Community Forum

Rebooting Nightly???

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: Rebooting Nightly???

Frequent Visitor

Just rember what CATV stands for Community Access Television. I feel Comcast should just not pay any franchise fees. What would the city do cut the wires off the poles? Just tink if Comcast has 30 million TV subscribers. All those people pay $8 for the retrans fees that's over $150 million. I also feel if they want to charge those fees then TV stations shouldn't be allowed to take the shows off we pay for. WGAL likes to do this with their stupid programing. They have a digital sub channel which shows MASH a show that was on over 40 years ago. They should be told they're not allowed to pre-empt new shows. And $3 for regional sports a lot of people in the area complain when the local CBS station airs the Ravens instead of the Steelers. They run a crawl at the bottom of the screen just to rub it in.

Regular Contributor

Comcast has always been bashed for their billing structure, and in my opinion it is mostly their fault.  There's no reason for them to break out the broadcast TV fee and regional sports fee.  If it is something that every customer is being charged, it should be built into the bundle price.  Comcast's competitors are even boasting that they don't charge those extra fees, as a dig to Comcast.  I guarantee that they are charging for them, they're just included in the package price.

Expert

altlandf wrote:

Comcast is like BB&T bank. They just love to charge you for everything.  $5 for a broadcast TV fee. (retransmission consent). $3 regional sports fee. $9.99 HD tech fee. Charge for the X1 even know we're nothing more than beta testers.  The fees go on and on. Set a recording for every night at 2 am. As for BB&T don't ever bank with them they are crooks and will rip you off every chance they can.

your federal, state, and municipal govt pass all kinds of charges onto the cable and telephone companies. Most people don't understand that business does not pay taxes aof any kind they just charge customers for the 'tax/fee' and don't get the blame for assessing the tax by the taxpayers.

The only legitimate fee in my opinion is the sports fee (I watch zero regional sports) as it is passed back to the teams, and the fee for TV rebroadcast to keep it available for cable. I'd hate to have to have some kind of 'joined' antenna/cable signal in my home.

All the 'franchise fees' are direct taxes to you charged to you via the cable company. complain to your city/town but know it will fall on deaf ears as it is their cash cow not comcast.

re: HD fee, I'll give that one to. It costs nothing extra to give you a linear HD chan other than more data flow and since it is always on, zero extra cost to let you use it.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here(updated).
Frequent Visitor

Comcast is like BB&T bank. They just love to charge you for everything.  $5 for a broadcast TV fee. (retransmission consent). $3 regional sports fee. $9.99 HD tech fee. Charge for the X1 even know we're nothing more than beta testers.  The fees go on and on. Set a recording for every night at 2 am. As for BB&T don't ever bank with them they are crooks and will rip you off every chance they can.

New Poster

I agree 100% that customers should be able to have some type of control over this. I just switched to Comcast about a week ago from DISH Network after 3 years. My issue with the nightly reboots, is that I have an autistic son who keeps cartoons on all night due background noise. It helps him sleep. I also keep my television on all night as well. Well, it hasn't been fun waking up at 2am to a loud snow screen.. which in turn, wakes my son up; then he won't go back to bed. Is frustrating. With Dish, I was able to choose my own update time, wish was wonderful!
I also thought I'd be saving money with Xfinity. I got the $89.99 "deal" and it ends up being like $140.00 after all is said and done. I can't believe I got a $15 self installation charge! I'm still unsure on what I'm going to do, but these nightly reboots as well as price changes are a big deal to me. I'm grateful that my Dish is still active my home and I have 30 days to change my mind about Xfinity/Comcast. We'll see what happens!
Frequent Visitor

altlandf wrote:

This needs to be something the customer can control. Last night I lost WGAL 808 for about 15 minutes. The X1 wont allow you to tune to the SD version of WGAL Channel 3.

Turn off auto tune to HD channels in preferences.

Frequent Visitor

This needs to be something the customer can control. Last night I lost WGAL 808 for about 15 minutes. The X1 wont allow you to tune to the SD version of WGAL Channel 3.

Frequent Visitor

This is the same issue i have with my service. I also was told you can't set what time to restart the X1. You also need to watch your bill Comcast just loves to put charges on your bill. You can have the same services for a year and the bill will NEVER be the same. I am not talking cents but $$$$. Don't EVER enroll in auto bill pay. This one customer did this and his bill jumped $30 for no reason. I seen the requester you're talking about. Sometimes i catct it sometimes I don't and it wakes me up. I hate when they don't provide the services that you have paid for. I once seen a message on the X1 Thank you for being a great customer. You deserve the best. This NEVER happens. There's always some issue.

Silver Problem Solver

The X1 system reboots EVERYONE's boxes EVERY night.  It can't be controlled by the user.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Rebooting Nightly???

I am fairly new to comcast. I am regreting my decision to switch to this company due to the many issues I have had in the short 3 months. I noticed that every night (early morning) around 2:00 am est my box ask me to reboot. I called in after having the service for about a week or two to ask why this is happening. It ruins the enjoyment of my services. The technical support person told me that yes that is how X1 works. They said it was like an computer that needs to be rebooted every night, although I haven't seen a computer that needed to be rebooted nighly since the late 80's especially if you aren't adding any new information to the servers (recordiongs). I then asked could I change the reboot time. They weren't aware of how that can happen. Tech Support mentioned that X1 was new, so I assumed they will evenually work out the bugs and correct this inconvience soon.  

Well fast forward to me calling in about my home secuirty issue and I mention how unhappy I am with Comcast as a whole (billing, tech, and home security issues) and a tech tells me that my tv should not need to be rebooted nightly. They send a signal to the devices and we hope for the best.  That night there were no rebooting requests....Happy and Excited yet disappointed at the almost 2 months of rebooting my system because of incorrect information provided by someone whom apparently wasn't trained to do their job correctly.  

But now to my current issue. This morning at approximately 2:00 am I took a photo of that rebooting option that popped up on my TV. I need to know is this something that happens monthly, weekly, or it shouldn't be happening at all? When I customer feel like they have to take photos and recordings when dealing with a company, it's time to part ways. I am not asking too much. I just want a company to provide me with the services that we agreed to. I understand issues happen.  The issue I am having with Comcast is the lack of training from the employees. 

Help