Community Forum

Screen Saver / Tuner Glitch with New X1 Update?

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Re: Screensaver shows when turning on the TV

@jmf1964 wrote:

@jmf1964 wrote:

I'm having the same issue as the previous poster. I also use my tv as an alarm clock, in the morning when the tv comes on the screensaver is already active. It has happened every morning this week, i have verified that there are no menus on screen when turning off the tv. Any way they can rush that update through to resolve this problem. For what i am paying for the service i shouldn't have to deal with this.

The screen saver was on again this morning when i turned on the tv.

I think I have found a work around, the screensaver seems to be activated after the nightly update, I changed the update schedule to a point later in the day. The ss will probably still come on, but later, and should not interfere with the alarm clock function, but i don't know if this will work untill i turn the tv on tomorrow morning.

Go to settings>>preferences>>daily update and chose a different time for the update.

After changing the update time to later in the day, the screen saver was not on this morning when the tv's alarm clock function kicked on and tuned to the desired channel

Valued Contributor

Re: Screen Saver / Tuner Glitch with New X1 Update?

I find it very interesting that comcast seems to put out many firmware updates that create the customers problems, then it seems to take forever or never that they get fixed.  Does comcast do any testing prior to pushing these updates out????  From my standpoint it does not seem like it.  We have been told that comcast is working on a fix for the favorites, that happened in July 2017 but we still have not seen a solution to that problem.  Is this going to go down that same path????? 

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 DVR system Screensaver Issue

Thanks for the interest but no, it's not the TV. In fact, the Comcast box almost never "sees" a TV display as I use it to tune to TV Japan continuously and my external Analog DVR records from the video out from the X1 box.

Frequent Visitor

I am experirencing the same issue, I thought it was Comcast spying on me! Thanks for your thorough explanation of the problem. Guess all we can do is wait until it is resolved.

Expert

Re: X1 DVR system Screensaver Issue

@gdawg09 wrote:

Thanks for the interest but no, it's not the TV. In fact, the Comcast box almost never "sees" a TV display as I use it to tune to TV Japan continuously and my external Analog DVR records from the video out from the X1 box.

my apologies, the problem now has been recognized. moving this thread to the big thread on the issue. no resolution yet.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
New Poster

Disable Screen Saver

Ok, I set the screen saver to 5 hours. It's fine while I'm watching. However, when I turn the set off overnight, the screen saver appears when I power on.

I really don't want or need the screen saver. This only began a few days ago. I've had my system for over 3 years and never saw a screen saver until recently.

Contributor

screensaver

For about a week now every time I turn my tv on first thing in the morning only a screen saver comes.  I understand it i a national problem but I was wondering why it is taking so long to be corrected.

Frequent Visitor

I have a couple of comments that must be made.

First, why is this stream marked "answered" when it has not been answered. Your statement

"Our engineering team is aware and in the process of fixing this."

is no answer at all, and you know it.  This statement has been made many times in many threads

here in this form for at least four years, and the problem still exists.  It is not "answered" until it

is fixed.

Next, one of the other replies to this thread says the conversation has been moved to the 'main' thread,

but doesn't say where it is.  If the discussion has been moved a clear statement should be made as

to where it is.  I have found at least 9 different threads going back at least four years for this same

problem:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Screen-Saver-Tuner-Glitch-with-New-X1-Update/m-p/3086654
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Screen-saver-on-TV-keeps-turning-on/m-p/3045440
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Screen-saver/m-p/2779539
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/X1-randomly-turns-on-screen-saver/m-p/1757595
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/TV-starts-up-with-screen-saver/m-p/2154050
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/TV-screen-changes-to-xfinity-screen-saver-at-1-45-am-every/...
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Disable-Screensaver/m-p/2478482
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/TV-Archive/Screen-saver/m-p/2607010
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-Screensaver-comes-on/m-p/2076834

It is now long past the time you stopped giving us the same old excuses and flim-flam, and gave us a real

answer.  You can start by explaining WHY there is a screen saver, and why it has a 5 hour time limit.

Perhaps if you talked to us honestly and gave us a real answer with a real reason why you're doing this

you would have a much better relationship with your customers.

Contributor

Re: screensaver

Have noticed same thing in the morning when first turn on tv.  Nice to know is just not happening to us but interesting to know is system wide glitch (did not know that). 

Contributor

When I put my tv on this morning the screensaver was not on.  Glad it has been corrected.

Contributor

maybe it will also be gone later today when I turn the tv on again.

Glad is working properly for you. 

Frequent Visitor

Still happening every morning here also. Last update shows as 05/03/18 - 86.0.2. I just did a system refresh but it didn't change anything ( the update date and version are still the same. ). I wouldn't mind this useless screensaver popping up so much if it didn't also stop the buffering of the channel it was last on. A simple "fix" would seem to be for the customer to be to able to disable the screensaver completely. It is a totally useless "feature" for the vast majority of your customers anyway.

New Poster

Still happening in TN on May 15. Last update shows as May 3

Frequent Visitor

I'm in NJ and still had the issue as of this morning, also had to reboot the box because it wouldn't connect to the X1 platform. 

Regular Contributor

Noticed my software was updated from 86.0.2 to 86.1, still dated 5/3.  No screen saver this morning which is positive news ... but I'm waiting for several days in a row without the screen saver to call this one.

Contributor

Noticed no screen saver this morning.  Checked updates for our dvr--- same as you.  Agree, will wait & see if corrected after several days to know has been corrected. 

Frequent Visitor

I still see 86.0.2, though the system was on and had full connectivity.

Official Employee

Hello All, 

For those of you still having this issue, please reach out to me in a private message so I can reach out to the advanced techs and engineers again. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the account number or phone number associated with your services. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope we have this taken care of soon. 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

New Poster

Yes, there is a major side effect. If you happen to turn on your TV and there is no screen saver, your picture will lock up when you try to play a recording. At least mine does. 

Contributor

My tv is fine now.  Hope everyone else has their tv fix Lao.

Frequent Visitor

My receiver has been working properly for two days.  As pabgrams said, I hope it's working for others.

What is more important is how long this "fix" lasts.  This problem has been reoccurring for several years;

there is no telling when it might happen again. Comcast won't officially commit to a real solution, or even

explain why the system works the way it does:  until we get a real fix for this (the ability to really turn the

screen saver off or set a longer timeout) we can all expect the problem will come back some day.

Expert

@Anonymous133333 wrote:

My receiver has been working properly for two days.  As pabgrams said, I hope it's working for others.

What is more important is how long this "fix" lasts.  This problem has been reoccurring for several years;

there is no telling when it might happen again. Comcast won't officially commit to a real solution, or even

explain why the system works the way it does:  until we get a real fix for this (the ability to really turn the

screen saver off or set a longer timeout) we can all expect the problem will come back some day.

problem was fixed with a new XRE menu version (same date but differnet version number).

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

Regular Visitor

I am still having this issue and still show Version 86.02 and release timestamp of 5/03/2018. Do others have a later version that we don't have in the Chicago area?

Expert

@kritselis wrote:

I am still having this issue and still show Version 86.02 and release timestamp of 5/03/2018. Do others have a later version that we don't have in the Chicago area?

call 800-Comcast select TV. ask the agent to use the X-ray tool to update your XRE (menu) version to 86.1.0