Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Recovering recording after X1 box ir replaced.

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

Recovering recording after X1 box ir replaced.

I had to replace my Xfinity X1 DVR cable box. Now I lost all my recorded shows. Is there any way to get these shows back? I was told the reason to get X1 is that things like this won't happen. All my dvr recordings will be saved.

I would like an explanation as to why:

1. Customers were charged to have the X1 installed when it wasn't necessary.
2. Why can't these recordings be recoveted, without a computer or apps
3. Why was recovery a selling point when in fact, it isn't possible with only a television and cable box
4. Why were customers, with external stotage, forced to switch to the X1 box, thereby losing recordings and unable to connect an external drive anymore (essentially forcing customers to pay for more storage space)

These are questions and issues that must be addressed.
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Recovering recording after X1 box ir replaced.

The recordings are still on the cloud and can be viewed on phones and tablets but the actual recordings on the DVR are gone and cannot be retrieved. The cloud does not back up the DVR at least not yet.

There been lots of incorrect information passed around on this topic.
Expert

actually the current firmware/software give you complete access on your X1 equipment to your cloud recordings and they are displayed along with local recordings. Playback will show a little white cartoon icon in front of the the 'source' name DVR. 

Gold Problem Solver

Thanks Rusty. I didn't know...

Gold Problem Solver

Rustyben wrote: ... the current firmware/software give you complete access on your X1 equipment to your cloud recordings ...

Are you sure that holds for a box swap? If so, why didn't it work for the OP? Also, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/ says:

In the event of a DVR box swap, will I still have access to my recordings?
Yes, but only from mobile devices or computers. Because recordings are still saved on the hard drive, you will not be able to watch your old recordings on the TV.
Official Employee

That article hasn't been fully updated, that feature was added in the last month
Problem Solver

That still might not have worked for the OP if they never activated the Cloud DVR. Possibly why OP is not seeing old recordings. If nothing has changed in the past few months, Cloud DVR rate code is not added automatically, and must be requested by a user. Also possible OP is or was not in a Cloud DVR market prior to exchanging box.

BruceW wrote:

Rustyben wrote: ... the current firmware/software give you complete access on your X1 equipment to your cloud recordings ...

Are you sure that holds for a box swap? If so, why didn't it work for the OP? Also, https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/ says:

In the event of a DVR box swap, will I still have access to my recordings?
Yes, but only from mobile devices or computers. Because recordings are still saved on the hard drive, you will not be able to watch your old recordings on the TV.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

actually the current firmware/software give you complete access on your X1 equipment to your cloud recordings and they are displayed along with local recordings. Playback will show a little white cartoon icon in front of the the 'source' name DVR. 

I didn't know this either until about a month ago when I got a new DVR.  I was very surprised to see all my recordings from the old DVR listed in SAVED and available to watch on the new device.

I just recently found out though, that your Parental Controls are not copied to the new device.

Contributor

what is this feature activated last month? My old recordings never came back...
Expert

SheeranGirlX wrote:
what is this feature activated last month? My old recordings never came back...

did you swap out your DVR? the cloud DVR holds only 'up to' the last 60 hours recorded. Also any reocrdings before mid-June 2016 are not available on the Home DVR to be played from teh cloud DVR. 

New Poster

I am expecting a Comcast Tech tomorrow to swap out my X-1 Cloud DVR device. There are a lot of recorded movies currently on the box and each time I chat or call Comcast, they all tell me that since I have a "cloud" DVR, that there shouldn't be a problem getting my programs back onto the new machine. Now I am reading otherwise. So what is the purpose of having a "cloud" device?  Hopefully, by the time the tech leaves my house tomorrow (after swapping out the box), everything will be in place. After all, Comcast is supposed to be a large telecomm company, and the definition of "cloud storage" is to have everything saved to a remote server and to have a backup copy of everything to play on my TV (not a mobile device or computer). If they can't even do this, ..... (fill in the blanks)!

Official Employee

The cloud dvr holds the last 60 hours of recording, anything past that will be lost.
Gold Problem Solver

You can't view the cloud DVR feature as a "back up" for your DVR. If you swap your X1 DVR your physical recordings will be gone. Recordings do not copy back from the cloud to your new DVR.

The cloud holds roughly the last 60 hours of what you recorded. It's primary purpose is for recording playback on tablets and phones.

The problem with playing recordings back from the cloud on your TV is the picture quality is poor (look likes 480p) and the sound is only stereo.

Yes Comcast could have done this much better. It is what it is.

JG64 wrote:

I am expecting a Comcast Tech tomorrow to swap out my X-1 Cloud DVR device. There are a lot of recorded movies currently on the box and each time I chat or call Comcast, they all tell me that since I have a "cloud" DVR, that there shouldn't be a problem getting my programs back onto the new machine. Now I am reading otherwise. So what is the purpose of having a "cloud" device?  Hopefully, by the time the tech leaves my house tomorrow (after swapping out the box), everything will be in place. After all, Comcast is supposed to be a large telecomm company, and the definition of "cloud storage" is to have everything saved to a remote server and to have a backup copy of everything to play on my TV (not a mobile device or computer). If they can't even do this, ..... (fill in the blanks)!

Expert

JG64 wrote:

hi, why are they changing out the box?

Gold Problem Solver

I rarely agree with rusty but he has a very good point here. Why do you feel your X1 DVR needs to be replaced?

Rustyben wrote:

JG64 wrote:

hi, why are they changing out the box?