Community Forum

Splitter questions?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Frequent Visitor

Splitter questions?

I’ve recently been dealing with a few service issues, despite not having any changes in setup the last few years: pixelated images, dropped internet signal, etc etc.

I’ve called support, but they can’t get a tech out in a window that works with my schedule (two jobs with unstable schedules!).

I’m starting to trouble shoot myself; and noticed a few different splitters in the line:

One dual splitter that feeds into an unbalanced triple splitter.

My DVR and modem signal come from another double splitter that is attached to the -7db out on the triple splitter (so I have: street > double split > triple split (-7db out) > double split > modem/DVR )

I’m sure there’s something to be improved here?

Signal strength to DVR, per Service menu is:
Downstream Received Power: -2.3
Downstream SNR: 38.4
Upstream Power: 49.5
Expert

Re: Splitter questions?

Well, for starters, if there's an unbalanced triple splitter, (-3.5, -7, -7), the modem should be on the split line with the least amount of signal loss (-3.5 db) rather than the -7 db. Each splitter will cost you at least -3.5 db of signal loss, so if you can eliminate any of them, that would be good. Any unused ports on the splitters should be terminated. 

You might also benefit from the Troubleshooting Guide for your modem. 

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

I’m thinking of rewiring as follows:

Main>triple splitter (balanced)> double splitter (with DVR and modem connected here).

All of the splitters are terminated to a Box or jack someplace in the house.
Official Employee

Replace the first couple of splitters and Homerun what you can to one these types of amps
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

97208A2C-0E46-4F09-93EB-DBF8C7BB2EA6.jpeg
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Andrew.

I’ve seen the Commscope come up a few times.  Are you suggesting those items based on the signal strength that I had posted?

Would the commscope need each output terminated too, like a splitter would?

And is there harm in splitting a signal after the commscope if needed?

I’m tempted to try it, just to see what happens, but I only have one coax running to my DVR and Modem (every other TV has a home run coax available).  I can try running another coax to the modem, but it may be tough...

Official Employee

Those are the 2 types that techs carry. It will benefit both your upstream and downstream signals. Looking at your equipment I notice moca is an issue too ( or the boxes are unplugged). You can keep the dvr and modem on the two way after the commscope (that line goes to port 1), it’s not going to hurt anything. The ports should be terminated and there are amps with less ports available (comes in 5 or 9 ports).
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

So if I had a 5 port commscope, I’d want to have a box on each one? Is there a way to “terminate” an open leg if I don’t have a box to wire to it?

You are correct: I have one box that will show as disconnected. We removed a splitter to see if that helped with the router issues. (I’m still convinced it may have been caused by an outage in the town next door, as we’re right on The line.... although we have been dealing with the pixelation for months now).

I appreciate your help! It’s nice to have somebody who to communicate to on a higher level than just “powercycl it and cross your fingers”!!
Official Employee

With the X1 platform you’ll only use 4 or 8 ports, the 5th or 9th port is if you had a modem on a separate outlet. Once, you lessen the amount of splitters the communication between boxes should improve, it might have been too many splitters in play for the boxes to communicate properly.

Frequent Visitor

Okay. Now, the booster: is that something the Comcast office would have? Or only the techs? I see the 9 port commscope on Amazon, but the 5 port only on eBay.

I think my main question, though: if I get the 9 output: and only needed 4 of those outs (my DVR, and 3 bedroom boxes), would I just terminate the open outputs with a 75ohm termination plug?
Official Employee

Techs will have it, stores won't. Yes any open ports is ideal to terminate if you can. Before you order anything, double check that you have power available for the amp location, there's a special splitter necessary for remote power if you don't.

Frequent Visitor

Excellent; and as long as I use the 75ohm termination caps on the open ports, would there be any difference between the 5 and 9 port models?

The drop-in is right next to my main electrical panel which has a dedicated service outlet: so power is not an issue.
Official Employee

There’s no difference between the 2 models. When you hook into the amp, port 1 is for the DVR/modem line, port 2 is the furthest outlet, and then so on. Feel free to use termination caps, we do.

Frequent Visitor

Excellent. Hopefully it helps my situation.

I’ll just order the 9 port model that you pictured and some termination caps. At least then I have room for expansion (but I’m sure by the time my wife lets me get a new TV, it’ll all be wireless anyways!!!)
Expert

@Gizzygone wrote:
Excellent. Hopefully it helps my situation.

I’ll just order the 9 port model that you pictured and some termination caps. At least then I have room for expansion (but I’m sure by the time my wife lets me get a new TV, it’ll all be wireless anyways!!!)

how much is the no-gain amp? it might be cheaper to get your home runs done and use current splitters at the home run point temporarily and call Comcast for a service call. comcastAndrew might be able to verify if price to correct wiring trip charge $60 would cover the amp.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.