Community Forum

SD comcast

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Contributor

SD comcast

I don’t want to watch programs on HD but the standard number not 804 but 4. How do I do this
Silver Problem Solver

Re: SD comcast

Press 4 on your remote??

Official Employee

On your remote
Xfinity button to Gear Symbol to Preferences to General to Prefer Best Available Resolution and press OK. Then press channel 4
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

I was told by a Comcast employee I could not get the NBC station, for example, by using channel 4 and having that number shown instead of the HD number 804. I prefer the look of the people in the non HD view. I also don’t want to memorize the HD numbers. I speak as a senior citizen who advocates for other people like myself and the handicapped who experience the learning curve as too steep. The Comcast employee directed me to my package and said there was no such conversion available for those of us who want it. It is one of the changes that Comcast Has made including not being able to put headset plugged in to the former box I had.
Official Employee

Did you try the instructions above?
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

I have no resolution to my question. I have not “resolved” my question. I went through the path
Andrew recommended and it does not let me choose programs using the original numbers and not the HD for watching all programs not just videos. The heading for my question is probably wrong. I asked if SD would resolve how I watch programs. I don’t know what SD does - it was a choice I thought I might have to watch programs in a non-HD mode. I deserve no kudos. I have no answers for the ability to do the above.
Silver Problem Solver

I am just curious. Do you have an HD box, and an HD TV? Have you tried pressing 4 on the remote to see if that is what you want? Have you tried plugging a headset into the TV?

Official Employee

Your box auto tunes channels to the HD version. Channel 4 goes to the HD equivalent. When you follow my instructions and toggle with an ok push and turn off the Best Available Resolution, channel 4 SD will stay on channel 4

Contributor

Andrew, thank you for  addressing my problem.  I tried my best to follow the solution that you gave me.  It is good to know there is one but I need help with the toggle part I guess. I was told in a phone call to a Comcast person that it was not possible. I will call another time and try a new person who can go step by step with me.

Contributor

Barbie123  I wish I could see the question as I write.  I have brand new smart television, new wifi set up  and X1 boxes that have no room for a headset jack.  I cannot keep the channel 4 number and concsecutive numbers as it goes to 804 with the program on either of my X1 boxes.  I also was left no documentation to tell anyone which boxes and remotes I now own.   

Contributor

Barbie 123

I wish I could see the question as I write.  I have brand new smart television, new wifi set up  and X1 boxes that have no room for a headset jack.With other problems with setup that I am left with I am left with long nights. I have tried pressing channel 4 and it will go to 804 HD as it connects with the program.  I hope you get this I don't' see my answer I wrote to you.  I'm trying again.

Silver Problem Solver

Your TV may have a headset jack. It is very unusual for someone to prefer an SD picture over an HD one. Please say again why you do not like HD.

Contributor

Andrew you solved the problem. It appears that on the X1 box with the blue stripe and the X1 box with the blue or green circle can be changed off of HD numbers to the original numbers by hitting the Xfinity button beside the Guide button on the remote I have that is very minimalistic looking with no numbers.
Next, go to the Gear icon at the end of the choices, hit that then preferences then turn off Prefer Best Available Resolution and go directly to a non HD station that is an original number like 4 and it will stay at that number and not change to 804HD, for example. Thank you Andrew
Contributor

Barbie123.  The problem of changing from HD to regular programing number is moot because Andrew's solution was right.  I have no idea how to make a green a check mark.  As to why I want to do this:  First of all the features on the people are taller and unrealistic. Most importantly to people like myself who are senior citizens with age appropriate handicaps like hearing and  remembering new numbers because   we cannot process new information easily I represent all of them who deserve an easier path to receiving a new television and believing we should get comcast's newest box if necessary and wifi and router equipment. We feel a need to keep up but the installation of all of this at once is a nightmare. I have new passwords that are for Xfinity but are they for Xfinity wifi?  Is that one in the same?  I have no documentation to name the comcast products. My printer does not work because the wifi has changed from one name to 2 and I don't know the password that applies.  I have no place to plug in my headset to hear.  I can ratchet up the volumn to a high number and find the neighbors have complained to the board about me as they have others.I am also isloated from watching anything with friends and family who are not hard of hearing.  My said community does not need more isolation.   I can use closed caption but that was not necessary or even desireable when I can use headset.  Why did you not put the function on the new X1 box to connect my audio headset?

Silver Problem Solver

There is no reason for you to be having any of the problems you describe. I do not believe that the cable box is correctly connected to your TV, or the HD picture would be perfect. Your WiFi , printer and password issues can easily be sorted out. Your sound problems can be fixed. Comcast does not do a good job, or even try, to show people how to use their particular setup. All you really need is a handy friend, or neighborhood kid to come by and fix your setup. I do it for friends and neighbors quite often.

And by the way, I am also a senior citizen.

Contributor

Barbie 123  I agree with you.  Being a senior citizen is a shock to me.  My backgrouond however is working with people with mental and physical disabilities to get them able to be independent.  I worked with Cancer patients and homeless.  I also taught computer programs. Then I got a job out of that area in overseeing training  in a well-known department store where they catered to customers and had a innovative technology lab to make visits easier for those with disabilities. They never have to try on clothing to see themselves in the clothes they are interested in.  They appear in the clothes in the mirror.   

I do some volunteer work with seniors now.  There is a national center for disabilites in my town 6 miles from Washington DC.  I plan on using all that I have done in my career to lobby for better service for everyone's needs  No one should have go through what I have. No one should have to know intuitively anything.    Not everyone wants another learning curve.  The most abusive is to take away an outlet for a headset on the new X1 equipment, We have the biggest school for deaf and partially deaf people in the country right here  Someone from Comcast may bring out new X1 boxes but so far Comcast office on disability (not real name.) does not know whether they will support a simple head set. My television doesn't and the last one didn't either.   I have met by phone good people at Comcast in this last week.  It was not until the equipment came that I ended up with new user names and passwords without documentation.  The guy was here for a couple of hours and worked hard. He used ot work as a part time emoyee at $6.50 cents.  Comcast is successful because they used untrained employees on phone calls with the customer asking for technical help,  I wrote a sensational article to the New York Times about days I took off and people who hung up and they ran it for 3 days to accomodate their readers who wanted to vent about Comcast.   

There are new careers for people in the area of customized individual teaching at huge places of work. It just has not been done yet.   I will encourage the best people I find at Comcast and Sprint and CVS to make the most of their compassion and brains. It does not take a college degree for people to do this. Thanks.  Wherever this posts will be a mystery to me. 

Expert

If you have a DVR exchange it for the newest model XG1v4 - there is a thread on the customer service area of the forum just for ordering the version 4 DVR. If you want a non-DVR there is only one that has bluetooth.(xi5). It will not connect via coax, it is wireless or ethernet connected only. based on latest offereings the new boxes as they are added will have bluetooth connectivity for headphones. Please note that the bluetooth output is fixed in volume level and the earphone must contain ability to adjust it's own volume.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Official Employee

Ellie45, possible solutions for your headphone question can be found here
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Re-Sound-quality/m-p/3102915

Contributor

Thank you Rusty.  As soon as I get my wireless printer up and running I will use your advice by giving it to the person from Comcast. With our hope and suggestions I can assure that whether I am told no on line by a technician  will turn it into a yes. 

You are great too.  How do I give you a green check mark.  You have solved stuff.

Expert

@ellie45 wrote:

Thank you Rusty.  As soon as I get my wireless printer up and running I will use your advice by giving it to the person from Comcast. With our hope and suggestions I can assure that whether I am told no on line by a technician  will turn it into a yes. 

You are great too.  How do I give you a green check mark.  You have solved stuff.

if you mean by answer you can log in and the choice will appear at the top of each post. 

what is your brand/model of printer, let's get that working now. normally you can do it either from a web page 'interface' or from front panel of printer. if you do it from front panel of printer. If you have set up 'new' wifi for a smart device (android/apple) or a wireless laptop, then the procedure is very much the same (nearly automatic). The printer will need to know your 'network name' (nerdy name SSID) and network password so it can join. the rest is automatic.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

Rustyben.  You are kind to offer. How did you know I have been trying to use the new  name and password given me.  There are 2 names Diana and Diana1 because one is for the bytes outside and the other inside and the password.  That does not work.I tried the password off the sticky label on the wifi/router.  I'm doing some thing wrong. I have seen the WPA and ssid somewhere - maybe in the settings part of my iPhone.  I haven't had the chance to read about this.  It was soooo easy when I first installed the printer.

(The tech guy who installed the new router/wifi left the old wifi box here still. Should I take the router back to comcast?)

Silver Problem Solver

Yes, take the old router to your nearest Xfinity Store and request them to take it off your account.

Contributor

Thank you  RobertWy fir your answer. I will do that