Community Forum

Service alerts popping up on the TV

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee

Re: Service alerts popping up on the TV

2 year old thread closed.

New Poster

Push xfinity button

Go to"iTV"

Go to "Notifications" 

Just turn them all off!

Your Welcome

Gold Problem Solver

John3758 wrote: What service alerts? ...

Maybe this? http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Comcast-Confirms-MPEG4-Shift-130256

http://www.xfinity.com/hdenhanced

Yes, I'm guessing.   Smiley Happy

Silver Problem Solver

If the popup is telling you to upgrade your DVR then the only thing that will fix it is ... upgrading your DVR. Sorry, but sounds like you got the usual clueless agents saying they know what you are talking about, when they really have no clue.

Is your DVR an old old old Pace SD only DVR by chance?

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I am sure that they are not coming from my TV.  They are being generated from Comcast.  We are being told that the service is changing and that we need to upgrade/replace our DVR's in order to continue to receive HD channels.  I calmed down and called Comcast technical support. The first call assured me that he would send a signal to stop the messages (he knew what I was talking about).  Then, the Service Alert messages started again. I called again.  The next guy stated that he could "refresh" my DVR; however, it would not stop the Service Alert messages.  I asked that if I agreed to receive a new DVR would that stop the messages.  I figured I could go ahead and get everything off my DVR and record them.  He stated that even agreeing to upgrade my DVR would not stop the service alert messages.  He asked me if he solved my problem.  I had to say no and he was a little taken back.  I had to explain that I knew it was not his fault.  This is another thing that Comcast was doing to annoy their customers; it was out of his hands.  By the way, I am also going to have to find all the series recordings that I have set up and reprogram them.  I don't watch HD channels and I don't see why I don't have a choice not to upgrade my DVR and then I can keep my own DVR with its programing and shows that I have recorded and stored.  Comcast strikes out again!

Silver Problem Solver

What service alerts? The only thing that would randomly come up on the screen from the Comcast equipment are technical/signal issues. Are you sure these aren't coming from your TV?

Frequent Visitor

Service alerts popping up on the TV

Anyone know how to stop these pesky service alerts?  I know that Comcast is making me upgrade my DVR; however, I am trying to record and save my programs to a DVD.  Everytime I try to record, I have to watch it all the way through because a "Service Alert" to upgrade my DVR comes up and ruins my recorded and saved program.  I have wasted a lot of DVD's and time.  I am so hot right now, I don't want to call customer service.  It is not those people that caused this and I want to remain calm to them; it's not their fault.  However, I am seriously considering that it is time to "cut the cable".