Community Forum

So are the channel buttons worthless?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

So are the channel buttons worthless?

They scroll through channels I don't even get! What's the point of that? Doesn't Comcast have the common sense to allow the channel buttons to only access channels you're subscribed to, or better yet your favorites? Am I just not seeing it in the options? My previous Verizon Fios had this ability. The tuning lag is also very long and the remote inputs have terrible lag, so it appears the guide has to always be used unless you're flipping between 2 adjacent channels that your subscription actually gets.

Thanks in advance for the answer.
Official Employee

Re: So are the channel buttons worthless?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-default-guide-view

How to change your guide view

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Andrew, what does that have to do with my post?
Official Employee

You didn’t want to see just the channels that you get or favorites?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I'm asking about the channel up/down buttons on the remote. Thanks again.
Official Employee

Then the answer would be that there isn’t. You would have to change the guide view

Contributor

So the channel buttons are worthless!

Why don't you fix this?

If you don't appreciate my point, you should try using an actual system and see how well the channel buttons work. The delay is forever for some reason, half the channels won't even come in, and you'll be scrolling through all the <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. The very simple solution is to allow the buttons to only scroll through your favorites!

This is a perfect example of <Edited for violating forum guidelines: "Inflammatory">. I hope they will redeem themselves on this by fixing it. Otherwise, why go even put the channel buttons on the remote if they have worthless functionality?

Contributor

Andrew, are you going to take any action to get this fixed to make the channel buttons actually usable?

Is this that far-fetched of a request??
Expert

@zzz00 wrote:
Andrew, are you going to take any action to get this fixed to make the channel buttons actually usable?

Is this that far-fetched of a request??

Yes; your request is far-fetched for the way all programing is coded.

Basically; all channels show up for any given service area. And people like myself only watch HD channels found in 800 to 999 series and a few HD channel selections between 200 and 799. As already stated by Andrew your can choose categories, or Favorites, to narrow down the menu. The "up" and "down" buttons work fine here, and off course using numerical buttons work fine. Most people remember channel numbers watched often.

I wouldn't be caught dead watching lower channel numbers for SD programing, unless the HD channel was out due to RF interference. However; having all channels shown might encourage some people to up-grade for HD channels when they replace their old tv. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

MNtundraRET, you make zero sense.

You think it's ok that the guide can be configured to only show channels you get or want, but for that to apply to channel buttons is far fetched! This inconsistent logic is beyond my comprehension.

You also said you "wouldn't be caught dead" on SD channels. Well right now if you push channel buttons, you run the risk of ending up on those! You also set you watch a specific set of channels - all the more reason why a guy like you might want the option of the channel buttons only pan through those!

Look, sometimes I just want to pan through what's on TV. It's a lot fewer steps to push a single button per channel than go through the guide. Therefore this isn't a far fetched request. It's extremely simple and logical. It's insane that I have to explain all of this.
Contributor

Hello Andrew?
Contributor

Official Employee

@zzz00 wrote:

I work in the field, like I explained above, it's working as intended. There's nothing to fix.

Frequent Visitor

I understand what you are saying and totally agree.  The problem is that the Comcast employee doesn't understand the question.  They think that choosing an option on the guide fixes your problem.  What they fail to understand, once choosing (say Free to Me guide) will only work on the guide.  If I choose a channel on the Free to Me guide and then press channel up, I may receive the dreaded "You need to subscribe to this channel" banner.  I understand exactly what you are saying.  Comcast either doesn't understand or just really doesn't care - they want you to subscribe to EVERY channel anyway.

Official Employee

Hi All, 

I want to make sure I understand correctly what's going on because I think there is a misunderstanding. When you use the Free to Me filter, and then use the up and down page button on the remote, it guide shows channels that aren't actually free to you? Help me understand. 

Thanks, 

KenF

Contributor

KenF, thanks for your reply.  The problem is, if you're watching TV and push the channel up or down button on the remote, it will through across ALL channels including ones that aren't included in your plan, and ones that aren't favorites.  This makes the channel buttons pretty worthless.  With this behavior, in order for a user to see what's on each channel, they have to keep opening the guide, going down 1 channel, and hitting enter.  This should be a very easy thing to fix in software, because there's already an option to make the guide only display favorites.

Contributor

Comcast, why don't you make the channel buttons not worthless?
Frequent Visitor

I absolutely agree. I probably have not done a manual channel change in months. I either have a recording set or if I know the show or channel I have to use the voice remote feature to change to it. I find the guide just way to slow and buggy to be able to use to find a show or to manually change channels.

Official Employee

KenF, thanks for your reply.  The problem is, if you're watching TV and push the channel up or down button on the remote, it will through across ALL channels including ones that aren't included in your plan, and ones that aren't favorites.  This makes the channel buttons pretty worthless.  With this behavior, in order for a user to see what's on each channel, they have to keep opening the guide, going down 1 channel, and hitting enter.  This should be a very easy thing to fix in software, because there's already an option to make the guide only display favorites.

You're talking about when the "free to me" filter is activated right? You're right, that doesn't make sense and doesn't make good use of that filer. UNLESS, what you're describing is a banner or an in grid ad for the channel and not an actual channel.

Frequent Visitor

It's sad that this thread is about three months old and we can't seem to get Comcast to understand what we're even complaining about.  Here's an example that will probably not help, but here goes:

I subscribe to cable which offers 3 channels - channels 1, 2, and 3.  My package ("free to me") includes channels 1 and 3.  Now when I am looking at your nice little channel guide and select the filter "free to me", I see only channels 1 and 3.  Yay!!! That works nicely.  Now I decide to watch channel 1.  Life is good - channel 1 is playing and then a commercial occurs.  I decide that I am going to see what's on channel 3 by pressing channel up on my remote.  Oh NOOO!!!  My cable box stupidly decides to show me channel 2 and display that I do not receive that channel!  But I told the guide to show "free to me"!!!

What we are asking is for the "free to me" filter "STICK" universally to what we are doing.  Seems like a simple thing to request.  I know when I had DirecTV, they were able to do this.  Why can't Comcast?

Contributor

"You're talking about when the "free to me" filter is activated right? You're right, that doesn't make sense and doesn't make good use of that filer. UNLESS, what you're describing is a banner or an in grid ad for the channel and not an actual channel."

Do you not have an X1 box in front of you to be able to try it??  How can you support this forum without that?