Community Forum

Show Titles on Channel Guide "To Be Announced," 5 Calls to Tech Support, 1 Tech Out, No Solutions

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
New Poster

Show Titles on Channel Guide "To Be Announced," 5 Calls to Tech Support, 1 Tech Out, No Solutions

I had cable TV installed in my apartment on 11/11/16 and the cable guide has NEVER fully loaded every title on every channel.  About a third to half of the channels list "To Be Announced," instead, with no option to record them on the DRV.

I've tried every possible solution.  I reset the DVR.  Even after 12 hours, titles are TBA.  I call tech support, and during the 30 minute call, they ask me to reset the box, then sent a signal to it.   TBA.  I called tech support again, another 30 minute call, they ask me to reset the box again, then send a signal to it again, still  TBA. 

The second phone tech tells me that I'm using a "legacy box" and that the technology is failing.  He advises me to take my cable box to the store to switch it out for an X1 box.  Suspicous, I ask him if that is going to cost anything extra. 

"Absolutely not," he tells me.  "It's the equipment we're using for cable.  The tech should never have brought out a legacy box in the first place."

I haul myself to the cable store the next day, and the store manager tells me that I can't have an X1 box, because I'm not subscribing to internet (I already have it in my unit via another provider).  The store manager gives me a different legacy box to swap out, and theorizes that other providers to my apartment complex might have vandalized Comcast's equipment.  He schedules for a tech to come check things.

I take the new legacy box home.  TBA after five hours.  I call tech support, they ask me to reset it, they reset it themselves, TBA. 

The tech comes out and inspects my apartment complex's telecom room and my unit.  Everything is in perfect condition.  He resets my box.  TBA. 

I call in to cancel my service and am transferred to the loyalty department, where I talk to Catina in the Colorado Springs office. During our 40 minute call they reset my box.  Catina agrees to call me back to check if the guide has loaded after a few hours, but I can't be available, so we schedule an appointment for the next morning at 9:25 AM PST.  She never calls me the entire day. 

I call back and ask for her in the loyalty department, and I'm transferred to someone whom I have to tell this entire story to over again. 

Look.  I want the technology Comcast has provided to work.  Old, failing technology should not even be offered to customers, nor should services that require bundling to function properly.  Do not offer cable TV services if the cable TV services do not function without subscribing to internet, as well. 

If anyone has any suggestions, or if a Comcast representative would like to contact me, it would be very appreciated. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Show Titles on Channel Guide "To Be Announced," 5 Calls to Tech Support, 1 Tech Out,

It could be a signal issue. If it's having problems reading the OOB channel (OOB = Out Of Band), it will have difficulty loading the data. Normally, you should have all near-term programming (about 4-6 hours) within 30-60 minutes. The full week or so of programming may take a day or two to fill in.

You can do a quick test to see if the OOB channel is clean. Turn off the box, then hit OK/Select within 2-3 seconds of turning it off. This opens up the diagnostics menu. Scroll down to "d03 OOB STATUS" and hit OK/Select. Make sure the SNR and AGC lines have a GOOD rating. Hit OK/Select to get back to the menu and scroll down to "d07 UPSTREAM STATUS". Ideally, the Power Levels shown should be in the 40's or low 50's at worst. To exit, just hit Power to turn off, then Power again to turn on normally.

If any of the signals are out of spec, then a tech should come out and double-check your connections and signal levels.

Official Employee

Re: Show Titles on Channel Guide "To Be Announced," 5 Calls to Tech Support, 1 Tech Out,

@ccdecker wrote:

I had cable TV installed in my apartment on 11/11/16 and the cable guide has NEVER fully loaded every title on every channel.  About a third to half of the channels list "To Be Announced," instead, with no option to record them on the DRV.

I've tried every possible solution.  I reset the DVR.  Even after 12 hours, titles are TBA.  I call tech support, and during the 30 minute call, they ask me to reset the box, then sent a signal to it.   TBA.  I called tech support again, another 30 minute call, they ask me to reset the box again, then send a signal to it again, still  TBA. 

The second phone tech tells me that I'm using a "legacy box" and that the technology is failing.  He advises me to take my cable box to the store to switch it out for an X1 box.  Suspicous, I ask him if that is going to cost anything extra. 

"Absolutely not," he tells me.  "It's the equipment we're using for cable.  The tech should never have brought out a legacy box in the first place."

I haul myself to the cable store the next day, and the store manager tells me that I can't have an X1 box, because I'm not subscribing to internet (I already have it in my unit via another provider).  The store manager gives me a different legacy box to swap out, and theorizes that other providers to my apartment complex might have vandalized Comcast's equipment.  He schedules for a tech to come check things.

I take the new legacy box home.  TBA after five hours.  I call tech support, they ask me to reset it, they reset it themselves, TBA. 

The tech comes out and inspects my apartment complex's telecom room and my unit.  Everything is in perfect condition.  He resets my box.  TBA. 

I call in to cancel my service and am transferred to the loyalty department, where I talk to Catina in the Colorado Springs office. During our 40 minute call they reset my box.  Catina agrees to call me back to check if the guide has loaded after a few hours, but I can't be available, so we schedule an appointment for the next morning at 9:25 AM PST.  She never calls me the entire day. 

I call back and ask for her in the loyalty department, and I'm transferred to someone whom I have to tell this entire story to over again. 

Look.  I want the technology Comcast has provided to work.  Old, failing technology should not even be offered to customers, nor should services that require bundling to function properly.  Do not offer cable TV services if the cable TV services do not function without subscribing to internet, as well. 

If anyone has any suggestions, or if a Comcast representative would like to contact me, it would be very appreciated. 

Apologies for this issue.

Slow guide data loading is typically an indication of a localized signal issue that may require a technician visit to investigate and resolve. Seeing “To Be Announced” is not normal and should be corrected.

Check to be sure that all of your cable connections are snug.

I have asked a colleague to review your account and reach out to you so that we can get any underlying issues identified and resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I had the TBA on guide schedule.. That I picked up from the X store to exchange the old SD SA box to newer HD box it's was RNG200N (smaller box), I hooked up the box and that errors come up that on screen say "S0a05" that mean the box does not accept the update... so I went to the X website to chat with a tech support much easier than phone calls... They set the tech scheduled and then 5 days later the tech came to my home. the tech find out the RNG200N does not work in Minneapolis area.. He replaced with RNG150N and hooked up and the guide is fully schedules no more TBA status.. You will need to call tech support and have them schedule with a tech to come out.. if your box is not accept update that would not work in your city that show "S0a05". Oh, he brought the portable box for test the coax noise filters and status.. he said it's all good connections..