Community Forum

Slow Response

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: Slow Response

closing year-old thread

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Expert
Moved:

Admin1

ThomT -- To answer Rustyben's question, it was an in-house tech who visited your location. 

Expert

ThomT wrote:

ComcastZach wrote:

ThomT -- Your box does relay signal information back to us however RickGr4 is correct that an on-site tech can do a more thorough diagnostics of these signals. 

Zach & Rick,

Finally got Comcast to my house to diagnose the issue.  They found no problems with in house wiring!  However when I showed the tech the slow response to VOD, he said that it is an area wide issue that has been going on for a while. 

Is there anything that I can do besides wait? I was thinking about asking for a credit.  That has seemed to speed up resolution of issues in past years.

Thom

Video on-demand is not as fast in control as a local DVR recording. Was the tech in a comcast truck wearing a Comcast uniform (in-house comcast employee)? Or was it a contractor? The in-house techs have technical equipment to really test the signal levels.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

ThomT -- Your box does relay signal information back to us however RickGr4 is correct that an on-site tech can do a more thorough diagnostics of these signals. 

Zach & Rick,

Finally got Comcast to my house to diagnose the issue.  They found no problems with in house wiring!  However when I showed the tech the slow response to VOD, he said that it is an area wide issue that has been going on for a while. 

Is there anything that I can do besides wait? I was thinking about asking for a credit.  That has seemed to speed up resolution of issues in past years.

Thom

Admin1

Gold Problem Solver

As stated in my previous post, the only person that can see all critical X1 signals is an on-site tech.
Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

The signal check in Comcast Labs is nearly pointless. It does not measure most critical X1 signal levels.

The only person that can see ALL critical X1 signal levels is a Comcast tech that is actually at your house. Any Comcast employee in a remote location (such as over the phone or on line chat) can see only about half of the critical X1 signal levels.

My guess is your X1 box is struggling to return signals back to Comcast (upstream). It happened to me when I initially had X1 installed (the subcontractor that did my initial install did not check upstream signals) and it is a fairly common X1 issue. VOD in particular needs to be able to return signals back to Comcast.

If I were in your shoes, I would have Comcast send a tech out.

ThomT wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:
When X1 boxes are sluggish it is rarely a firmware issue.

Please confirm that your remote is RF Paired to the box. If the remote is already paired and it is still sluggish that points to signal issues that may require a tech visit.

When an X1 box is fighting with deficient signals, sluggish response is often one of the results.

Rick ... remote is paired to the box.  The sluggishness is only experienced when watching VOD.  DVR response remains fine.  The Comcast Labs signal check says that the signal is Good.

Just yesterday an episode of Outlander would not play.  It would give me the Starz intro, then fade to black and eventually go back to live TV.   A re-boot did not fix the issue.  I called Comcast and an agent was able to something and then it started working again.  She told me  that the signal to the box was fine and that I should get a new one.

There is an xfinity store near me, so I got a new box because it was easy to do.  I wound up with an Arris to replace the Pace (As an aside, Comcast has made the box swap process super easy!).  The Arris unit, running the same STB and XRE versions as the Pace, also had the same problems playing VOD, but was able to do it, every time so far, after a re-boot.  I have also noticed that VOD is fine in the mornings (tested, don't usually watch in the AM) and seems to have probs in the late afternoon, when I usually watch.  Not being a tech, I may be saying this wrong, but maybe the signals in my neighborhood are more saturated in the afternoon than in the mornings.  Does this make sense?  Also, can't Comcast log onto my box to see signal levels without having to dispatch a tech?  I hate waiting for them to arrive, even though they usually honor their scheduled arrival window.

Gold Problem Solver

The signal check in Comcast Labs is nearly pointless. It does not measure most critical X1 signal levels.

The only person that can see ALL critical X1 signal levels is a Comcast tech that is actually at your house. Any Comcast employee in a remote location (such as over the phone or on line chat) can see only about half of the critical X1 signal levels.

My guess is your X1 box is struggling to return signals back to Comcast (upstream). It happened to me when I initially had X1 installed (the subcontractor that did my initial install did not check upstream signals) and it is a fairly common X1 issue. VOD in particular needs to be able to return signals back to Comcast.

If I were in your shoes, I would have Comcast send a tech out.

ThomT wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Please confirm that your remote is RF Paired to the box. If the remote is already paired and it is still sluggish that points to signal issues that may require a tech visit.

When an X1 box is fighting with deficient signals, sluggish response is often one of the results.

Rick ... remote is paired to the box.  The sluggishness is only experienced when watching VOD.  DVR response remains fine.  The Comcast Labs signal check says that the signal is Good.

Just yesterday an episode of Outlander would not play.  It would give me the Starz intro, then fade to black and eventually go back to live TV.   A re-boot did not fix the issue.  I called Comcast and an agent was able to something and then it started working again.  She told me  that the signal to the box was fine and that I should get a new one.

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Gold Problem Solver

Regular Contributor

ComcastZach wrote:

ThomT -- Your box was showing that it didn't have the latest firmware version downloaded. I have pushed a request for it to download. Your box may need a reset for it to take effect. Can you see if this helps that command response? 

Don't exactly know when, but the STB changed to 2.4p8s2 for a day and then it reverted to 2.4p6s2.  VOD response was just as slow with either version.

Admin1

ThomT -- Your box was showing that it didn't have the latest firmware version downloaded. I have pushed a request for it to download. Your box may need a reset for it to take effect. Can you see if this helps that command response? 

Official Employee

ThomT wrote:
Reaction to commands is painfully slow. It takes several seconds for a video to pause or respond to any command. VOD has always slower to respond to commands than the DVR, but it is so slow now that it is aggravating.

Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

Regular Contributor

Slow Response

Reaction to commands is painfully slow. It takes several seconds for a video to pause or respond to any command. VOD has always slower to respond to commands than the DVR, but it is so slow now that it is aggravating.