Community Forum

SD aspect ratio

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Visitor

Re: SD aspect ratio

It's an X1 box.

The auto-tune HD feature is active. I almost entirely watch HD  channels, with rare exceptions. There are many SD-only channels, though.

I thought that what I'm seeing must be exactly that: a 16:9 image letterboxed into 4:3, which is not rescaled to fill the screen. Not ideal.

It may be that things have been like this for a long time, and that I had a false impression due to just landing on a 4:3 channel when testing in the past.

Comcast Support seems tro be clueless about this, unfortunately.

Valued Contributor

Re: SD aspect ratio

A lot of the times this ends up being an issue with the souce video being reformatted too many times.  Most broadcasters simply reformat the 16:9 HD feeds and letterbox them into a 4:3 format.  I've noticed for whatever reason that on some channels they are getting formatted a second time causing the bars all the way around.  Is this on an X1 box or an older style cable box?  If it is on X1 I would say just enable the auto-tune HD feature to bypass the SDs entirely as there are very few that aren't available in HD.

Regular Visitor

SD aspect ratio

I have a service with HD. STB was set to 1080p out. (I also tried 720p out.)

The STB glitched on Saturday, so I had to call for a refresh to restore it.

After that, I noticed that soem of the SD channels displayed as expected, with a 4:3 aspect rato. (Filled the 16:9 screen vertically, with black bars on the sides.) Most of the SD channels displayed a 16:9 image that didn't fill the screen (Black bars on all 4 sides.) After spending a hour with two levels of Comcast support yesterday, I gave up and swapped the STB. The problem persists. If I set the display zoom function to "full", the 16:9 images are stretched horizontally to fill the screen, and are distorted.

I looked more closely. The SD channels that displayed at 16:9 really are16:9 content. I can zoom using the TV to approximately fill the screen.

Is this a bug or a feature?