Community Forum

Re: Multiple Boxes, same room, remote changes ALL TVs

Xfinity Forum Archive
About the archive project

Xfinity Forum Archive...

This is an archived section of the community.

Content in this area has been identified as outdated or irrelevant.

This change was done in an effort to make the forum easier to use and to keep only the most helpful and recent content active.

Post your questions in the Xfinity Community

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I hope this is still a hot topic and that there may be some fix coming eventually. To update my particular situation... I upgraded to the X1 platform. My X1 DVR is a completely different manufatcurer than my other box (a Cicso RNG 150) but the remotes still interfere with one another! However, both boxes can coexist in the same room but with some oddities. The Cisco remote does NOT make any changes to the X1 DVR. BUT, the X1 remote makes changes to the Cisco box. I can watch my main program with the X1, and flip around among other shows with the Cisco. However, if I call up the X1 DVR Menu, and scroll trhough my saved programs to view one, I simultaneously step through the Cisco menus. I nearly purchased an on-demand movie numerous time doing this!!! Has anyone heard of any progress with this issue? 

Gold Problem Solver

I have theories about what is going on here. I see no fix to this and the fact that your boxes come from different manufactures means nothing. The different cable box manufactures are still building to Comcast IR code requirements. Unless Comcast comes up with remote codes sets that are user adjustable like old Sony VCRs used to have, I think you are in trouble.

Companies that make ultra high end control systems like Crestron or AMX that use RS-232 command language can get around this.

FYI, knowing what I know about AV control systems, this does not fall to Comcast to fix. They aren't doing anything wrong. It falls to you to fix and that fix exists at the ultra high end of AV control gear.

@Steveromo wrote:

I hope this is still a hot topic and that there may be some fix coming eventually. To update my particular situation... I upgraded to the X1 platform. My X1 DVR is a completely different manufatcurer than my other box (a Cicso RNG 150) but the remotes still interfere with one another! However, both boxes can coexist in the same room but with some oddities. The Cisco remote does NOT make any changes to the X1 DVR. BUT, the X1 remote makes changes to the Cisco box. I can watch my main program with the X1, and flip around among other shows with the Cisco. However, if I call up the X1 DVR Menu, and scroll trhough my saved programs to view one, I simultaneously step through the Cisco menus. I nearly purchased an on-demand movie numerous time doing this!!! Has anyone heard of any progress with this issue? 

Silver Problem Solver

Yeah, you can pair the remote to the DVR, but not the HD box, so one remote will always work both boxes. 

Are the boxes sitting on top of each other? Maybe put them on differnt sides of the room, or see if you can orient them so that only one box receives a signal? If the boxes have IR inputs, maybe get an IR extender and put those far apart?

Gold Problem Solver

Other than a high end control system like I mentioned before, the only other solution is to physically separate the boxes enough that the remote commands can't see each other. Obviously this would require careful aiming of the remote...

Official Employee

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/quot-XR8-quot-availability-RF-for-X1-Companion-Boxes/td-p/2270531

Other than that have you tried the IR sensor that comes with DTAS?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

This would work but he would have a multi remote system. He would have one XR2 for one box and another XR2 for the other box. They would need to be shielded from IR and see RF only. How would he run the rest of his system. Sounds like a nightmare.

If the OP had two X1 DVRs he could do it, but he would need to shield the IR and he would be dealing with multiple remotes. At least three.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/quot-XR8-quot-availability-RF-for-X1-Companion-Boxes/td-p/2270531

Official Employee

This would work but he would have a multi remote system. He would have one XR2 for one box and another XR2 for the other box. They would need to be shielded from IR and see RF only. How would he run the rest of his system. Sounds like a nightmare.

If the OP had two X1 DVRs he could do it, but he would need to shield the IR and he would be dealing with multiple remotes. At least three.

ComcastAndrew wrote:

If that's the case I would recommend the IR sensor that comes with DTAs and put it on the side of the companion box furthest from the DVR. Or use 2 terminals instead of one of each, that's without knowing how many other boxes the OP has.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Gold Problem Solver

We don't know everything the OP has or is trying to accomplish. What I do know is I cannot think of a scenario where the OP would be using a single remote and not having to move one of the boxes and point the remote multiple directions.

If the OP has outboard AV gear, is not willing to move one of the boxes and insists on a one remote solution, it would take a very high end control system to accomplish this.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

If that's the case I would recommend the IR sensor that comes with DTAs and put it on the side of the companion box furthest from the DVR. Or use 2 terminals instead of one of each, that's without knowing how many other boxes the OP has.

New Poster

Hello,

How do Sports Bars get around this?  We (my bar) just got 2 HD boxes RNG110 that are stacked on top of each other to control two TV's in one room.  The installers said I needed to get an IR receiver but after reading a handful of posts on this topic, that doesn't seem to be the answer, either.  It's not possible to separate the boxes to different rooms or locations, and every time one channel is changed the other changes, too.  Any help?  Thanks

Would it be possible to use the Xfinity app on an android or iphone device to control one box (and tape over the IR sensor) and use the remote for the other? 

Silver Problem Solver

RNG110 boxes are not X1 DVR's.  X1 companions are RNG150's.  It seems you don't have X1.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Valued Contributor

@Steveromo wrote:

Are you using the XR2 remote to control your X1 DVR?  If so, your XR2 remote is not paired with your X1 DVR.  The reason that I know this is that the XR2 remote does not transmit IR signals when it is paired.  Your RNG 150 only responds to IR codes.  Your X1 DVR responds to both RF and IR codes, regardless of whether or not an XR2 remote is paired with it.

Regular Contributor

SOLVED. After having the X1 in place for several weeks I finally got around to pairing the remote and the DVR. After doing so, the X1 remote no longer changes the Cisco so each remote controls one box only. I didn't realize that pairing was a task that you had to manually perform, and that it would stop transmitting IR once it was paired. All is good... for now!!!