Community Forum

Should I turn RNG150N cable box off and use TV remote to change brightness etc

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Should I turn RNG150N cable box off and use TV remote to change brightness etc

Should I turn RNG150N cable box OFF and use TV remote to change brightness etc.  Reason being box is now on HDMI-1 but TV is on

INPUT 2. (non HDMI setting)   I tried to use TV remote while RNG150N was ON HDMI 2 and resulted in a nightmare ---  lost HDMI connection. I restored box setting by switching HDMI-2 to HDMI-1.  But, fear trying TV remote again while box is on.  Although TV is obviously HDMI capable its inputs only show 1,2,3,4, 5 but no HDMI.

Thank you,

Stephen L

Official Employee

Re: Should I turn RNG150N cable box off and use TV remote to change brightness etc

How are you going to change the brightness if you don’t have a picture to look at?You should leave it on. Maybe you hit a button you weren’t supposed to on the remote
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I turn RNG150N cable box off and use TV remote to change brightness etc

If I turn on TV remote without box on it will open screen and allow me to enter TV settings menu and make changes I want.  But, when I turn TV remote off and turn box back on (HDMI) TV picture settings are lost.    Sorry to post this as I did once before but was told to contact manufacturer(Hitachi) who could not adress issue.  Is a Comcast setting since day box was installed (replaced defective box).  I'll, no doubt,  end up hooking box up without HDMI.

Thank you anyway,

Stephen L

Expert

Check the side of television where the port connections are located. There should be a number by each type of port matching the the number you see when changing the source.

Only one of your ports on the tv may be a HDMI port. The other might be a HDMI to DVI port. That one would not work for you in this case.

Once you find the correct port for the HDMI cable, and change the source on the tv to that number, the cable-box should work after resetting it..

I would unplug the cable-box for at least one minute, and plug it back in for at least 5 minutes to set and reload the cable-box. Then turn it back on.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your help.  But, see attached buttons on side of TV are same as if using remote. No HDMI input just inputs 1-5.  TV obviously is HDMI capable -- also see on attached.

Thanks again,

Stephen L

Expert

If you have a place to plug a HDMI cable into your tv there should be a number there showing the source to choose when using your remote.

Secondly: Why do you turn off the TV when turning on the cable-box? 

Regular Contributor

I don't turn off the TV when turning on the cable box. The TV screen comes on when I turn  box on. Box is connected on HDMI-1 from TV to box.  But, I can't use TV remote to adjust brightness etc. (which  is on TV's INPUT 1).  If I do ,changes will not hold and I lose HDMI connection when I turn TV off with with box remote--thus no picture.  HDMI-2  goes to an Oppo  HDMI switch (attached).

Sorry for confusion.

Thanks again,

Stephen L

Expert

Do you have another tv to check the cable-box?

Can you get get the tv to work on OTA channels with the antenna?

The problem is with the television.

Regular Contributor

The other TV is a CRT SD TV with a SD cable box.   Obviously, would not connect to RNG150N.

Am in rural area with no local TV stations so antenna useless.

The television puts out a remarkable picture so if TV is problem I'm not going to junk it and buy another TV  (non plasma).  Present problem did not start until Comcast replaced defective RNG 110 with current box.  So I'll

just have to live with problem.

thanks for your help.

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

I hope I find answer in  RNG150N manual which I could not find on Comcast/Xfinity 's cable boxes manuals list because they only have Cisco  and  Pace 150 boxes manuals ( totally different).  So I had to download correct manual from:  

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/594036/Motorola-Rng150n.html

pdf too large to attach to this posting.

I don't want to junk my HD TV because I can't adjust its settings when only  cable box is HDMI-1 connected but TV  is on input 1,2,3, 4 or 5 (non HDMI inputs).  And, fact it worked before Comcast installed box (leaving me to do away with stretched mode installer claimed could not be done).  Moreover, if I attempt to access input 1, 2 or 5 on TV to run any of my DVD players when I close I'll lose cable box  HDMI setting and picture which happened earlier this week and was a nightmare for me and Comcast CSR to reset.

Keeping my fingers crossed to salvage my plasma TV (attached).

Stephen L

IMG_0096.jpg
Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

What is the Model # of your TV?

-KP

Regular Contributor

Regular Contributor

Wow!

That think is officially old!  2006?

So, it has 2 HDMI inputs.  Is that way back when you just pushed the HDMI button on the remote and it would toggle between HDMI 1 & 2?  I always disliked that as it made it difficult to 'know' what input it was on when trying to program a custom remote.

When you're adjusting "Brightness" and "Contrast" and such, the TV itself doesn't 'care' what device is plugged in to it.  If, while viewing the cable box, you bring up the menu for picture adjustment on the TV and make adjustments, then, without turning anything on or off you switch the HDMI Cable from the cable box to a BluRay Player (or any other HDMI device), the picture won't suddenly 'reset' to a different setting. 

What exactly are you saying is happening?

-KP

Regular Contributor

RE:  Is that way back when you just pushed the HDMI button on the remote and it would toggle between HDMI 1 & 2?  

No HDMI buttons on TV Remote to push. So can only toglle inputs 1,2,3,4 or 5 (hooked to DVD players)  I have HDMI-1 plugged into RNG150N.  HDMI-2 into OPPO HM-31 (see below) which is connected to BluRay plater and another DVD player (Sony which is lousy only plays 720p or if set to 1080 shrinks picture).

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/115520/Oppo-Oppo-Hm-31.html

Thanks for your help but situation is hopeless.  Had no problem until Comcast installed RNG150N.  Yes TV is 2006 model and has been superb  but since RNG 150N installed  no way to adjust video and audio settings with TV remote due to inputs not HDMI.

RE: That think is officially old!  2006?  Yes, but I won't junk it. I may have lucked out getting a TV that has worked for eleven years as my Motorola SD CRT TV has and still is. (also bought in 2006).

Thanks again most appreciated,

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

Old posting but see D.  But, I still won't junk tv (Plasma) and buy an LED TV.

https://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel-tvs/57850-help-needed-hitachi-55hds52-plasma-tv-hdmi-problem...

Expert

Do you happen to have a DVD player attached with other cables to your television at the present time?

Page 15 in your manual warns that the HDMI port's signal to television will be blocked if a DVD player is attached to protect copyright infringment.

That means you will need to remove the DVD player to get the Cable-box working. Use HDMI 1 for the cable-box.

Regular Contributor

Yes and have from day one.  Inputs 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (all non HDMI  inputs of course) and never had a problem until RNG150N installed.  Also, with TV and box off to avoid another nightmare I turned on BluRay player connected with HDMI-2 to OPPO HM-31 switch and it recognized  BluRay player and switched to it.  But I did not turn on TV because if I did I would end up with no signal again.

I'll cautiously continue to experiment.  Meanwhile TV picture is beautiful ---just turned on TCM.

Expert

So the Blu-Ray player was still connected to the tv, along with the cable-box?

Your old tv software is designed to block the signal if any player is connected while watching cable. The new cable-box considers all programming needing copyright protection.

I think you might have to also remove the Blu-Ray player to see if the cable-box works then. The older cable-boxes did not have the copyright protection required at present time. The problem might also come from the switch from MPEG2 to MPEG4 this year due to copyright protection and other modernizing issues.

Regular Contributor

BluRay Player was connected with HDMI-2 to OPPO HM31.  Although it switched to BRP I did not turn on TV or cable box.  

RE: I think you might have to also remove the Blu-Ray player to see if the cable-box works then.    Cable box works.  That is not the problem. Problem is TV remote can't be used to change video and audio settings.  Since BRP is connected to HDMI switcher would  do nothing to turn off BRP.  What is weird is while TV is on using box, of course, if I press Aspect on TV remote provides size choices --standard, zoom and expanded. I of course set it back to standard.     But I dare not try to use TV remote MENU for other settings or I'll end up with no picture and NO SIGNAL on screen.  As occurred earlier this week and was a nightmare to correct working with Comcast CSR to restore.  But at that time Box was on HDMI-2 and OPPO HM31 on HDMI-1.  Switched HDMI-2 to HDMI-1 socket on back of TV and picture through box restored.

Thank you for your suggestions but I'd better stop experimenting for awhile.  Want to keep my sanity.

Thanks again.

Regular Contributor

Update.  I opened a DVD player using its INPUT 2 (NOT HDMI) on TV remote. DVD played perfectly.  Cable box RNG150N was off when I did this.  However,  after I finished testing DVD player and turned off I then tried to use RNG150N remote to access TV picture assuming would work with HDMI-1. It failed showing No Signal and TV's INPUT-2 in upper corner.  I unplugged HDMI-1 and replugged in --also unplugged TV and cable box (is now repopulating)   Tried again with HDMI-1 but still showed no signal and TV's NPUT 2. So I switched HDMI-1 to HDMI-2 socket and TV came on showing HDMI-2.  Tried again to switch to HDMI-1 but no luck.  I suppose it does not matter if on HDMI-2 as it was earlier in the week when switching to HDMI-1 resolved.  Crazy!

So if I want to watch a DVD I won't (on this TV) due to above inexplicable hassle.  I also tried BluRay player but it would not function (is on Oppo HM-31 switch

No replies needed, I'm just going to use HD TV for viewing and nothing more (no DVDs)

Stephen L

Regular Contributor

HDMI-2 Back to HDMI-1

Need to switch HDMI-2 back to HDMI-1  This morning after entering TV remote INPUT-2 to test DVD with Comcast RNG150n box OFF upon finishing and attempting to access picture with RNG150n remote showed TV"s INPUT-2 on screen but with  NO SIGNAL.   So  I switched HDMI-1 cable  with HDMI-2 in back of TV HDMI sockets..  This restored picture and now shows HDMI-2.  Can it be switched back to HDMI-1? If so, how?  Or does it make any difference?

I  already unplugged TV, and box thinking this would restore HDMI-1 upon restarting both but it did not.

Thank you,

Stphen L

Regular Contributor

Re: HDMI-2 Back to HDMI-1

From below:  D. After connecting either player to either HDMI input 1 or HDMI input 2, the Hitachi "INFO" screen always displays: Input: 1 or Input: 2 (as it would with a composite video or NO video input); the "INFO" screen never gives any "HDMI" input indication.

https://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel-tvs/57850-help-needed-hitachi-55hds52-plasma-tv-hdmi-problem...

But, I still can't figure out how to get HDMI-1 back after having to change to HDMI-2 this morning after playing DVD on TV's INPUT 2 . If  I did not source HDMI-2 I'd have no picture.

My last theory but not thinking a wise move would be to go back  using TV remote INPUT 2 and play DVD again.  And, then  when RNG 150n won't work on HDMI-2 swich to HDMI-1  and hope it restores to -------- see attached!

but did before

As for the Panasonic DMP-BD35 BluRay player ----------- that's a lost cause.  Just won't work (but did before RGN150n installed.

IMG_0100.jpg
Regular Contributor

Re: Did it solve your problem?

Topic: Should I turn RNG150N cable box off and use TV remote to change brightness etc
Date: 11-15-2017 04:49 PM

Did it solve your problem?  NO!

Click here to view the replies and mark one as an Accepted Solution.