what I used to do.

Go to www.comcast.net

Hit the TV icon at the top

See the TV Listings. Sometimes I have to change the zipcode from a default to my own

Change hour or day to see what I want

Hit the program and get a description of it

Frequent Visitor

The worst part is that we will continue to pay for "services rendered" before ever receiving or even being able to use them. The ONLY people that do this. And you still won't be able to use all of what you pay for at any given time...EVER!  They know that.

Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

glennall & joer50 -- Apologies for the displeasure you have with this site. We have heard what customers have to say about it and are taking all feedback on it. This will help us add features and improvements to it going forward. 

Then give us back the old site until the improvements are accomplished. Meanwhile, we are not getting the service we had before and are paying for. I hope I am wrong, but I don't believe Comcast will restore the functionality we had in the old site. We will see.

Contributor

You can't get there any more.  They've b;ocked it.  :-(

Mike

Frequent Visitor

Bring back the ability to switch chanels on the cable box via the website.  I can NOT believe comcast would pull such a usefully feature! Shame on you  guys.  

Regular Contributor

Since I can no longer set recordings or manage my DVR as I have for years, I will be dropping my Comcast service. Just one more in a long line of straws and this is enough.

Meanwhile, to see what is on TV, I went back to TVGuide.com. It's simple and it works. 

Frequent Visitor

You just take EVERYTHING FROM BEFORE THE NEW VERSION and add it to this big black screen !

New Poster

Could not agree more with the OP.  The new design is hilariously bad.

1) Have to log in every single time instead of it locating me as it used to by IP

2) No daily listings of updated shows anymore so no way to find anything except by scrolling through endless shows or performing multiple and seeing if any of the shows I watch actually had a new episode that week

3) Cannot remove history

4) Still not sure the sorting (date, popular, recent) actually works at all.  It certainly does not on the mobile app.

5) Have any of the people on this software project actually used any modern technology in the last few decades or so?  The UI and all the functionality screams 1980.

New Poster

Let us have the old guide back. This new guide is horrible. In the future you may want to use people who actually use your service when making changes. Its time to check out dishnet, as you obviously don't care about paying cients!

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the hint about TVGuide.com.  I think I'll be switching to that.

Contributor

Alas, the recently discovered stash of the old-school grid no longer works for me either. Fun while it lasted.

You have to shake your head at a company that goes out of it's way to say the customer is always wrong. We don't really want an online guide that is legible, can be sensibly sorted for obvious categories and can be easily & instantly accessed at a click, you see. No, no, no! We want a grid that only someone under 25 can read, which requires multiple clicks to see what's on now - or rather to see what was on 5 minutes ago & you already missed because it took so daggum long to get past all the screens promising our wonderful 'xfinity experience'.

[Sigh.]

I just signed up for TV Guide also. But of course, it is 2016 - a year of endlessly unfolding & exponentially proliferating rolling disasters. So, fair warning to everyone else who signed up there, with my luck Comcast will buy TV Guide, Inc. & remake their grid too -  just because they can.Aaargh!

Anybody here wanna run away & join an Amish community with me?

Frequent Visitor

BRING BACK THE OLD LISTING!!!!!

This new listing is the worst. How can you even think its better than what we had. Favorites is totally messed up. The listing is terrible. It takes so much longer to look for what you want.  I totally left comcast guide and now using tcschedule to just see whats on tv. It might be time to look at Dish Network. This is the worst. 

BRING BACK THE OLD LISTING!!!!

New Poster

It is beyond me as to how someone redesigned the xfinity experience and decided to remove the option to sort movies by their genre. The new format is atrocious and the whole site should either be reverted to the previous version, or give us the option to go back to the Classic View. The classic view wasn't perfect, but it's in a whole other level compared to what we have been given in it's place.
Frequent Visitor

I and hopefully many other comcast customers don't want any 'added features and improvements to it going forward.' Just give us back our classic tv listings so we can change channels, record programs, set our favorite channels, manage our listings for our area, add filters and know what channel # we need to program. This new "experience" is useless to us who use our pc's to program our watch list. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give us back our original tv grid. NOW! NOW! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

I and hopefully many other comcast customers don't want any 'added features and improvements to it going forward.' Just give us back our classic tv listings so we can change channels, record programs, set our favorite channels, manage our listings for our area, add filters and know what channel # we need to program. This new "experience" is useless to us who use our pc's to program our watch list. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Give us back our original tv grid. NOW! NOW! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

I agree the new site is worthless, hard to read for a vision impaired person like me. I will have to use tv guide's listing.

New Poster

When you fix the site, be sure to add back the feature that allows you to view 3hrs at a time.  Longer would be better.

Contributor

I was also just very unhappily surprised at this new format!  I HATE IT!!!!  Why can't you just leave things alone if they are working?  This is a major downgrade in using the TV listings.  I no longer can filter out my own channel listing like before.  I am so disappointed in Comcast over this--but sadly not at all surprised.

Regular Contributor

ckf004 wrote:

When you fix the site, be sure to add back the feature that allows you to view 3hrs at a time.  Longer would be better.

Actually, that feature allowed you to stretch it to 5 hours.  If you clicked on the Settings icon, it dropped down a list with "3 hours" already selected, but "5 hours" was also available.  You had to re-select it every time, but the option was there.

This whole new website -- not just the awful TV programming guide, but billing info, email, everything -- is a disaster.

New Poster

the only "feature" that needs to be added is to reinstall the former functioning website. whoever designed and approved this one needs to be fired

Regular Contributor

jnlyn5 wrote:

the only "feature" that needs to be added is to reinstall the former functioning website. whoever designed and approved this one needs to be fired

Many of us have gone to (or gone back to, now that Comcast's TV programming guide has gone to P U) Zap2It for TV listings.  Won't help you with programming your DVR, but has a lot of other great features that you're missing now on here.

A couple years ago, Zap2It tried to go to a new, snappy, jazzy set up.  It reeked.  And it failed.  They went back to what they had, which is what they have stayed with now. 

Wise up, Comcast.  If our satisfaction is as important to you as you claim.  (Snicker, snicker, snicker)

Frequent Visitor

I am not happy either with the TV website for all the reasons stated in most other viewers.  You can't find the channel #'s, you can't tell the catagory.  It is just bad all the way around.  This is something we all PAY FOR.  The whole idea is to make it BETTER...not WORSE.  Please fix this.  There is NO appeal to this website, it only creates an obstacle to find what you are looking for.

Coffee14

Problem Solver

SchearPH wrote:

Thanks for the hint about TVGuide.com.  I think I'll be switching to that.

You could also try :     http://www.zap2it.com

works for me..  Smiley Happy

ciao, bj

Regular Contributor

Good to know. I used Zap2It at one point and left them when they changed the format. I'll check them out. TVGuide works, but doesn't seem to save my settings. 

Regular Contributor

dbvirago wrote:

Good to know. I used Zap2It at one point and left them when they changed the format. I'll check them out. TVGuide works, but doesn't seem to save my settings. 

No, it doesn't. Also TV Guide tends to be slow.

Contributor

I talked to a CSR who actually had a clue what I was talking about, and she told me that there is not now (and probably will never again be) a way for those of us with older DVRs (anything other than their X1 box) will be able to remotely record on  DVR.  So that takes care of that.

Bronze Problem Solver

hybucket wrote:

I talked to a CSR who actually had a clue what I was talking about, and she told me that there is not now (and probably will never again be) a way for those of us with older DVRs (anything other than their X1 box) will be able to remotely record on  DVR.  So that takes care of that.

Your only other option is using one of the apps. From the first post in main thread:

"I don't have XFINITY X1 service, how can I schedule recordings when away from home?
With the XFINITY TV app, X1 Cloud DVR customers can schedule and manage their DVR recordings right through the app. All other XFINITY DVR customers should use the XFINITY TV Remote app available in the App Store or Google Play to schedule and manage DVR recordings."

Source:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

Contributor

So the propellerheads win again.  Us techno-dinosaurs who don't have an "app" and have no idea what the "cloud" is but enjoyed being able to record favorite shows simply and remotely when we were on the road, are apparently S.O.L  :-(.

I wonder what Verizon has?

Mike

Bronze Problem Solver

msheehan10 wrote:

So the propellerheads win again.  Us techno-dinosaurs who don't have an "app" and have no idea what the "cloud" is but enjoyed being able to record favorite shows simply and remotely when we were on the road, are apparently S.O.L  :-(.

I wonder what Verizon has?

Mike

If you're interested in reading about the x1 cloud dvr info can be found here:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-with-cloud-technology-available-featur...

Depending on the comcast package you have, it may be a free add on feature, call and ask.

New Poster

Simple fix... go back to the original format. Roll back this discrace of an "update". You took no time in debugging this "new" page and have completely destroyed the user experience. Whoever is running this department must have been on vacation during the planning and implementation of this new listing page..... I could go on forever in the complete destruction you have done in regards to the way your users view your service... Ugh!

Regular Contributor

I was finally able to speak on the phone with a person from the Executive Customer Relations office, Deb K. She told me the old web site is gone forever, and that many customers liked the new site better. She had more vague promises about future improvements on the new site, but she didn't seem to understand the need for filters for My Channels or My Favorite Channels. She had no answer to why they they thought it was a good idea to strip away all the functionality from the guide, and her attitude was just get used to it.

Bronze Problem Solver

swanda wrote:

I was finally able to speak on the phone with a person from the Executive Customer Relations office, Deb K. She told me the old web site is gone forever, and that many customers liked the new site better. She had more vague promises about future improvements on the new site, but she didn't seem to understand the need for filters for My Channels or My Favorite Channels. She had no answer to why they they thought it was a good idea to strip away all the functionality from the guide, and her attitude was just get used to it.

Typical non-informational comcast response, she didn't commit to saying a majority of customers liked it better. Is 50 customers many in comcast's view?

Highlighted
Contributor

m.venanzi wrote:

hybucket wrote:

Your only other option is using one of the apps. From the first post in main thread:

"I don't have XFINITY X1 service, how can I schedule recordings when away from home?
With the XFINITY TV app, X1 Cloud DVR customers can schedule and manage their DVR recordings right through the app. All other XFINITY DVR customers should use the XFINITY TV Remote app available in the App Store or Google Play to schedule and manage DVR recordings."

Source:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/Announcement-and-feedback-thread-TV-Go-is-now-part-o...

Thanks for this...however, the OLD TV Remote app DOES allow you to view listings and set a program to record, but you cannot manage or view the DVR through this app. If you click on the DVR setting, it takes you to a web page which instructs you to download the Xfinity app, which will not show your DVR unless it is an X1.  According to several Comcast CSRs I spoke with, there is NO WAY for customers with anything other than the X1 to view their DVRs.

On another note, probably suitable for another thread, I keep getting emails and snail mailings from Comcast, telling me that my TiVO will "most likely" not be compatible with their MPG-4 formats they are now implimenting. While this is not an out-and-out lie, it is simply a way for Comcast to get you invest in the X1, by making you think that you will lose all HD functionality if you have a TiVO. The last two series of TiVO boxes ARE compatible with the MPG-4, and nothing needs to be done to continue to receive HD programming. 

Bronze Problem Solver

hybucket wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

hybucket wrote:

Source:

Thanks for this...however, the OLD TV Remote app DOES allow you to view listings and set a program to record, but you cannot manage or view the DVR through this app. If you click on the DVR setting, it takes you to a web page which instructs you to download the Xfinity app, which will not show your DVR unless it is an X1.  According to several Comcast CSRs I spoke with, there is NO WAY for customers with anything other than the X1 to view their DVRs.

The TV GO app takes me to a web site to manage dvr, but the TV Remote app works like the on tv guide. I downloaded it here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.tv&hl=en

I have version 3.0.0.028

Silver Problem Solver

m.venanzi wrote:

hybucket wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

hybucket wrote:

Source:

The TV GO app takes me to a web site to manage dvr, but the TV Remote app works like the on tv guide. I downloaded it here:

I have version 3.0.0.028

The TV Go app has been replaced by the Xfinity TV app.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Bronze Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

I have version 3.0.0.028

I'm talking about the TV Remote app available on google play, but it is not available on xfinity site (though it is described on xfinity site)

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/xfinity-apps#8d3bca61-889e-422c-a218-775e69a98782

Untitled1.jpg

Bronze Problem Solver

RobertWy wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

I have version 3.0.0.028

Ok, yes I mistyped, should have been:

"The TV app takes me to a web site to manage dvr, but the TV Remote app works like the on tv guide"

Problem Solver

m.venanzi wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

I have version 3.0.0.028

"The TV app takes me to a web site to manage dvr, but the TV Remote app works like the on tv guide"

That is still confusing. What do you mean by the "TV app takes me to a web site to manage dvr"? Which TV app? The Xfinity TV app lets you manage your DVR recordings and schedule in the app, no redirect to an external website (of course provided you have X1, and don't want to manage your series priorities). Are you talking about a different TV app?

Bronze Problem Solver

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

I have version 3.0.0.028

That is still confusing. What do you mean by the "TV app takes me to a web site to manage dvr"? Which TV app? The Xfinity TV app lets you manage your DVR recordings and schedule in the app, no redirect to an external website (of course provided you have X1, and don't want to manage your series priorities). Are you talking about a different TV app?

Talking about TV app vs. TV Remote app. Seems like they fixed it, a few days ago, on andriod TV app redirected to web site when looking at saved recordings

Problem Solver

m.venanzi wrote:

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

I have version 3.0.0.028

Talking about TV app vs. TV Remote app. Seems like they fixed it, a few days ago, on andriod TV app redirected to web site when looking at saved recordings

I think you are still confused. The Xfinity TV app never redirected to a website. The Xfinity TV Remote app on Android did the redirect, but it was updated October 4, 2016 to now have an in app DVR manager.

See the What's New section here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.tv&hl=en

Bronze Problem Solver

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

m.venanzi wrote:

I thinkk you are still confused. The Xfinity TV app never redirected to a website. The Xfinity TV Remote app on Android did the redirect, but it was updated October 4, 2016 to now have an in app DVR manager.

See the What's New section here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.tv&hl=en

I could be, there's too many bugs to keep track of. Just trying to get the OP hyBucket to an app that will allow dvr mng on an app with an old dvr. From comcast post they said TV Remote app will work.

Contributor

, Well they are wrong. The TV Remote app (at least the version I have) will allow you to set a recording, but when you click on the DVR manager in settings, it takes you to the website, which, in turn, will ask you to download the NEW TV remote app to get to the DVR manager, but it will NOT take you there unless you have a X1 DVR.  I am not about to download the update to the TV Remote app as I will lose the able-to-record function that I have in the old one.  I assume that, at some point, they will disable the old app so that won't work, either. Obvioulsy, who ever wrote the FAQ answers has no idea what they're talking about.

Silver Problem Solver

hybucket wrote:

, Well they are wrong. The TV Remote app (at least the version I have) will allow you to set a recording, but when you click on the DVR manager in settings, it takes you to the website, which, in turn, will ask you to download the NEW TV remote app to get to the DVR manager, but it will NOT take you there unless you have a X1 DVR.  I am not about to download the update to the TV Remote app as I will lose the able-to-record function that I have in the old one.  I assume that, at some point, they will disable the old app so that won't work, either. Obvioulsy, who ever wrote the FAQ answers has no idea what they're talking about.

I have an iPhone6 with iOS 10.  I just used the TV remote app to schedule a future recording in the app.  I have the X1 DVR service.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

I agree with all the negative comments about the "all new and improved TV listings"...it was done very poorly.

For example:

1) The load time is substantial

a) Of course we accept the activation...what choice do we have?

2) Favorite Channels was a good tool that was eliminated  (???)

3) When you  filter by sports you get an unusable set of Icons...you just want the listing of sports in standard format

4) Showing college games by mascots was a very poor idea...many teams have the same mascot

I am amazed at how many bad ideas you pulled out of the hat...wow...congrats...it must be a record. What  happened to any QA process?

Don't just say you are going to think about fixing the problem.  Give us a timeline for a fix...say what you are going to do and do what you say...pretty simple..

Bronze Problem Solver

hybucket wrote:

According to ComcastDan, you must have an old version of the tv remote app, try upgrading it.

ComcastDan's post:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-TV-Website/I-can-t-access-my-DVR-manager-in-the-new-xfinity-web...