Community Forum

The XR5 Remote stopped controlling the cable box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

The XR5 Remote stopped controlling the cable box

I've had this set up for about a month now and all of a sudden the remote (XR5) doesn't control the cable box (PC PX032ANI) anymore.  The remote still controls the TV on/off and volume, but that's it.  When I press buttons on the remote, the light turns green when I press it then red immediately.  The remote was sitting on a nightstand when this change happened as I used it before I went to sleep and it does not work this morning, so I don't know that it was my error.  

Comcast's website sucks and it tells me I need to chat but that won't load for me, so here I am.  Anyone have ideas? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: The XR5 Remote stopped controlling the cable box

I know this sounds nuts, but reseat/replace the batteries.

Is the remote paired?  (The RNG150 needs an XR8 adapter to pair.)

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

The exact same thing happened to me except we were away for a week and when we returned the remote wouldn't do anything but on/off.

I happened to see a Comcast truck next door and asked the tech about it. He came over and within 30 seconds re-paired the remote to the box. I'm not sure how it got "un-paired", but that was the issue. I would try that if I were you.

Expert

@upsman4 wrote:

The exact same thing happened to me except we were away for a week and when we returned the remote wouldn't do anything but on/off.

I happened to see a Comcast truck next door and asked the tech about it. He came over and within 30 seconds re-paired the remote to the box. I'm not sure how it got "un-paired", but that was the issue. I would try that if I were you.

many firmware updates ago that was a big issue. the FW would update and the remote would flash green-red since it got no acknowledgment from the box. had to put in code 987 then repair with the box.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Maybe if you offered a realistic solution to your matter, or send that cable guy to my home. Sorry I seems to be fresh out of "nandering around" cable guys.

Expert

@chriss1563 wrote:

Maybe if you offered a realistic solution to your matter, or send that cable guy to my home. Sorry I seems to be fresh out of "nandering around" cable guys.

hi chriss1563 another customer here. are you stating you are having problems with the remote losing contact and having to be paired to the X1 equipment again? The LED on the remote actually gives some information that can be used. the remote if in IR (infrared) mode flashes red when you hit a button like channel up. If the remote is paired via RF (aim anywhere and not IR) the LED will flash green. If paired and the remote does not get acknowledgement (ack) from the x1 device will blink quickly both green and red on a DVR button press. Additionally, if the X! set top box receives (sees) the remote button press (like channel up) either in IR or RF will show it received the command by flashing an LED to right of the clock (DVR) or light on front of the set top box if not a DVR.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!