Community Forum

Removing a DVR

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Regular Contributor

Removing a DVR

I am going to be returning on of my X1 DVR's.

I understand that I will lose whatever has been recoded on that DVR.

My question is about any future recordings...... do I need to delete them and then add them back...... or will the Whole House DVR system recognize that one of the DVR's has been removed and to shift the scheduled recordings to one of the other DVR's?

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Removing a DVR

stu,

I believe your schedule is on the cloud and will restore to the new box. However there was a time when recordings on the old box would show up as "phantom" recordings on the new box. I haven't heard about this for awhile so maybe it is no longer an issue however if it were me I would delete all of the recordings from the old box before it is taken out of service.

@psdstu wrote:

My question is about any future recordings...... do I need to delete them and then add them back...... or will the Whole House DVR system recognize that one of the DVR's has been removed and to shift the scheduled recordings to one of the other DVR's?

Thanks!

Valued Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

stu,

I believe your schedule is on the cloud and will restore to the new box. However there was a time when recordings on the old box would show up as "phantom" recordings on the new box. I haven't heard about this for awhile so maybe it is no longer an issue however if it were me I would delete all of the recordings from the old box before it is taken out of service.

@psdstu wrote:

Thanks!

Hi.  No need to delete the recordings.  When the box(es) are removed from your account in billing the X1 cloud knows about the removal and will not show those recordings in the user interface any longer.  Your DVR schedule WILL continue to set future recordings on remaining/new DVR boxes.  Now, if you have cloud DVR access in your area and on your account, those recordings that were made (even with the returned boxes) will continue to be available in the cloud on your mobile devices/computers.  Just a heads up!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Contributor

@ComcastNeal wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

stu,

@psdstu wrote:

Thanks!

Hi.  No need to delete the recordings.  When the box(es) are removed from your account in billing the X1 cloud knows about the removal and will not show those recordings in the user interface any longer.  Your DVR schedule WILL continue to set future recordings on remaining/new DVR boxes.  Now, if you have cloud DVR access in your area and on your account, those recordings that were made (even with the returned boxes) will continue to be available in the cloud on your mobile devices/computers.  Just a heads up!

Thanks Rick and Neal,

I will go ahead and delete the recordings from the box I will be returning.  I do not plan on replacing the box...just going from 3 -2 boxes.

I was more concerned about the future scheduled recordings in making sure that they are recorded to the correct boxes now that I am going from 3-2 DVR's.

Thanks again!