Community Forum

Re: Picture Quality

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

New Poster

I recently bought a 55" LG OLED, and the picture quality on Xfinity X1 is awful. I went from DirecTv, still in my 30 days grace period with Comcast and might be going back to DTV... I had a Xfinity representitive come to my home he changed out the splitter and the picture quality is still awful. I've checked the settings on the Box and TV all he kept telling me was the signal passed, well that's great and all but the picture is still awful.

Silver Problem Solver

Which X1 model do you have?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Due to Comcast's use of highly over-compressed MPEG-4, down-rezzing to 720p, and using CBR compression with it, Comcast's VQ is one of the lowest in the industry. DirecTV and FiOS are generally regarded as the best, although FiOS is only available in certain areas, whereas DirecTV is available anywhere in the CONUS, HI, and most of AK.

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

kevs1 wrote:

I recently bought a 55" LG OLED, and the picture quality on Xfinity X1 is awful. I went from DirecTv, still in my 30 days grace period with Comcast and might be going back to DTV... I had a Xfinity representitive come to my home he changed out the splitter and the picture quality is still awful. I've checked the settings on the Box and TV all he kept telling me was the signal passed, well that's great and all but the picture is still awful.

I got a 65" Lg oled in November and I just installed ( today) an antenna in the attic and the channels I get that I actually want to watch -CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX- look noticeably better than my xg1v4. I like the  convenience of cable( number of channels )  and the dvr but when the NFL playoffs come on this weekend I'll be watching on the antenna. Only thing I'll miss is pause and rewind. It's a shame for the money I pay that an antenna I bought which costs less than half of one months cable bill looks better.

Expert

cldlhd wrote:

kevs1 wrote:

I got a 65" Lg oled in November and I just installed ( today) an antenna in the attic and the channels I get that I actually want to watch -CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX- look noticeably better than my xg1v4. I like the  convenience of cable( number of channels )  and the dvr but when the NFL playoffs come on this weekend I'll be watching on the antenna. Only thing I'll miss is pause and rewind. It's a shame for the money I pay that an antenna I bought which costs less than half of one months cable bill looks better.

interesting. The local channels are carried live with no recoding in the same format as transmitted (mpeg2 at 720p or 1080i). maybe your xg1v4 is not handling the upconvert to 4k as well as you would like? might get a better picture to compare if you put the X1 box in 720p60 output mode and let the TV do the upscaling. worth a try? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!