Community Forum

Swapped burned out NON HD DTA and Got what appears to be an HD DTA

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Swapped burned out NON HD DTA and Got what appears to be an HD DTA

I have the preferred plus package for 10 years now and encountered this mess by just swapping out a DTA:   I had to swap out a DTA box that cost me a 100 mile round trip to the nearest Xfinity store. It was just a straight up digital converter box that burned it self out from being on 24/7. In return I got a DTA box with an HDMI port. When I hooked it up without using HDMI since I thought I did not get HD on any set (Comcast told me this), but my main X1 HD T.V., when I finally got it activated after 30 minutes on the phone. Suddenly it was showing the HD channels. I have yet to get an HDMI cable to see if it is true HD, since the menu which has me locked out of making changes on the setup guide; only shows a 480i max output option. Now I have duplicate channels on that T.V. and an irritating message that says to press "OK" to view in HD each time you change channels in SD. I've had the same package for 10 years and now I wonder if I've been getting short changed by not getting HD on my two other T.V.'s that are not X1 setups! Anyone had a similar experience or how to fix....

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Swapped burned out NON HD DTA and Got what appears to be an HD DTA

Typically, HD is either built into a package, or a separate "HD Technology Fee". Basically, that covers ALL devices on the account. There is no separate fee per device.

Frequent Visitor

If you or anyone knows who I can get in touch with, I would really love it. I have had "HD Technology" fee included in my bundle pakcage for 10 years and was always told by Comcast installers, customer support, and sales that I only would recieve HD on only the main HDTV that I had an old silver set top box with and now the new X1 box. All they ever gave me were SD digital convertors for the other two T.V.'s on the account. I'm owed something, though I will probably get nothing. The first time I moved and told the installer to upgrade me to the bundle with th free "HD Technology Fee" included over 10 years ago... he didn't even hook up the box correctly. He said, "It's in HD just look at the picture". After a couple of weeks, i realized that I had to go to WalMart and get an HDMI/DVI oddball connection cord. A few months later an installer came out to check signal problems I was having and asked "Where are the component video cables and audio cables for this box..". I told him what happened when it was installed and he shrugged it off and covered for the other guy and said that I had a better picture with the HDMI/DVI cable. I'm just about ready to cancel the whole account!

Official Employee

Hi mcdano71, I can address your concerns. The HD tech fee is required to have HD services, this does not mean that all of your equipment has to be HD. All of our HD cable boxes cost a little more do to the technology difference. I apologize if you were not informed that you had SD equipment for your other boxes, but this difference would have reflected on your bill in price for the equipment and the bill also states exactly what equipment you have. Unfortunately we cannot credit you for the misunderstanding due to you being charged appropriately for the type of box (SD) that you had previously. 

Contributor

The HD tech fee is required to have HD services

That's a common misconception.  That fee is true for all Digital TV packages but not for the Limited Basic service, as outlined here.  The local channels package already gets socked with $7 in rebroadcast fees in the area, so adding an HD tech fee onto that for about a dozen local channels is excessive, even to Comcast corporate.

"Please note that if you subscribe to Limited Basic only with HD equipment, you can watch all channels in HD without an additional fee for HD service."

Official Employee

jwf-98136, this is partially true. Some packages already have the HD tech included in the price which is why we don't charge a separate HD fee that you can see itemized on your bill. 

Contributor

Can you list which packages have this HD fee included but not itemized ?  I haven't seen anything about that sort of HD fee exclusion other than the webpage for limited basic.

Official Employee

Each market has different packages and pricing, which is why I said you were partially correct. There is no set list of packages that can tell you if the HD tech fee is included or not for this reason.

Silver Problem Solver

jwf-98136 wrote:

Can you list which packages have this HD fee included but not itemized ?  I haven't seen anything about that sort of HD fee exclusion other than the webpage for limited basic.

You may need to look in the monthly bill (usually once or twice a year) that includes the price list. The descriptions for some of the packages note that they include the HD Technology Fee.

Contributor

Thanks andyross, I see that in some of the higher-end double and triple play packages in my Seattle bill from August.  I would expect that HD fee to appear in the bill list for what's included in that package, like the top lines of my old bill below.  My experience is that the package names and what's included in them is pretty consistent, even if the price varies regionally.  The takeaway is that some packages include HD service in the base (it's not added as an additional fee) and the limited basic channel bundle includes HD service without an additional fee for HD service.  I also noticed that our recent rate adjustment makes no distinction in price for HD vs SD Digital Adapters for limited basic pacakges.Adapter price.pngDigital Adapter prices

Comcast-101.PNGExample bill with first item of includesHD package.pngX1 starter, preferred both include HD tech fee in the base package