Community Forum

Remote wont turn off cable box

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Expert

Re: Remote wont turn off cable box

closed two year old thread

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
New Poster

I just got my box and to turn off the box I press mic and ask to turn off the box. Simple as that.
Gold Problem Solver

Sounds like you switched from legacy service (remote will turn the box off) to X1 service (remote has never turned the box off).

FYI, the veteran members of this forum know as much or more about X1 than just about any Comcast employee that might respond here...

FYI #2, X1 service is almost three years old now. Your question has been asked and answered countless times. If you don't believe what you are being told, simply search this forum...

mpsarge wrote:
Yes it did turn off when i first got box. We got our new bix same time and they both turned off and on with remote then on a update it stopped. Id rather have comcast reply. I do know what box did.

Silver Problem Solver

mpsarge wrote:
Yes it did turn off when i first got box. We got our new bix same time and they both turned off and on with remote then on a update it stopped. Id rather have comcast reply. I do know what box did.

Try calling Comcast technical support.

1-877-896-8678

(You can use the power button to turn it off, but not from the remote)

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

mpsarge wrote:
Yes it did turn off when i first got box. We got our newbix same time and they both turned off and on with remote then on a update it stopped. Id rather havecomcast reply. I do know what box did.

I have had the X1 platform for 2+ years and I have never been able to trun the boxes off with the remote.

X1 boxes are designed to stay powered on 24x7 but you can enter into Power Save mode ( very little wattage savings ) by going into Settings and selecting how many hours of inactivity before the box enters that mode.  You can also enter Power Save mode by pressing the left arrow, scrolling all the way down, then right arrow and OK and you can just manually press the ON/POWER SAVE button.

You can view power usage for all boxes from this link: http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/set-top-box-energy-usage

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information - (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers, the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.   Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you. 
******* Comcast Official Employees (OE) are identified with
RED lettered User Names. *******

Regular Visitor

Regular Contributor

As far back as I can remember the X1 box never turned off.  They designed it to stay on all the time.  You can set it to sleep in the settings, or just leave it on.

Regular Visitor

Remote wont turn off cable box

Used to work. So did a few around block. We all say after ipdate a while ago stopped working. Can turn both on but can not turn both off with all button